- Undergraduate School - University of Texas at Dallas (1985-1989), Speech-language Pathology
- Graduate School - University of Texas at Dallas (1990-1992), Communication Disorders
- Graduate School - University of Texas at Dallas (1992-1994), Human Development and Communication Sciences
Angela Shoup, Ph.D.
Angela Shoup, Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology and Chief of the Division of Communicative and Vestibular Disorders at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Shoup earned her doctorate in human development and communication sciences from the University of Texas at Dallas, where she also earned a master’s degree in communication disorders with a specialty focus in audiology. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1996.
In her role as Chief of the Division of Communicative and Vestibular Disorders, she provides administrative oversight for audiologists at UT Southwestern-affiliated health systems, including Parkland Health and Hospital System and Children’s Health. Speech pathologists in her division also provide services at UT Southwestern’s West Campus otolaryngology clinic.
Dr. Shoup’s research interests include implementation of universal newborn hearing screening programs, developmental issues in audition, auditory electrophysiology, diagnostic assessment for auditory and vestibular disorders, hearing aids, and cochlear implants.
She has published articles and textbook chapters on audiologic procedures and implantable hearing devices. She has been an invited speaker and has presented her research findings at national and international meetings.
In 2016, Dr. Shoup received the University of Texas at Dallas Distinguished Alumni Award. In 2018, she was named a D Magazine Best Doctor and inducted into the National Academy of Practice in Audiology as a Distinguished Scholar and Fellow.
Dr. Shoup is a member of several professional organizations including the American Academy of Audiology, the Texas Academy of Audiology, and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
She has served in multiple leadership positions, including President of the Texas Academy of Audiology. She currently serves as Co-chair of the Women in Science and Medicine Advisory Committee at UT Southwestern and as Vice-chair of the National Academy of Practice in Audiology. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Audiology.
- American Academy of Audiology
- American Auditory Society
- American Speech-Language and Hearing Association
- Association for Research in Otolaryngology
- Texas Academy of Audiology: 2005-President-elect; 2006-President; 2007-Past President
- Texas Hospital Association and Texas House of Representatives 2000, Flag Flown at the capital on August 23, 2000 in honor of outstanding service to the children of Texas
- Chair's Outstanding Faculty Award, Texas Tech University School of Allied Health, Dept. of Communication Disorders 1996, Excellence in Teaching and Research
- Research Enhancement Award from Texas Tech University Health Science Center School of Allied Health 1996, Development of a computer based system for objective behavioral assessment of newborn auditory perception
- Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation 1996, President's Research Award
Dichotic speech recognition by bilateral cochlear implant users
Mani A, Loizou PC, Shoup A, Roland P, Kruger P RT Miyamoto (Ed), Cochlear Implants: Proceedings of the VIII International Cochlear Implant Conference March 2004 466-469
Newborn Hearing Screening and Detection of Congenital Cytomegalovirus Infection
Stehel EK, Shoup AG, Owen KE, Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Boney LF, Sanchez PJ Pediatrics 2008 121 970-75
Reliability of a rating scale used to distinguish direction of eye movement using infrared/video ENG recordings during repositioning maneuvers
Blau P, Shoup A International J Audiol 2007 46 427-32
Etanercept treatment for autoimmune inner ear disease: results of a pilot placebo-controlled study
Cohen S, Shoup A, Weisman MH, Harris J Otology Neurotology 2005 26 903-07
The Parkland Memorial Hospital experience in assuring compliance with Universal Newborn Hearing Screening follow-up
Shoup AG, Owen K, Jackson G, Laptook A Journal of Pediatrics 2005 146(1) 50-56
Verification of improved patient outcomes with a partially implantable hearing aid, the SOUNDTEC Direct Drive Hearing System (DDHS)
Roland PS, Shoup AG, Shea MC, Richey HS, Jones DB Laryngoscope 2001 111(10) 1682-6
Vestibular dysfunction in Gulf War Syndrome
Roland PS, Haley RW, Yellin W, Owen K, Shoup AG Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 122(3) 319-29
Electrocochleography and intranasal allergen challenge as investigational tools in patients with inhalant allergy and Menieres disease
Eaton, DA, Roland PS, Mabry RL, Shoup AG Laryngoscope 2003 113 33-36
Inhalant allergy and Menieres disease: Use of electrocochleography and intranasal allergen challenge as investigational tools
Noell CA, Roland PS, Mabry RL, Shoup AG Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 2001 125(4) 346-50
- Dichotic speech recognition by bilateral cochlear implant users
- Auditory electrophysiology
- Cochlear implants
- Development of auditory perception
- Evaluation of Auditory and Vestibular Disorders
- Hearing aids