- Medical School - University of Illinois College of Medicine (2008-2012)
- Fellowship - Magee Womens Hospital of UPMC (2016-2018), Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Residency - Stanford University Medical Center (2012-2016), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Research - University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine - Institute of Clinical Research Education (2016-2017), Clinical Research
Lisa Chao, M.D.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology - Gynecology
Lisa Chao, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and serves as Associate Director of the Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery Fellowship Program. She is devoted to improving women’s health through the practice of minimally invasive gynecologic surgery and specializes in the operative management of benign gynecologic conditions, including endometriosis, pelvic pain, fibroids, abnormal uterine bleeding, adnexal cysts, and other conditions that may require minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Chao earned her medical degree at the University of Illinois College of Medicine. She completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Stanford University Medical Center and received advanced training in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery through a fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Magee-Womens Hospital.
Certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Chao joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018. Her clinical interests include complex gynecologic surgery, advanced laparoscopic techniques, large fibroids, advanced endometriosis, and pelvic pain. Her academic interests include surgical education of fellows and residents, simulation training, and video-based surgical coaching.
Dr. Chao has authored several peer-reviewed research articles and delivered numerous presentations at international meetings.
She is an active member of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the Society of Gynecologic Surgeons. She also serves as an expert on several national committees for these organizations.
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society of Gynecologic Surgeons
- Excellence in Surgical Performance Award 2016, Stanford University Medical Center
- The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award 2015
- Arrie and Estelle Johnson Bamberger Scholarship Award 2010, University of Illinois College of Medicine
- Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) Medical Student Anesthesia Research Award Fellowship 2009
- Chancellor’s Service Award, UCLA
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Surgical Education
- Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Chronic Pelvic Pain