- Medical School - University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1966-1970)
- Internship - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1970-1971), Medicine
- Residency - Children's Health Dallas (1973-1975), Pediatrics
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1975-1978), Gastroenterology
John M. Andersen, M.D., is a graduate of Austin College in Sherman, Texas, and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (AOA). He completed his internship in Internal Medicine at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, residency in Pediatrics at Children’s Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, and fellowship in Gastroenterology at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He served as Captain in the United States Air Force.
Dr. Andersen is presently Professor and Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, Department of Pediatrics, UT Southwestern, and Medical Director of the Liver Transplant Program at Children's Health.
Dr. Andersen’s interests include chronic abdominal pain, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, and liver transplantation.
He was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018, and was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2018.
In 2018, Dr. Andersen received UT Southwestern's Patient and Family Recognition Award.
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Iota Chapter, Austin College (2012)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1983)
- Texas Medical Association (1983)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1982-2010)
- American Gastroenterologic Association (1979)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (1979)
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), University of Pennsylvania (1969)
- Best of the Best, America's Most Honored, American Registry 2016
- Provider of the Month, Children's Health, Gastroenterology Clinic 2016
- Best Pediatric Specialist, D Magazine 2015-2017
- Top Doctors in North Texas, Dallas Morning News 2015
- Best Doctors in Dallas, D Magazine 2014-2014
- Advisor, ChildCare Group 2013, Dallas, Texas
- Board of Trustees, Child Care Group 2012-2013, Dallas, Texas
- Phi Beta Kappa Induction 2012, Iota Chapter of Texas at Austin College, Sherman, TX
- Best Pediatric Specialists, D Magazine 2011-2013
- IBC's Top 100 Health Professionals 2011
- Texas Super Doctors, Texas Monthly Magazine 2010-2017
- Top Doctors, Castle Connolly 2010-2016
- Best Doctors in America 2002-2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), University of Pennsylvania 1969
Improved neurocognitive function after radiologic closure of congenital portosystemic shunts.
Eroglu Y, Donaldson J, Sorensen LG, Vogelzang RL, Melin-Aldana H, Andersen J, Whitington PF Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition 2004 Oct 39 4 410-7
Liver transplantation for cholestasis associated with cystic fibrosis in the pediatric population.
Molmenti EP, Squires RH, Nagata D, Roden JS, Molmenti H, Fasola CG, Prestidge C, D'Amico L, Casey D, Sanchez EQ, Goldstein RM, Levy MF, Benser M, McPhail W, Andrews W, Andersen JA, Klintmalm GB Pediatric transplantation 2003 Apr 7 2 93-7
Treatment of unresectable hepatoblastoma with liver transplantation in the pediatric population.
Molmenti EP, Wilkinson K, Molmenti H, Roden JS, Squires RH, Fasola CG, Tomlinson G, Nagata DE, D'Amico L, Lopez MJ, Savino LM, Marubashi S, Sanchez EQ, Goldstein RM, Levy MF, Andrews W, Andersen JA, Klintmalm GB American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons 2002 Jul 2 6 535-8
Post-transplant lymphoproliferative syndrome in the pediatric liver transplant population.
Molmenti EP, Nagata DE, Roden JS, Squires RH, Molmenti H, Fasola CG, Winick N, Tomlinson G, Lopez MJ, D'Amico L, Dyer HL, Savino AC, Sanchez EQ, Levy MF, Goldstein RM, Andersen JA, Klintmalm GB American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons 2001 Nov 1 4 356-9
Pediatric liver transplantation for cystic fibrosis.
Molmenti E, Nagata D, Roden J, Squires R, Molmenti H, Casey D, Prestidge C, McPhail W, Sanchez E, Goldstein R, Levy M, Fasola C, Andrews W, D'Amico L, Benser M, Emert L, Andersen J, Klintmalm G Transplantation proceedings 2001 Feb-Mar 33 1-2 1738
Incidence, management, and outcome of posttransplant lymphoproliferative disease in pediatric liver transplant recipients.
Molmenti EP, Nagata D, Roden J, Squires R, Molmenti H, Casey D, Fasola C, Lopez MJ, Winick N, McPhail W, D'Amico L, Goldstein R, Levy M, Fasola C, Andersen J, Klintmalm G Transplantation proceedings 2001 Feb-Mar 33 1-2 1727
Liver transplantation for hepatoblastoma in the pediatric population.
Molmenti EP, Nagata D, Roden J, Squires R, Molmenti H, Casey D, Fasola C, Tomlinson G, Ratliff A, D'Amico L, Marubashi S, McCreight A, Jung GJ, Goldstein R, Levy M, Andrews W, McPhail W, Emert L, Andersen J, Klintmalm G Transplantation proceedings 2001 Feb-Mar 33 1-2 1749
Chronic subcutaneous octreotide decreases gastrointestinal blood loss in blue rubber-bleb nevus syndrome.
Gonzalez D, Elizondo BJ, Haslag S, Buchanan G, Burdick JS, Guzzetta PC, Hicks BA, Andersen JM Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition 2001 Aug 33 2 183-8
- Improved neurocognitive function after radiologic closure of congenital portosystemic shunts.
- Blue Rubber Bleb Nevus Syndrome
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Biliary Atresia