- Residency - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2011-2014), Dermatology
- Internship - University of Maryland Medical Center (2010-2011), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Johns Hopkins University (2003-2010), Cellular & Moleculary Medicine
Tamia Harris-Tryon, M.D., Ph.D.
- Dermatology - General
Tamia Harris-Tryon, M.D., Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Dermatology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Harris-Tryon earned her combined medical and doctoral degree in cellular and molecular medicine at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and completed a residency in dermatology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Certified by the American Board of Dermatology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
Dr. Harris-Tryon is a member of the Society for Investigative Dermatology, the American Academy of Dermatology, the National Medical Association, and the Women’s Dermatologic Society.
She completed her postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern in the lab of Lora Hooper, Ph.D. Dr. Harris-Tryon’s research focuses on the organisms that reside on the surface of the skin – collectively termed the “microbiota” – and how they impact the skin’s immune system. Her work is supported by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, UT Southwestern, and the Dermatology Foundation.
In 2019, she earned the American Academy of Dermatology’s Young Investigator Award.
- National Medical Association (2016), Member
- UT Southwestern-Gotcha Covered Mentorship Program (2016), Mentor
- Society of Investigative Dermatology (2013), Member
- Women's Dermatological Society (2013), Member
- American Academy of Dermatology (2011), Member
- Texas Monthly Super Doctors, Rising Star 2020
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund-Post doctoral enrichment grant recipient, Microbiota-immune system interactions in the skin
- Dermatology Foundation Career Development Award
- Judy Warson Award for Clinical Excellence, Johns Hopkins Department of Dermatology
- Fellowship for Women in Dermatologic Research- American Fellow, Sponsored by Lilly & Co. and the Women's Dermatologic Society
Chronological Aging in African-American Skin: A Reliable Photonumeric Scale Demonstrates Age and Body Mass Index as Contributing Factors.
Chien AL, Qi J, Grandhi R, Harris-Tryon T, Kim N, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, César SSA, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S Journal of the National Medical Association 2018 Feb
Resistin-like molecule ? is a bactericidal protein that promotes spatial segregation of the microbiota and the colonic epithelium.
Propheter DC, Chara AL, Harris TA, Ruhn KA, Hooper LV Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2017 Oct 114 42 11027-11033
MicroRNA-126 regulates endothelial expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule 1.
Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Ferlito M, Mendell JT, Lowenstein CJ Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2008 Feb 105 5 1516-21
Effect of Age, Gender, and Sun Exposure on Ethnic Skin Photoaging: Evidence Gathered Using a New Photonumeric Scale
Chien AC, Qi J, Grandhi R, Kim N, Alessi Cesar SS, Harris-Tryon TA, Jang MS, Olowoyeye O, Kuhn D, Leung S, Rainer BM, Poon F, Suh J, Cheng N, Okoye GA, Kang S Journal of the National Medical Association 2017
The heat resistant agglutinin 1 is an accessory enteroaggregative Escherichia coli colonization factor
Samhita Bhargava, Brandon B Johnson, Jennifer Hwang, Tamia A Harris, Anu S George, Amanda Muir, Justin Dorff and Iruka N Okeke 2009 Aug
Ets-1 and Ets-2 regulate the expression of microRNA-126 in endothelial cells
Harris TA, Yamakuchi M, Kondo M, Oettgen P, Lowenstein CJ 2010
Resistin-like Molecule a Provides Vitamin-A-Dependent Antimicrobial Protection in the Skin.
Harris TA, Gattu S, Propheter DC, Kuang Z, Bel S, Ruhn KA, Chara AL, Edwards M, Zhang C, Jo JH, Raj P, Zouboulis CC, Kong HH, Segre JA, Hooper LV, Cell host & microbe 2019 Jun 25 6 777-788.e8
A Staphylococcus Path to Improved Therapeutics in Atopic Dermatitis.
Harris-Tryon TA, Bel S, JAMA dermatology 2021 Jun
Knowledge and attitude toward the human microbiome: A single-center cross-sectional survey.
Pineider J, Reisch J, Harris-Tryon T, Savory S, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2021 Jan
Illuminating the Role of Vitamin A in Skin Innate Immunity and the Skin Microbiome: A Narrative Review.
Roche FC, Harris-Tryon TA, Nutrients 2021 Jan 13 2
Supporting women in academia during and after a global pandemic.
Reese TA, Harris-Tryon TA, Gill JG, Banaszynski LA, Science advances 2021 Feb 7 9
- Chronological Aging in African-American Skin: A Reliable Photonumeric Scale Demonstrates Age and Body Mass Index as Contributing Factors.
- Innate Immunity
- Host-microbial interactions