- Medical School - Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (2006-2010)
- Residency - University of Michigan Health System (2010-2013), Pediatrics
- Fellowship - University of Michigan Health System (2013-2017), Pediatric Pulmonology
- Other Post Graduate Training - University of Michigan School of Public Health (2017-2019)
- Graduate School - University of Michigan School of Public Health (2017-2019), Clinical Research
- Fellowship - University of Michigan Health System Program (2019-2020), Sleep Medicine
Aarti Shakkottai, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine
- Cystic Fibrosis
Aarti Shakkottai, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in cystic fibrosis, asthma, pediatric sleep-disordered breathing, and insomnia.
Dr. Shakkottai earned her medical degree at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. She completed a residency in general pediatrics at the University of Michigan, where she also received advanced training through fellowships in pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine. She additionally completed two postdoctoral research fellowships in sleep medicine. She also holds an M.S. in clinical research design and statistical analysis from the University of Michigan School of Public Health.
Dr. Shakkottai’s research interests include the impact of sleep disorders on health outcomes in cystic fibrosis, and she has delivered presentations and published academic articles on those topics. In addition, she has contributed to the books Pediatric Sleep Medicine and Handbook of Nutrition and Diet in Palliative Care (2nd edition).
She is a member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. In 2019, she received the Excellence in Research Award from the Michigan Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Excellence in Research Award 2019, Michigan Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Pediatric Student Education Award 2017, University of Michigan
- Charles Woodson Biostatistics Award 2012, University of Michigan
Impact of home spirometry on medication adherence among adolescents with cystic fibrosis.
Shakkottai A, Kaciroti N, Kasmikha L, Nasr SZ, Pediatric pulmonology 2018 04 53 4 431-436
Sleep disturbances and their impact in pediatric cystic fibrosis.
Shakkottai A, O'Brien LM, Nasr SZ, Chervin RD, Sleep medicine reviews 2018 12 42 100-110
Sleep-disordered breathing in cystic fibrosis.
Shakkottai A, Nasr SZ, Hassan F, Irani S, O'Brien LM, Chervin RD, Sleep medicine 2020 10 74 57-65
Children with partial IgA deficiency: clinical characteristics observed in the pediatric rheumatology clinic.
Shakkottai A, Bupathi K, Patel AP, Chalom E, Chamarthi S, Lehman TJ, Peterson MG, Gaur S, Moorthy LN, Clinical pediatrics 2012 Jan 51 1 46-50
A five-year retrospective analysis of adherence in cystic fibrosis.
Shakkottai A, Kidwell KM, Townsend M, Nasr SZ, Pediatric pulmonology 2015 Dec 50 12 1224-9
The Use of Home Spirometry in Pediatric Cystic Fibrosis Patients: Results of a Feasibility Study.
Shakkottai A, Nasr SZ, Global pediatric health 2017 4 2333794X17690315
- Impact of home spirometry on medication adherence among adolescents with cystic fibrosis.
- Impact of sleep disorders on health outcomes in cystic fibrosis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Pediatric sleep-disordered breathing