- Medical School - Harvard Medical School (2011-2015)
- Residency - Massachusetts General Hospital (2015-2018), Pediatrics
- Fellowship - Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital (2018-2021), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Hoi See Tsao, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine
- Emergency medical services (EMS)
- Medical Education
Hoi See Tsao, M.D., M.P.H., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in pediatric emergency medicine, focusing on prehospital medicine, emergency medical services (EMS), medical education, and simulation.
Dr. Tsao earned her medical degree at Harvard Medical School. She completed a residency in pediatrics at MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) and received advanced training in pediatric emergency medicine through a fellowship at Hasbro Children’s Hospital and the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. She also holds a master’s of public health degree from Brown.
Certified by the American Board of Pediatrics, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Tsao is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a member of several other professional organizations, including the American Medical Association and the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.
She serves as a fellow representative on the Prehospital-Based Care Domain at the Emergency Medical Services for Children Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC) and is on the national Prehospital Pediatric Readiness Steering Committee.
Dr. Tsao has delivered numerous lectures and presentations, published a number of academic articles, and contributed to the book Pediatric Traumatic Emergencies.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- Rhode Island Hospital Fellows Research Travel Award, (2019, 2021), Brown Emergency Medicine
- Graduate School Conference Travel Grant, (2020, 2021), Brown University Graduate School Committee
- “Sounding the Alarm on the Importance of Sleep: The Positive Impact of Sufficient Sleep on Childhood Flourishing” 1 of 16 Abstracts Selected for Media Relations Program 2019, American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Research Highlighted in New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/28/well/family/teenagers-sleep-insomnia.html
- Master of Public Health Thesis Grant Award 2019, Brown University School of Public Health
- Honorable Mention for Resident Quality Improvement Award 2018, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Nominated for Principal Clinical Experience Teaching Award 2017, Harvard Medical School
- “Changing the Way We Approach Medically Complex Children: A Screener for Unmet Needs” 1 of 4 Students Selected to Give Oral Presentation of Original Research 2013, Harvard Medical School Soma Weiss Student Research Day
- Outstanding Alumni Award 2013, Chinese International School
- M.A. Cartland Shackford Medical Fellowship 2011, Wellesley College
- Symantec Award for Innovation in Teaching 2010, Teach for America
- Summa cum laude 2009, Wellesley College
- Neuroscience major departmental honors 2009, Wellesley College
- Phi Beta Kappa 2009, 1 of 12 students inducted as a junior, Wellesley College
- Beck Honor Fellowship 2008, Wellesley College
- Robert D. Staley and Karl A. Staley Grant for Cancer-Related Research 2008, Wellesley College
- Sally Whitcher World Travel and Peace Award 2008, 1 of 2 undergraduate students selected to receive award, Hostelling International USA – Eastern New England Council
The Rocking Pelvis in Pediatric Traumatic Emergencies
Tsao HS, Wing R (2020), New York, NY, Oxford University Press
- The Rocking Pelvis in Pediatric Traumatic Emergencies
Investigating the bactericidal mechanism of three novel histone-derived antimicrobial peptides.
Lee AT, Tsao HS, Maharaj NP, Elmore DE Biophysical Journal 2009 96 3 456a-457a
Immune Thrombocytopenia (ITP) in a Pediatric Patient Positive for SARS-CoV-2.
Tsao HS, Chason HM, Fearon DM, Pediatrics 2020 08 146 2
Excellence in Communication and Emergency Leadership (ExCEL): Pediatric First 5 Minutes Workshop for Residents.
Wing R, Tsao HS, Toomey V, Mercurio L, Carillo M, Brown LL, Kelley MN, MedEdPORTAL : the journal of teaching and learning resources 2020 09 16 10980
Design of novel histone-derived antimicrobial peptides.
Tsao HS, Spinella SA, Lee AT, Elmore DE, Peptides 2009 Dec 30 12 2168-73
A Case Report of Cake Frosting as a Source of Copper Toxicity in a Pediatric Patient.
Tsao HS, Allister L, Chiba T, Barkley J, Goldman RH, Clinical practice and cases in emergency medicine 2020 Aug 4 3 384-388
Do Unmet Health Needs Drive Pediatric Emergency Department Utilization?: A Population-Based Assessment.
Sojar S, Gjelsvik A, Tsao HS, Amanullah S, Pediatric emergency care 2020 Dec
Sounding the Alarm on Sleep: A Negative Association Between Inadequate Sleep and Flourishing.
Tsao HS, Gjelsvik A, Sojar S, Amanullah S, The Journal of pediatrics 2021 01 228 199-207.e3
Excellence in Communication and Emergency Leadership (ExCEL): Pediatric Primary and Secondary Survey in Trauma Workshop for Residents.
Kelley MN, Mercurio L, Tsao HS, Toomey V, Carillo M, Brown L, Wing R, MedEdPORTAL : the journal of teaching and learning resources 2021 01 17 11079
COVID-19 in Pediatric Patients: Observations from the Initial Phase of the Global Pandemic in Rhode Island.
Levin RA, Tsao HS, Amanullah S, Genisca A, Chapman L, Rhode Island medical journal (2013) 2021 Feb 104 1 55-60
- Investigating the bactericidal mechanism of three novel histone-derived antimicrobial peptides.
- Prehospital medicine/emergency medical services (EMS)
- Medical education
- Emergency medical services (EMS)
- Medical Education