- Research - New York Presbyterian Hospital (2008-2009), Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Internship - University of Mississippi Medical Center (2009-2010), Anesthesiology
- Residency - University of Mississippi Medical Center (2010-2013), Anesthesiology
- Residency - Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2013-2014), Critical Care Medicine
- Fellowship - Duke University (2014-2015), Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- Medical School - American University of Antigua College of Medicine (2005-2008), Anesthesiology & Pain Management
Sreekanth Cheruku, M.D.
- Anesthesiology and Pain Management
- Pain Management
Sreekanth Cheruku, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in cardiothoracic anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
Dr. Cheruku earned his medical degree at the American University of Antigua. He completed a residency in anesthesiology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, a fellowship in critical care medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, and an additional fellowship in adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology at Duke University Medical Center. He is board certified in anesthesiology, critical care medicine, and advanced perioperative transesophageal echocardiography.
Dr. Cheruku divides his time between the cardiothoracic operating rooms and the cardiovascular intensive care unit (CVICU), attending to patients, educating trainees, and conducting clinical research. He serves as the CVICU’s Director of Education and leads an innovative multidisciplinary curriculum for graduate medical trainees.
His research focuses on identifying and mitigating risk factors for adverse outcomes after cardiac surgery. He recently completed a pilot study evaluating the Fitbit tracking device in post-cardiac surgery ICU patients and currently leads a randomized controlled trial evaluating the role of mobility interventions on postoperative outcomes. This project was recently selected as a finalist in the UT Southwestern Center for Translational Medicine’s Team Science Competition.
He has delivered more than a dozen invited lectures and has published original research, review articles, and book chapters.
He is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, the American Heart Association, and the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
In 2018, Dr. Cheruku earned the Critical Care Faculty of the Year Award from the UTSW Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management.
Education & Training
- Pain Management