- Fellowship - New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2009-2011), Nephrology
- Residency - New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2004-2007), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Russian State Medical University (1992-1998)
Abey Thomas, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Hospital Medicine - University Hospitals
Dr. Thomas was born in the United Arab Emirates and attended Medical School in Moscow, Russian Federation. He then worked for several years in India as a General Practitioner before moving to the United States and undergoing his residency training in Internal Medicine as well as his fellowship in Nephrology and Hypertension at New York Hospital Queens – a teaching affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College. Besides his clinical interests in the subjects of fluid and electrolyte balance, Dr. Thomas brings to UTSW firsthand knowledge of the healthcare systems in four different countries and experience working on hospital workflow/quality improvement projects especially in the fields of physician service handoffs and electronic medical records. He has a keen interest in the evolving role of Hospitalists in the healthcare system and with special emphasis on their impact on efficient delivery of care and medical education.
Dr. Thomas is an avid foodie and traveler, loves tinkering with technology, and likes to spend most of his time outside of work with his extended family and friends.
- American Society of Nephrology (2009), Member
- National Kidney Foundation (2010), Member
- Joe Dwek Teacher of the Year Award 2007, Senior resident teaching award at New York Hospital Queens
Mentoring a vulnerable cohort for success: the special case of the foreign medical graduate, mentoring in academic medicine
Reichert Sf, Thomas AK, (2010), ACP Press
- Mentoring a vulnerable cohort for success: the special case of the foreign medical graduate, mentoring in academic medicine
Optimizing Discharge Summaries: A Multispecialty, Multicenter Survey of Primary Care Clinicians.
Silver AM, Goodman LA, Chadha R, Higdon J, Burton M, Palabindala V, Jonnalagadda N, Thomas A, O'Donnell C, Journal of patient safety 2020 Dec Publish Ahead of Print
Web Exclusive. Annals Graphic Medicine - A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2021 Feb 174 2 W22-W23
Thomas AK, AMA journal of ethics 2020 Sep 22 9 E816-817
Annals Graphic Medicine - Progress?
Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Sep 173 6 W120-W121
Web Exclusive. Annals Graphic Medicine - Modern Medicine.
Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Feb 172 4 W63
Thomas AK, AMA journal of ethics 2020 Jul 22 7 E636-638
Saliva for use with a point of care assay for the rapid diagnosis of COVID-19.
SoRelle JA, Mahimainathan L, McCormick-Baw C, Cavuoti D, Lee F, Thomas A, Sarode R, Clark AE, Muthukumar A, Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry 2020 Sep
- Optimizing Discharge Summaries: A Multispecialty, Multicenter Survey of Primary Care Clinicians.
- Physician handoff
- Involuntary discharge from dialysis units