- Medical School - UT Southwestern Medical School (2006-2010)
- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2010-2014), Anesthesiology
Meghan Michael, M.D.
- Anesthesiology and Pain Management
Meghan Michael, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in neuroanesthesia.
Dr. Michael earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School, graduating as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. She went on to complete a residency in anesthesiology and pain management at UT Southwestern, serving as a Chief Resident in her final year.
Certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
Dr. Michael serves in several leadership roles, including as Course Director for several medical student simulation courses and Co-Director for the University Hospital neuroanesthesiology rotation.
She is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Multi-Center Handoff Collaborative, for which she serves as a Co-Lead on the Education Subcommittee.
Dr. Michael is the Principal Investigator for the Perioperative Teamwork and Structured Communication Study, which is funded through a mentored training grant that she was awarded by the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation and the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research. She is also a Faculty Scholar for UT Southwestern’s longitudinal undergraduate team training initiative, Team FIRST.
She has delivered national and regional invited lectures, contributed to the books Perioperative Medicine: Managing for Outcome and Textbook of Neuroanesthesia and Neurointensive Care, and published academic articles related to her areas of expertise.
When she’s not at work, Dr. Michael enjoys spending time with her husband and children, running, lifting weights, riding a Peloton bike, listening to audiobooks, and trying diverse cuisines.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Multi-Center Handoff Collaborative
- Society for the Advancement of Geriatric Anesthesia
- Society for Airway Management
- Nominee: Leader in Clinical Excellence 2023, UT Southwestern Medical School
- Chairman’s Recognition Award, 2021, 2019, UT Southwestern Medical School
- Simulation Innovation Award 2021, UT Southwestern Medical School
- James D. Griffin Medical Student Teaching Award 2018, UT Southwestern Medical School
CNS risk assessment: Preventing postoperative brain injury in Perioperative Medicine: Managing for Outcome
Maxwell M, Michael M, McDonagh D (2022), Philadelphia, Elsevier
Anesthesia for interventional neuroradiology in Textbook of Neuroanesthesia and Neurointensive Care
Bhoja R, Michael M, Romito J, McDonagh D (2019), Singapore, Springer
- CNS risk assessment: Preventing postoperative brain injury in Perioperative Medicine: Managing for Outcome
- Teamwork training
- Handoff optimization
- Patient safety