- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992-1995), Cardiology
- Residency - Boston University School of Medicine (1987-1989), Internal Medicine
- Internship - Boston University School of Medicine (1986-1987), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - Medical College of Wisconsin (1982-1986)
DuWayne Willett, M.D.
- Haberecht Family Chair in Medical Informatics, in Honor of DuWayne Willett, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Cardiology
- General Cardiology
DuWayne L. Willett, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine’s Division of Cardiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in general and noninvasive cardiology.
Dr. Willett earned his medical degree at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Boston University Medical Campus and received advanced training in cardiovascular disease through a fellowship at UT Southwestern. He also earned a Master of Science in Information Systems from Drexel University and a Master of Science in Healthcare Management from the University of Texas at Dallas.
Board certified in cardiovascular diseases and clinical informatics, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1995.
In addition to his clinical roles, Dr. Willett serves as Chief Medical Informatics Officer for the UT Southwestern Health System. As part of his work in that arena, he helped develop information systems and databases for the groundbreaking Dallas Heart Study. Currently, he works on ways to leverage electronic health records to more rapidly develop specialty patient registries and clinical decision support for physicians and patients.
Dr. Willett is a member of the American Medical Informatics Association, the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, and the Healthcare Data Warehousing Association.
He has published a number of academic articles on heart valve disease and on medical informatics. In 2016, he co-led a UT Southwestern team that earned a national Innovator Award from Healthcare Informatics magazine for rapid development of specialty registries.
In 2019, Dr. Willett received UT Southwestern's Institutional Service Award.
- Institutional Service Award – UT Southwestern 2019
- General Cardiology