- Fellowship - University of Alabama at Birmingham (2010-2013), Infectious Diseases
- Medical School - Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru (1999-2005)
- Residency - University of Alabama Medical Center, Birmingham (2007-2010), Internal Medicine
Ricardo La Hoz, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine
- Infectious Complications Transplant Recipients
Dr. La Hoz received his medical degree from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) in Lima, Peru, and was the “CONTENTA” award recipient of his graduating class. He completed his Internal Medicine Residency and Infectious Diseases Fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
He currently serves as Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases. Dr. La Hoz brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in transplant infectious diseases, as well as an interest in medical education. His commitment to patient care and medical education resulted in his induction to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society and Fellowship of the American College of Physicians (FACP). His research and clinical endeavors are focused on the prevention and treatment of infectious complications in hematopoietic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipients as well as medical mycology.
His activities in the American Society of Transplantation led to his election as an Executive Committee Member of the Infectious Diseases Community of Practice and will serve his term from 2016 to 2018. He was also selected to serve as the At Large Member of the Organ Procurement Transplantation Network/United Network of Organ Sharing Ad Hoc Disease Transmission Advisory Committee from 2016 to 2019. In 2017 he became a Fellow of the American Society of Transplantation (FAST) due to his commitment to the field of transplantation and outstanding service to the society.
Dr. La Hoz’s interests outside of medicine include his family and friends, cooking, travelling, sailing, and exploring the Dallas area.
- Dallas County Medical Society (2016)
- Mycoses Study Group Education and Research Consortium (2016)
- Texas Medical Association (2016)
- Texas Transplantation Society (2016)
- The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2011)
- American Society of Transplantation (2011)
- American College of Physicians (2008)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010)
- HIV Medicine Association (2010)
- International Antiviral Society USA (2011)
- The Transplantation Society - Transplant Infectious Diseases Section (2018)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society 2011, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
- American Society of Transplantation 2017, Fellow
- Division of Infectious Diseases Teaching Award 2016, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Finalist Junior Faculty and Trainees Council Clinical Case Dilemmas in Thoracic Transplantation Best Presentation Award 2016, The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Master Teacher Award 2014, Internal Medicine Residency Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- American College of Physicians 2012, Fellow
- "CONTENTA" Award 2005, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
- Ben Friedman Award for Excellence in Teaching 2008-2009, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Best Teaching Fellow Award for Excellence in Teaching 2010-2011, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- International Antiviral Society USA 2011, Core Clinical Faculty
Gain-of-function signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 (STAT1) mutation-related primary immunodeficiency is associated with disseminated mucormycosis.
Kumar N, Hanks ME, Chandrasekaran P, Davis BC, Hsu AP, Van Wagoner NJ, Merlin JS, Spalding C, La Hoz RM, Holland SM, Zerbe CS, Sampaio EP. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2014.
Cryptococcal infections: changing epidemiology and implications for therapy.
La Hoz RM, Pappas PG. Drugs. 2013.
Subcutaneous fungal infections.
La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Current Infectious Disease Reports. 2012.
How I treat Histoplasmosis.
La Hoz RM, Loyd JE, Wheat LJ, Baddley JW. Current Fungal Infection Report. 2012.
La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Journal of Invasive Fungal Diseases. 2011.
Subtherapeutic voriconazole concentrations associated with concomitant dexamethasone: case report and review of the literature
Wallace KL, Filipek RL, La Hoz RM, Williamson JC. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2016
The laboratory's role in solid organ transplantation: Screening for infectious diseases in pre-transplant evaluations.
La Hoz RM Clinical Laboratory News 2016 11 42 16-22
Pneumocystis Pneumonia in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
La Hoz RM, Baddley JW Current Fungal Infection Reports 2015
Infectious complications of immune modulatory agents.
La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Current Infectious Disease Reports. 2013.
Intestinal Parasites including Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, Giardia, & Microsporidia, Entamoeba histolytica, Strongyloides, Schistosomiasis, & Echinococcus: Guidelines from the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice.
La Hoz RM, Morris MI, Clinical transplantation 2019 May e13618
Russo TA, Olson R, Fang CT, Stoesser N, Miller M, Hutson A, Barker JH, La Hoz RM, Johnson JR Journal of clinical microbiology 2018 Jun
Short-Term Outcomes of Deceased Donor Renal Transplants of HCV Uninfected Recipients from HCV Seropositive Non-viremic donors and Viremic Donors in the Era of Direct-Acting Antivirals.
La Hoz RM, Sandikçi B, Ariyamuthu VK, Tanriover B, American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons 2019 Jun
Tissue and blood protozoa including toxoplasmosis, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, Babesia, Acanthamoeba, Balamuthia, and Naegleria in solid organ transplant recipients- Guidelines from the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice.
La Hoz RM, Morris MI, Clinical transplantation 2019 Apr e13546
Reactivation of Chagas disease among heart transplant recipients in the United States, 2012-2016.
Gray AEB, La Hoz RM, Green JS, Vikram HR, Benedict T, Rivera H, Montgomery SP Transplant infectious disease : an official journal of the Transplantation Society 2018 Sep e12996
Training in transplant infectious diseases: A survey of infectious diseases and transplant infectious diseases fellows in the United States and Canada.
Tan SK, Theodoropoulos N, La Hoz RM, Mossad SB, Kotton CN, Danziger-Isakov LA, Kumar D, Huprikar S Transplant infectious disease : an official journal of the Transplantation Society 2018 May e12915
Delayed febrile response with bloodstream infections in patients with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices.
Wrobel CA, Drazner MH, Ayers CR, Pham DD, La Hoz RM, Grodin JL, Garg S, Mammen PPA, Morlend RM, Araj F, Amin AA, Cornwell WK, Thibodeau JT Journal of investigative medicine : the official publication of the American Federation for Clinical Research 2019 Mar 67 3 653-658
- Gain-of-function signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 (STAT1) mutation-related primary immunodeficiency is associated with disseminated mucormycosis.
- Invasive Fungal Infections: Candidiasis, Cryptococcosis, Aspergillosis, Blastomycosis and Histoplasmosis
- Infectious Complications in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- Infectious Complications in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Infectious Complications Transplant Recipients