- Residency - Duke University Hospital (1972-1973), General Surgery
- Residency - Duke University Hospital (1975-1977), Thoracic Surgery
- Fellowship - University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1977-1979), Cardiovascular Surgery
- Residency - University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1979-1980), Surgery
- Internship - Duke University Hospital (1971-1972), General Surgery
- Medical School - Harvard Medical School (1969-1971)
- Fellowship - University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1980-1982), Cardiovascular Surgery
Steve Ring, M.D.
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Dr. Ring earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1971 and received his surgical training at Duke University Medical Center and the University of Minnesota. He completed a surgical research fellowship and his cardiovascular and thoracic surgery residency also at the University of Minnesota. He came to UTSW in 1987 as chair of the Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, to direct the thoracic and cardiovascular surgery residency program, and to develop the UTSW Heart Transplant PRograms at St. Paul and Children’s Medical Center. The program was later expanded to include lung transplantation at St. Paul. Dr. Ring’s primary interests include heart and lung transplantation, congenital heart surgery, valve repair, and high-risk coronary revascularization.
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- NIH National Research Service Award 1978, National Institute of Health
- William D. Seybold Lectureship in Surgery 1988, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Gladys Faschena Award in Pediatric Cardiology 1990, American Heart Association, Dallas Affiliate
- Kent Trinkle Education Lectureship 2002, Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
- UT Southwestern President’s Lecture Series Presenter 2007, UT Southwestern Medical Center
Consensus conference report: maximizing use of organs recovered from the cadaver donor: cardiac recommendations
Zaroff JG, Rosengard BF, Armstrong WF, Ring WS, et al Circulation 2002 106(7) 836-841
Cavopulmonary Shunts and Hemi-Fontan Operation
Ring, WS Chapter in: Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2nd Ed 2006 Lippincott 916-924
Pediatric Transplant Study Group (PHTS): Hyperlipidemia in children after heart transplantation.
Singh TP, Naftel DC, Webber S, Dupuis J, Chin C, Spicer R, Schowengerdt, Jr. KO, Ring WS, Morrow WR. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2006 25(10) 1199-1205
Thoracic organ transplantation in the United States, 1944-2003
Barr ML, Bourge RC, Orens JB, Ring WS, et al Am J Transplantation 2005 5 (4 pt 2) 934-949
Antibodies against human donor leukocyte antigens and the outcome of cardiac allografts in adults and children.
Stastny P, Lavigia B, Fixler DE, Yancy Jr CW, Ring WS Transplantation 2007 84(6) in press
Induction therapy with basiliximab allows delayed initiation of cyclosporine and preserves renal function after cardiac transplantation
Rosenberg PB, Vriesendorp AE, Drazner MH, Ring WS, et al. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005 24 (9) 1327-1331
Congenital heart surgery nomenclature and database project: aortic aneurysm, sinus of Valsalva aneurysm, and aortic dissection
Ring, WS Ann Thoracic Surg 2000 69 (4 suppl) S147-S163
Graft-vs-host disease as a complication of lung transplantation
Smith DM, Agura ED, Ausloos KA, Ring WS, Domiati-Saad R, Klintmalm GB J Heart and Lung Transplantation 2006 25(9) 1175-1177
Effects of early steroid withdrawal after heart transplantation.
Rosenbaum DH, Adams BC, Mitchell JD, Jessen ME, Paul MC, Kaiser PA, Pappas PA, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Drazner MH, Yancy Jr. CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Ann Thorc Surg 2006 82(2) 637-44
Health insurance and cardiac transplantation: a call for reform
King LP, Siminoff, LA, Meyer DM, Ring, WS, et al J Am Coll Cardiol 2005 45 (9) 1388-1391
- Consensus conference report: maximizing use of organs recovered from the cadaver donor: cardiac recommendations