Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
Care for Caregivers Support Group
Care for Caregivers is intended to provide education, support, and peer networking opportunities to anyone who identifies as a patient caregiver. Our support group is designed around a trimester model that allows you to attend at your convenience.
Each month will highlight a topic, with each week devoted to different aspects of the topic. Group meetings occur each week, unless otherwise noted. Clinicians from the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and Radiation Oncology will lead group discussions. Door prize giveaways are also provided!
Any adult caregiver of a Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center patient may attend. The support group is free. To attend, just show up and participate. It’s that simple! Weekly sessions allow you to attend at your convenience. You can also call the HOPE line at 214-645-HOPE (4673) or 866-460-HOPE (4673) for additional information.
Support Group Time and Location
When: Every Wednesday afternoon from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Where: Radiation Oncology Building, 2280 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX, 75390. Valet parking validation and light refreshments are provided at no cost.
Support Group Topics
Self-Care for Caregivers: Learn skills to enhance your overall wellness, using specific strategies to improve personal self-care practices.
Advocacy for Care-Receiver: Develop competence in advocating for your loved one with consideration of how to embrace a collaborative approach to care.
Maintaining and Enhancing Relationships: Strengthen or redefine current and previous relationships as you learn skills in boundary setting, communication, and support across family, friends, and medical team members.
Meaning-Making in Caregiving: Renew your purpose and reclaim your energy as you reassess your commitment to providing care while being attuned to the values that guide your engagement.
Support Group Schedule
- January: Self-Care for Caregivers
- February: Advocacy for the Care-Receiver
- March: Maintaining and Enhancing Relationships
- April: Meaning-Making in Caregiving
- May: Self-Care for Caregivers
- June: Advocacy for the Care-Receiver
- July: Maintaining and Enhancing Relationships
- August: Meaning-Making in Caregiving
- September: Self-Care for Caregivers
- October: Advocacy for the Care-Receiver
- November: Maintaining and Enhancing Relationships
- December: Meaning-Making in Caregiving