The Division of Renal Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center has been providing state-of-the-art diagnostic consultation services to the nephrology community for nearly 30 years. The division is staffed by two renal pathologists.
In addition to diagnostic renal pathology, the faculty is involved in active research programs that facilitate and accelerate the implementation of new technologies in the clinical diagnostic arena as they become available.
Our services include:
- 24-hour turnaround for light (LM) and immunofluorescence (IF) microscopy
- 48-hour turnaround for electron microscopy (EM)
- Emergency service (nights, weekends, and holidays) can be provided when requested with prior notification
- Expertise in native and transplant renal biopsies (for both adults and children)
- Staining protocols include:
- LM: H&E, PAS, Trichrome, and Jones silver stain
- IF: IgG, IgA, IgM, C1q, C3, Albumin, Fibrinogen, kappa and lambda, and C4d (transplant)
- EM: Routinely performed
- The division can host renal biopsy conferences at referring centers when requested
- The nephropathologist calls the clinician to discuss the biopsy findings within 24 hours. The biopsy report will be faxed when complete.
Contact UsAllen Hendricks, D.O., Consultant Pathologist: 214-648-9302
Jose Torrealba, M.D., Section Medical Director: 214-648-5613