- Residency - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2011-2014), Dermatology
- Internship - University of Maryland Medical Center (2010-2011), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Johns Hopkins University (2003-2010), Cellular & Moleculary Medicine
In 2014, Dr. Harris-Tryon joined the Department of Dermatology at UTSW and returned to the bench as a postdoctoral fellow in the lab of Dr. Lora Hooper, an internationally recognized leader in mechanistic studies of the host /microbe interface. Dr. Harris-Tryon expanded the focus of the lab to include skin. Though insight has been gained into what organisms reside on the surface of the skin, little is known about how these organisms – collectively termed the “microbiota” – impact the immune system. The long-term goal of this work is to understand how the microbiota regulate skin immunity.
Dr. Harris-Tryon is a magna cum laude alumna of Haverford College in Pennsylvania. After completing her undergraduate studies she entered the Johns Hopkins University’s Medical Scientist Training Program. She completed her graduate training in the lab of Charles Lowenstein M.D. and her work linked the expression of an endothelial microRNA play to vascular inflammation.
- American Academy of Dermatology (2011), Member
- Womens Dermatological Society (2013), Member
- Society of Investigative Dermatology (2013), Member
- UT Southwestern-Gotcha Covered Mentorship Program (2016), Mentor
- National Medical Association (2016), Member
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund-Post doctoral enrichment grant recipient, Microbiota-immune system interactions in the skin
- Dermatology Foundation Career Development Award
- Judy Warson Award for Clinical Excellence, Johns Hopkins Department of Dermatology
- Fellowship for Women in Dermatologic Research- American Fellow, Sponsered by Lilly & Co and the Womens Dermatologic Society
The heat resistant agglutinin 1 is an accessory enteroaggregative Escherichia coli colonization factor
Samhita Bhargava, Brandon B Johnson, Jennifer Hwang, Tamia A Harris, Anu S George, Amanda Muir, Justin Dorff and Iruka N Okeke 2009 Aug
Chronological Aging in African-American Skin: A Reliable Photonumeric Scale Demonstrates Age and Body Mass Index as Contributing Factors.
Chien AL, Qi J, Grandhi R, Harris-Tryon T, Kim N, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, César SSA, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S Journal of the National Medical Association 2018 Feb
Resistin-like molecule ß is a bactericidal protein that promotes spatial segregation of the microbiota and the colonic epithelium.
Propheter DC, Chara AL, Harris TA, Ruhn KA, Hooper LV Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2017 Oct 114 42 11027-11033
MicroRNA-126 regulates endothelial expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule 1.
Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Ferlito M, Mendell JT, Lowenstein CJ Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2008 Feb 105 5 1516-21
Effect of Age, Gender, and Sun Exposure on Ethnic Skin Photoaging: Evidence Gathered Using a New Photonumeric Scale
Chien AC, Qi J, Grandhi R, Kim N, Alessi Cesar SS, Harris-Tryon TA, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S Journal of the National Medical Association 2017
Ets-1 and Ets-2 regulate the expression of microRNA-126 in endothelial cells
Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Kondo M, Oettgen P, Lowenstein CJ 2010
- The heat resistant agglutinin 1 is an accessory enteroaggregative Escherichia coli colonization factor
- Innate Immunity
- Host-microbial interactions