- Medical School - University of Michigan Medical School (2003-2007)
- Internship - Oakwood Hospital (2007-2008), Transitional Year
- Fellowship - University of Michigan (2012-2013), Pediatric Radiology
- Fellowship - University of Michigan (2013-2014), Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Residency - University of Michigan Health System (2008-2012), Diagnostic Radiology
Matthew Hammer, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Radiology Fellowship Program
- Radiology - Pediatric
Matthew Hammer, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Pediatric Radiology Division. His clinical interests include musculoskeletal imaging in children, as well as pediatric magnetic resonance (MR) enterography, MR urography, and perineal imaging in Crohn’s disease.
Dr. Hammer holds a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry and molecular and cellular biology from the University of Arizona in Tucson. He earned his medical degree at the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, where he remained to complete his radiology residency training. He then continued with a Medical Education Scholars program before obtaining advanced training through fellowship programs in pediatric radiology and in musculoskeletal radiology.
Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014, Dr. Hammer served as co-chief radiology resident at the University of Michigan, and as a member of the Association of University Radiologists board of directors, an organization he continues to serve as a faculty advisor.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Hammer serves as Director of the Pediatric Radiology Fellowship program, and is a member of the Pediatric Radiology Clinical Competency, Program Evaluation, and Quality committees. He also leads the Pediatric Radiology Musculoskeletal Group.
At Children's Health, he serves as Medical Director of Children's Imaging Center - Addison and Children's Imaging Center - Plano.
Dr. Hammer is actively involved with several professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, the American College of Radiology, the American Roentgen Ray Society, and the Association of University Radiologists. As a member of the Society of Pediatric Radiology, he serves on the Website Editorial, Publications, and MSK Imaging committees.
Dr. Hammer has published numerous papers, and
co-authored a chapter on congenital and developmental conditions in the foot
and ankle for Pediatric Orthopedic Imaging, which is considered the standard
reference book for pediatric and musculoskeletal radiologists. He is also a reviewer for the academic journal, Pediatric
- American Alliance of Academic Chief Residents in Radiology
- American College of Radiology
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Association of University Radiologists
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Pediatric Radiology
- Golden Apple Teaching Award 2017, UT Southwestern
- Cum Laude Educational Exhibit 2012, Radiological Society of North America
- Poster Presentation Honorable Mention 2011, Seventh Australasian Redesigning Healthcare Summit
- Educational Exhibit Certificate of Commendation 2010, American Roentgen Ray Society
Simple visual review of pre- to post-operative renal ultrasound images predicts pyeloplasty success equally as well as geometric measurements: A blinded comparison with a gold standard.
Kern AJM, Schlomer BJ, Timberlake MD, Peters CA, Hammer MR, Jacobs MA Journal of pediatric urology 2017 Apr
Non-accidental trauma: the role of radiology.
Pfeifer CM, Hammer MR, Mangona KL, Booth TN Emergency radiology 2016 Nov
US of the Peripheral Nerves of the Lower Extremity: A Landmark Approach.
Yablon CM, Hammer MR, Morag Y, Brandon CJ, Fessell DP, Jacobson JA Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc 2016 Feb 150120
Pediatric ureteropelvic junction obstruction: can magnetic resonance urography identify crossing vessels?
Parikh KR, Hammer MR, Kraft KH, Ivancic V, Smith EA, Dillman JR Pediatric radiology 2015 Jul
Prevalence of Femoroacetabular Impingement Morphology in Asymptomatic Adolescents.
Li Y, Helvie P, Mead M, Gagnier J, Hammer MR, Jong N Journal of pediatric orthopedics 2015 Jul
Magnetic resonance imaging of perianal and perineal crohn disease in children and adolescents.
Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Smith EA, Al-Hawary MM Magnetic resonance imaging clinics of North America 2013 Nov 21 4 813-28
Multidetector computed tomographic and magnetic resonance enterography in children: state of the art.
Hammer MR, Podberesky DJ, Dillman JR Radiologic clinics of North America 2013 Jul 51 4 615-36
Imaging evaluation of pediatric trachea and bronchi: systematic review and updates.
Lee EY, Restrepo R, Dillman JR, Ridge CA, Hammer MR, Boiselle PM Seminars in roentgenology 2012 Apr 47 2 182-96
Imaging of pediatric thoracic trauma.
Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Chong ST, Strouse PJ Seminars in roentgenology 2012 Apr 47 2 135-46
Detection of pediatric cervical spine injury.
Garton HJ, Hammer MR Neurosurgery 2008 Mar 62 3 700-8; discussion 700-8
Effects of macrocycle size and rigidity on melanocortin receptor-1 and -5 selectivity in cyclic lactam alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone analogs.
Mayorov AV, Han SY, Cai M, Hammer MR, Trivedi D, Hruby VJ Chemical biology & drug design 2006 May 67 5 329-35
Novel cyclic templates of alpha-MSH give highly selective and potent antagonists/agonists for human melanocortin-3/4 receptors.
Kavarana MJ, Trivedi D, Cai M, Ying J, Hammer M, Cabello C, Grieco P, Han G, Hruby VJ Journal of medicinal chemistry 2002 Jun 45 12 2644-50
- Simple visual review of pre- to post-operative renal ultrasound images predicts pyeloplasty success equally as well as geometric measurements: A blinded comparison with a gold standard.
- Pediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Pediatric MR Enterography
- Pediatric Genitourinary Imaging