- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1988-1990), Reproductive Endocrinology
- Medical School - University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Residency - Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1980-1983), Ob/ Gyn
- Residency - Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1979-1980), Family Medicine
- Internship - Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (1978-1979), Family Medicine
Ann Word, M.D.
- Mary Dees McDermott Hicks Chair in Medical Science
- Obstetrics & Gynecology - Fertility
R. Ann Word, M.D., is Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and a member of the Divisions of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, and Basic Reproductive Biology Research. She is also a member of the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences.
Dr. Word is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and in reproductive endocrinology and infertility. Her research focuses on molecular and cellular mechanisms of extracellular matrix remodeling of the female reproductive tract during pregnancy, parturition, and puerperium as well as the pathological conditions of pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, and injury of the external anal sphincter.
- The Perinatal Research Society, elected 1994
- The Endocrine Society, Member 1992
- Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists, 1994
- Society of Gynecologic Investigation, Council Nomination, 2004
- Fellow-American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologist,
- Women's Mortar Board 1974, Texas Christian University, 1974-1975
- Phi Beta Kappa 1975, Texas Christian University
- NIH Postdoctoral National Research Service Award 1988, Physiology of Reproduction - 1988-1990
- Physician Scientist Award 1990, American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1990-1992
- Ginger Simmons Research Grant Award 1999, American Heart Association - "Smooth Muscle Caldesmon" 1999
Immunosuppressive factors secreted by human amniotic epithelial cells.
Li H, Nidderkorn JY, Neelam S, Mayhew E, Word RA, McCulley JP, Alizadeh H. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2005 46 900-907
Distribution and quantification of cyclic GMP-dependent protein kinase and contractile proteins in human uterine smooth muslce during pregnancy.
Cornwell, T.L., Li, J., Miller, R.T., Word, R.A. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2001 86(8) 3981-3988
Human myometrial gene expression before and during parturition.
Havelock JC, Keller P, Muleba N, Mayhew BA, Casey BM, Rainey WE, Word RA. Biol Reprod 2005 72(3) 707-19
Effect of periurethral nerve injury on relaxation of the female bladder and urethra smooth muscle: Role of nitric oxide.
Wai CY, Boreham MK, Liehr P, Schaffer JI, Word RA. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003 189 1637-45
Contractile elements and myosin light chain phosphorylation in myometrial tissues from nonpregnant and pregnant women.
Word, R.A., Kamm, K.E., Casey, M.L., Stull, J.T. J. Clin. Invest. 1993 92 29-37
Morphometric analysis of smooth muscle in anterior vaginal wall of women with pelvic organ prolapse.
Boreham, M.K., Wai, C.Y., Miller, R.T., Schaffer, J.I., Word, R.A. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. July 2002 187 56-63
Differential expression of protein kinase A, AKAP79, and PP2B in pregnant human myometrial membranes prior to and during labor.
Ku J, Word RA, Sanborn BM. J Soc Gynecol Invest 2005 12(6) 421-7
Transgene insertion on mouse chromosome 6 impairs function of the uterine cervix and causes failure of parturition.
Word RA, Landrum CP, Timmons BC, Young SG, Mahendroo MS. Biol Reprod Epub 2005 73 1046-1056
Hysterectomy - still a useful operation.
Schaffer, J.I., Word, R. A. N. Engl. J. Med. October 2002 347(17) 1360-1362
Activation properties of myosin light chain kinase during contraction/relaxation cycles of tonic and phasic smooth muscles.
Word, R.A., Tang, D.C., Kamm, K.E. J. Biol. Chem. 1994 269 21596-21602
- Immunosuppressive factors secreted by human amniotic epithelial cells.
- Urinary Incontinence
- Smooth Muscle Contractility
- Preterm Cervical Ripening
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Urinary Incontinence Screening