- Graduate School - University of Texas - Brownsville (1999-2002)
- Undergraduate School - University of Minnesota Medical School (1990-1995), Clinical Dietetics
Lona Sandon, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Teaching Professor
Lona Sandon, PhD, RDN, LD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Director of the Master of Clinical Nutrition Coordinated Program. She received the 2017 Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award from the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy). She served as a House of Delegates representative in the Academy from 2011 to 2017 and a national spokesperson for the Academy from 2003 to 2012. Dr. Sandon was named the 2005 Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year by the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (TAND) and received the 2006 Dallas Dietetic Association Excellence in Media Award and the 2007 Excellence in Media Award from the TAND.
Dr. Sandon holds a Doctorate of Philosophy in Health Education Studies with an emphasis in higher education and wellness programming from Texas Woman's University, Masters of Education in Education Technology from the University of Texas, Brownsville and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Minnesota. She completed a one-year dietetic internship at the University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics.
Dr. Sandon has a personal and professional interest in wellness, sports nutrition, exercise, and autoimmune inflammatory conditions. She is a certified fitness instructor by the American Council on Exercise and a Level III YogaFit instructor. Daily exercise of cycling, aerobics, yoga, or weight training is just her way of life. She has nearly 20 years experience in leading fitness and wellness classes for multiple health and fitness centers. She is frequently contacted to speak for community events for the Arthritis Foundation and employee health and wellness programs.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists, Dietetics Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)
- American Council on Exercise (1997)
- Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)
- Nutrition Educators of Health Professionals (2003)
- Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors (2016)
- Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (2017)
- Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists Dietetics Practice Group Graduate Student Award 2015, $2,500 award to support graduate research
- UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers, Outstanding Teacher Award 2017
- University of Texas System Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award 2017
- Excellence in Media Award Dallas Dietetic Association 2006, This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to assisting the media in providing sound scientific information to the public. Awarded by the Dallas Dietetic Association.
- Graduate Student Poster Award 2016, Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists dietetics practice group poster awards presented at the annual SCAN Symposium.
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year 2005, This award recognizes achievements of young dietitians in the state of Texas.
- Excellence in Media Award Texas Dietetic Association 2007, This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to improving the publics knowledge of nutrition through the use of media.
- Innovator in Practice and Education 2010, This award recognizes registered dietitians who are using innovative teaching methods in education of future dietetics practitioners.
- Outstanding Dietetics Educator 2017, Awarded by the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Nutrition Assessment: Clinical and Research Applications
Lona Sandon(Ed.) (2019), Burlington, MA, Jones and Bartlett Learning
- Nutrition Assessment: Clinical and Research Applications
Sports Nutrition for an Adult Female Endurance Athlete
Lona Sandon, PhD, RDN Albert Einstein College of Medicine Cyber Rounds January 2011 http://www.cyberounds.com/cmecontent/art485.html
Infant feeding practices and dietary consumption of US infants and toddlers: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2012.
Davis KE, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Sandon L Public health nutrition 2017 Nov 1-10
Orthorexia Nervosa and Eating Disorder Symptoms in Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in the United States.
Tremelling K, Sandon L, Vega GL, McAdams CJ Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2017 Jun
Evaluation of a Shelter-Based Diet and Physical Activity Intervention for Homeless Adults.
Kendzor DE, Allicock M, Businelle MS, Sandon LF, Gabriel KP, Frank SG Journal of physical activity & health 2016 Oct 1-28
Pilot study: Effect of a worksite weight-loss intervention and social influence on self-efficacy and self-regulation for eating and exercise
Lona Sandon, PhD, RDN 2016
Inflammation, Diet, and Cancer
Lona Sandon, MEd, RDN Lisa Blackman, MCN, MS, RDN Oncology Nutrition Connection 2012 20 4 10-15
A System for Designing Effective Online Education
Lona Sandon, M.Ed., R.D. Journal of The American Dietetic Association August 2007 Issue 8/Volume 107 1305-1360
- Sports Nutrition for an Adult Female Endurance Athlete
- Use of education technology for improving learning retention and engagement.
- Role of nutrition and exercise in health promotion, disease prevention
- Nutrition's role in enhancing sports performance.
- Nutrition therapies for autoimmune and inflammatory conditions
- Lifestyle behavioral interventions in the work place and communities for decreasing chronic disease risk factors.
- Intensive lifestyle and behavioral counseling for overweight and obesity