- Graduate School - University of Texas Health Sci, Public Health
Jennifer Hughes, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- American Association of Suicidology (2014)
- American Psychological Association - Division 53 Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (2012)
- Dallas Psychological Association (2015)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) (2006)
- American Psychological Association (2006)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Young Investigator Award 2012-2014, "Self Harm and Suicide Attempt Risk: Evaluation of an Intervention for Youths with Self Harm Behavior"
- Child Intervention, Prevention, and Services (CHIPS) Fellowship, National Institute of Mental Health 2012
- Integrated Study Center in Mood Disorders Fellowship, Semel Institute of Neuroscience and Human Behavior at University of California, Los Angeles 2010-2011
- Recipient of UT Southwestern Graduate School Ida M. Green Award 2009, UT Southwestern Graduate School award given to female scientist for outstanding commitment to the well-being of fellow graduates, research excellence, and exceptional community service activities
- Co-recipient of Carmen Miller Michael Award 2010, UT Southwestern Psychology departmental award given to a student who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship and service
- Selected as Level 1 Participant, Summer Research Institute in Suicide Prevention, an NIMH-funded program at the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 2008
CBT For Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Guide to Relapse Prevention
Kennard, B.D., Hughes, J.L., & Foxwell, A.F. (2016), New York, NY, Guilford Press
Self Harm and Suicidal Behavior in Treating Adolescents, 2nd Edition
Stemmle, P., & Hughes, J.L. (2015), Hoboken, NJ, Wiley Publishing
Optimizing Family Intervention in the Treatment of Suicidal Youth in Advancing the Science of Suicidal Behavior: Understanding and Intervention
Diamond, G., Asarnow, J., & Hughes, J.L. (2014), Hauppague, NY, Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Pediatric Mood Disorders in The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Mood Disorders
Emslie, G.J., Mayes, T.M., Kennard, B.D., & Hughes, J.L. (2006), Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
- CBT For Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Guide to Relapse Prevention
Remission and residual symptoms after short-term treatment in the Treatment of Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS).
Kennard B, Silva S, Vitiello B, Curry J, Kratochvil C, Simons A, Hughes J, Feeny N, Weller E, Sweeney M, Reinecke M, Pathak S, Ginsburg G, Emslie G, March J Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2006 Dec 45 12 1404-11
Predictors and Outcomes of Psychiatric Hospitalization in Youth Presenting to the Emergency Department with Suicidality.
Hughes JL, Anderson NL, Wiblin JL, Asarnow JR Suicide & life-threatening behavior 2016 Jul
Remission and recovery in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS): acute and long-term outcomes.
Kennard BD, Silva SG, Tonev S, Rohde P, Hughes JL, Vitiello B, Kratochvil CJ, Curry JF, Emslie GJ, Reinecke M, March J Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2009 Feb 48 2 186-95
Maternal depressive symptoms in pediatric major depressive disorder: relationship to acute treatment outcome.
Kennard BD, Hughes JL, Stewart SM, Mayes T, Nightingale-Teresi J, Tao R, Carmody T, Emslie GJ Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2008 Jun 47 6 694-9
Family intervention strategies for adolescent depression.
Hughes JL, Asarnow JR Pediatric annals 2011 Jun 40 6 314-8
The Interpersonal-Psychological Theory of Suicide in Adolescents: A Preliminary Report of Changes Following Treatment.
King JD, Horton SE, Hughes JL, Eaddy M, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Stewart SM Suicide & life-threatening behavior 2017 Mar
Suicide attempt risk in youths: utility of the Harkavy-Asnis suicide scale for monitoring risk levels.
Asarnow J, McArthur D, Hughes J, Barbery V, Berk M Suicide & life-threatening behavior 2012 Dec 42 6 684-98
Modular psychotherapy improves problems in youth with anxiety, depression or conduct disorder more rapidly than standard psychotherapy.
Asarnow JR, Hughes JL Evidence-based mental health 2012 Nov 15 4 88
Enhanced Mental Health Interventions in the Emergency Department: Suicide and Suicide Attempt Prevention in the ED.
Hughes JL, Asarnow JR Clinical pediatric emergency medicine 2013 Mar 14 1 28-34
Assessment of safety and long-term outcomes of initial treatment with placebo in TADS.
