- Fellowship - New York University School of Medicine (1985-1986), Dermatopathology
- Residency - New York University Hospital (1982-1985), Dermatology
- Internship - University of Washington Health Science Center (1981-1982), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Baylor College of Medicine (1977-1981)
Clay Cockerell, M.D.
- Dermatology - General
- Skin Cancer
Clay Cockerell, M.D., is a Professor in both the Department of Dermatology and the Department of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in skin cancer, such as melanoma, at the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center. A well-known dermatopathologist, Dr. Cockerell is the former Director of the Division of Dermatopathology.
Dr. Cockerell completed undergraduate coursework at Texas Tech University and earned his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine. He completed a dermatology residency at New York University Medical Center, where he also received advanced fellowship training in dermatopathology.
Dr. Cockerell is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the Dallas Dermatological Society, the American Society of Dermatopathology, and the American Contact Dermatitis Society. He is a past President of the American Academy of Dermatology.
For many years, Dr. Cockerell has overseen an educational program designed to train the next generation of dermatopathologists. He sees patients in the UT Southwestern General Dermatology Clinic.
- Dallas Dermatological Society
- American Society of Dermatopathology
- American Society of Contact Dermatitis
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Dermatology
- Vice President 1994, International Society of Dermatopathology 1990-1994
- Socioeconomic Committe Chairman 1997, Dallas Dermatologic Society
- President 1993, Physicians Association for AIDS Care
- Noah Worester Dermatological Society 2012, Secretary Treasurer
An Unusual Presentation of Secondary Syphilis in a Patient with Human Immunodecificiency Virus Infection. A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
Glover RA, Piaquadio DJ, Kern S and Cockerell CJ Archives of Dermatology April 1992 128 530-534
Histologic Features of and Sensitivity of Diagnosis of Clinically Unsuspected Melanoma
Witheiler DD and Cockerell CJ American Journal of Dermatopathology 1991 13 551-556
- An Unusual Presentation of Secondary Syphilis in a Patient with Human Immunodecificiency Virus Infection. A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Disorders