- Fellowship - Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1988-1990), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Fellowship - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1987-1988), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Residency - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1984-1987), Pediatrics
- Medical School - UT Hlth Sci Cntr San Antonio (1980-1984)
Dr. Dickson is the Medical Director at the Children’s Medical Center Dallas’ Endocrinology Center. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from private practice, he is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and oversees the pediatric endocrinology teaching program for residents and the fourth-year medical student clerkships in pediatric endocrinology.
Dr. Dickson holds his undergraduate degree from UT Arlington and his medical degree from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, where he also completed a residency in pediatrics and a 1-year fellowship in pediatric endocrinology. He went on to complete his fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, and then moved onto private practice in Dallas from 1990 to 1994.
In 1994, Dr Dickson joined the UT Southwestern faculty on a full-time basis. Dr. Dickson is a dedicated teacher and was recognized when he received the Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award from the Children’s Medical Center Dallas Pediatric Residency Program in 2000. He has also been serving as medical director of Camp Sweeney since 2000.
Located in Gainesville, Texas, Camp Sweeney is the largest residential summer camp for children with diabetes in the country. More than 800 children attend this camp every year.
Dr. Dickson is currently expanding his role in the Division by becoming a principal investigator for clinical trials. He is presently implementing a pharmaceutical study that will aid children with obesity as a result of hypothalamic disorders. He is active in the pediatric endocrinology community. He is currently a member of the Executive Board and Vice Chairman of the medical board of the Southwestern Diabetic Foundation.
Dr. Dickson was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018, and was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2018.
- Pediatric Endocrine Society of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas
- Medical Director, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Executive Board member, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award 2000, Children’s Medical Center of Dallas Pediatric Residency Program
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas 2004-2017, D Magazine
- Best Doctors in Dallas 2004, D Magazine
- Texas Super Doctors 2006-2017, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Best Doctors in America 2007-2008
- America's Top Pediatricians 2008, Consumers' Research Council of America
Thyrotoxic Crisis and Euthroid Sick Syndrome in Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd Edition, D. Levin, F. Morriss, eds.
Dickson BA. (1997), Churchill Livingstone
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone Secretion in Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd Edition, D. Levin, F. Morriss, eds.
Dickson BA. (1997), Churchill Livingstone
- Thyrotoxic Crisis and Euthroid Sick Syndrome in Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd Edition, D. Levin, F. Morriss, eds.
Time course of recovery of adrenal function in children treated for leukemia.
Felner EI, Thompson MT, Ratliff AF, White PC, Dickson BA The Journal of pediatrics 2000 Jul 137 1 21-4
Hypothyroidism in siblings due to a homozygous mutation of the TSH-beta subunit gene.
Felner EI, Dickson BA, White PC Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism : JPEM 2004 Apr 17 4 669-72
Low Morbidity and Mortality in Children with Diabetic Ketoacidosis Treated with Isotonic Fluids.
White PC, Dickson BA The Journal of pediatrics 2013 Mar
Epidermal growth factor stimulates insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 expression in the neonatal rat.
Murray MA, Dickson BA, Smith EP, Hoath SB, Chernausek SD Endocrinology 1993 Jul 133 1 159-65
Aldosterone-producing adenoma presenting with hypokalemic myopathy. Case report and review.
Dickson BA, Franks RC Clinical pediatrics 1988 Jul 27 7 344-7
Suppression of insulin-like growth factor I during epidermal growth factor-induced growth retardation.
Chernausek SD, Dickson BA, Smith EP, Hoath SB The American journal of physiology 1991 Mar 260 3 Pt 1 E416-21
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 secretion from cultured rat sertoli cells: dual regulation by follicle stimulating hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I.
Smith EP, Dickson BA, Chernausek SD Endocrinology 1990 Dec 127 6 2744-51
Parathyroid carcinoma in a child.
Meier DE, Snyder WH, Dickson BA, Margraf LR, Guzzetta PC Journal of pediatric surgery 1999 Apr 34 4 606-8
- Time course of recovery of adrenal function in children treated for leukemia.
- Iatrogenic Adrenal Insufficiency
- Hypothalamic Obesity
- Endocrine Disorders in Neurooncology patients