Kennard BD, Silva SG, Mayes TL, Rohde P, Hughes JL, Vitiello B, Kratochvil CJ, Curry JF, Emslie GJ, Reinecke MA, March JS The American journal of psychiatry 2009 Mar 166 3 337-44
The SAFETY Program: A Treatment-Development Trial of a Cognitive-Behavioral Family Treatment for Adolescent Suicide Attempters.
Asarnow JR, Berk M, Hughes JL, Anderson NL Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology : the official journal for the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53 2014 Sep 1-10
Relapse and recurrence in pediatric depression.
Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes TL, Hughes JL Child and adolescent psychiatric clinics of North America 2006 Oct 15 4 1057-79, xi
Cognitive-Behavioral Family Treatment for Suicide Attempt Prevention: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Asarnow JR, Hughes JL, Babeva KN, Sugar CA Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2017 Jun 56 6 506-514
Emergency Department Screening for Suicide and Mental Health Risk.
Babeva K, Hughes JL, Asarnow J Current psychiatry reports 2016 Nov 18 11 100
Psychological Science and Innovative Strategies for Informing Health Care Redesign: A Policy Brief.
Asarnow JR, Hoagwood KE, Stancin T, Lochman JE, Hughes JL, Miranda JM, Wysocki T, Portwood SG, Piacentini J, Tynan D, Atkins M, Kazak AE Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology : the official journal for the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53 2015 Nov-Dec 44 6 923-32
Preliminary Examination of the Interpersonal Psychological Theory of Suicide in an Adolescent Clinical Sample.
Horton SE, Hughes JL, King JD, Kennard BD, Westers NJ, Mayes TL, Stewart SM Journal of abnormal child psychology 2015 Dec
The Validity of the Interpersonal Theory of Suicide in Adolescence: A Review.
Stewart SM, Eaddy M, Horton SE, Hughes J, Kennard B Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology : the official journal for the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53 2015 Apr 1-13
The Treatment of Adolescent Suicide Attempters study (TASA): predictors of suicidal events in an open treatment trial.
Brent DA, Greenhill LL, Compton S, Emslie G, Wells K, Walkup JT, Vitiello B, Bukstein O, Stanley B, Posner K, Kennard BD, Cwik MF, Wagner A, Coffey B, March JS, Riddle M, Goldstein T, Curry J, Barnett S, Capasso L, Zelazny J, Hughes J, Shen S, Gugga SS, Turner JB Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2009 Oct 48 10 987-96
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for suicide prevention (CBT-SP): treatment model, feasibility, and acceptability.
Stanley B, Brown G, Brent DA, Wells K, Poling K, Curry J, Kennard BD, Wagner A, Cwik MF, Klomek AB, Goldstein T, Vitiello B, Barnett S, Daniel S, Hughes J Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2009 Oct 48 10 1005-13
Effective components of TORDIA cognitive-behavioral therapy for adolescent depression: preliminary findings.
Kennard BD, Clarke GN, Weersing VR, Asarnow JR, Shamseddeen W, Porta G, Berk M, Hughes JL, Spirito A, Emslie GJ, Keller MB, Wagner KD, Brent DA Journal of consulting and clinical psychology 2009 Dec 77 6 1033-41
Developing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Prevent Depressive Relapse in Youth.
Kennard BD, Stewart SM, Hughes JL, Jarrett RB, Emslie GJ Cognitive and behavioral practice 2008 Nov 15 4 387-399
Cognitions and depressive symptoms among ethnic minority adolescents.
Kennard BD, Stewart SM, Hughes JL, Patel PG, Emslie GJ Cultural diversity & ethnic minority psychology 2006 Jul 12 3 578-91
Cognitive-behavioral therapy to prevent relapse in pediatric responders to pharmacotherapy for major depressive disorder.
Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes TL, Nightingale-Teresi J, Nakonezny PA, Hughes JL, Jones JM, Tao R, Stewart SM, Jarrett RB Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2008 Dec 47 12 1395-404
- Remission and residual symptoms after short-term treatment in the Treatment of Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS).
- Dr. Hughes serves as the Head of the Risk and Resilience Network in the UT Southwestern Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care (Director: Madhukar Trivedi, MD). Broadly, Dr. Hughes' research explores the efficacy and effectiveness of psychosocial treatments for building resilience, the prevention and treatment of youth depression, and addressing suicide in youth.