- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1987-1990), Nephrology
- Fellowship - St. Michael's Hospital (1986-1987), Nephrology
- Residency - St. Michael's Hospital (1983-1986), Internal Medicine
- Internship - St. Michael's Hospital (1982-1983), Medical/surgical
- Medical School - University of Toronto (1977-1982)
Orson Moe, M.D.
- The Charles Pak Distinguished Chair in Mineral Metabolism
- Donald W. Seldin Professorship in Clinical Investigation
- Internal Medicine - Nephrology
Orson Moe received his medical degree from the University of Toronto and is currently Professor of Internal Medicine and Physiology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He is the Director of the Charles and Jane Pak Center of Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research. He is also a member of the Nephrology Division at Southwestern. Dr. Moe is the holder of the Charles and Jane Pak Chair in Mineral Metabolism Research and the Donald Seldin Professorship in Clinical Investigation. In addition to editing Current Opinions of Nephrology and Hypertension, Dr. Moe also serves on the editorial board of the American Journal of Physiology, Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, and Initial Review Group at the National Institutes of Health Center for Scientific Review. Dr. Moe is currently a member of the American Society of Clinical Research, American Association of Physicians, American Society of Nephrology, American Physiologic Society, and Biophysical Society.
- National Kidney Foundation, Member
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada (1986), Fellow
- American Society of Nephrology (1986), Member
- American Physiologic Society (1990), Member
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (2001), Member
- American Associate of Physicians (2007), Member
- National Kidney Foundation of Canada 1987, Recipient of Research Fellowship
- Outstanding Freshman Teacher 2006, 1st yr medical students
- Jack Coburn Award and Lectureship in Mineral Research 2013, American Society of Nephrology
The erythropoietin receptor is a downstream effector of Klotho-induced cytoprotection.
Hu MC, Shi M, Cho HJ, Zhang J, Pavlenco A, Liu S, Sidhu S, Huang LJ, Moe OW Kidney international 2013 May
SLC26A6 and NaDC-1 Transporters Interact to Regulate Oxalate and Citrate Homeostasis.
Ohana E, Shcheynikov N, Moe OW, Muallem S Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2013 Jul
Fibroblast growth factor 23 and klotho: physiology and pathophysiology of an endocrine network of mineral metabolism.
Hu MC, Shiizaki K, Kuro-O M, Moe OW Annual review of physiology 2013 Feb 75 503-33
Klotho as a potential biomarker and therapy for acute kidney injury.
Hu MC, Moe OW Nature reviews. Nephrology 2012 Jul 8 7 423-9
Vitamin D receptor agonists increase klotho and osteopontin while decreasing aortic calcification in mice with chronic kidney disease fed a high phosphate diet.
Lau WL, Leaf EM, Hu MC, Takeno MM, Kuro-o M, Moe OW, Giachelli CM Kidney international 2012 Dec 82 12 1261-70
Klotho has dual protective effects on cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury.
Panesso MC, Shi M, Cho HJ, Paek J, Ye J, Moe OW, Hu MC Kidney international 2013 Dec
Alpha-Klotho protects against oxidative damage in pulmonary epithelia.
Ravikumar P, Ye J, Zhang J, Pinch SN, Hu MC, Kuro-O M, Hsia CC, Moe OW American journal of physiology. Lung cellular and molecular physiology 2014 Jul
The diurnal variation in urine acidification differs between normal individuals and uric acid stone formers.
Cameron M, Maalouf NM, Poindexter J, Adams-Huet B, Sakhaee K, Moe OW Kidney international 2012 Jun 81 11 1123-30
Comparison of Insulin Action on Glucose versus Potassium Uptake in Humans.
Nguyen TQ, Maalouf NM, Sakhaee K, Moe OW Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2011 Jul 6 7 1533-9
- The erythropoietin receptor is a downstream effector of Klotho-induced cytoprotection.
- Ion Transport
- Epithelial Biology