- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2005-2007), Pediatric Surgery
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994-1996), Research
- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990-1994), General Surgery
- Internship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1989-1990), General Surgery
- Medical School - UT Southwestern Medical School (1985-1989)
- Other Post Graduate Training - University of Texas at Dallas (1983-1985)
Joseph T. Murphy, MD, is an Associate Professor of Surgery in the Division of Pediatric Surgery. Dr. Murphy obtained a BA degree in Biology at the State University of New York in Buffalo, a Master of Science in Biology at the University of Texas at Dallas and his MD from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He completed a General Surgery residency and CORE laboratory research fellowship at UT Southwestern before joining the Department of Surgery faculty as Assistant Professor in 1996.
As a board-certified General Surgeon, he has extensive clinical experience in management of severe traumatic injury, thermal injury and critically ill patients during 11 years as Surgery faculty. He completed a Pediatric Surgery Fellowship at Children?s Medical Center, Dallas in 2007.
Dr. Murphy currently has admitting and operating privileges at Children’s Medical Center, Parkland Memorial Hospital, St. Paul University Hospital and Zale-Lipshy University Hospital. He serves on the Children's Medical Center Medical Advisory Board and Credentials Committee.
Dr. Murphy’s current clinical research includes: investigation of outcomes in children requiring pre-hospital CPR resulting from traumatic injury; assessment of morbidity and mortality of iatrogenic and traumatic vascular injury and insufficiency in children; outcome of Puestow procedure for pancreatic disease in children; and examination of laparoscopic vs. open peritoneal dialysis catheter placement in children.
He is an ad-hoc reviewer for several peer-review professional journals and has authored multiple articles, abstracts and book chapters examining the cardiopulmonary, inflammatory and molecular consequences of thermal injury and sepsis.
He was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Society of University Surgeons
- Association for Academic Surgery
- American Pediatric Surgery Association
- American College of Surgeons: Fellow 1998
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Academic Excellence Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas 1994
- Young Investigator Award Finalist: Shock Society 1995, Eighteenth Annual Conference on Shock
- Excellence in Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas 2002, Teaching Award
- Snyder-Laycock Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas 2003, Teaching Award
Routine Drainage of Post-Operative Fluid Collections After Appendectomy for Perforated Appendicitis Does Not Improve Outcome.
Piper, P.G., Derinkuyu, B., Koral, K., Perez, E.A., Murphy, J.T. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 2011 46 1126-1130
Airway Obstruction Due to Endotracheal Tube's Lumen Collapse Secondary to Cuff Overinflation.
Pop, R., Murphy, J.T., Szmuk, P Anesthesia & Analgesia 2011 112 1151-1152
Pre-Hospital Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the Pediatric Trauma Patient.
Murphy, J.T., Jaiswal, K., Sabella, J., Vinson, L., Megison, S., Maxson, R.T Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2010 45 1413-1419
Reactive Oxygen Species Mediate Endotoxin-Induced Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial NF-kB Activation
Chan EL, Murphy JT Journal of Surgical Research 2003
ZO-1 Redistribution anf F-actin Stress Fiber Formation in Pulmonary Endothelial Cell Following Thermal Injury
Murphy JT, Duffy S. Journal of Trauma 2003 Vol 54 81-90
Mechanisms of Pulmonary Microvascular Dysfunction Druing Severe Burn Injury
Turnage RH, Nwariaku F, Murphy JT, Schulman C, Wright K, Yin H. World Journal of Surgery 2002 26 848-853
Differential Activation of Coronary and Pulmonary Endothelial Cells by Thermal Injury
Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Shock 2001 16 227-231
Thrombin-Mediated Permeability of Human Microvascular Pulmonary Endothelial Cells is Calcium-Dependent
Murphy JT, Duffy S, Hybki DL, Kamm K Journal of Trauma 2001 50 213-222
Thermal Injury Alters the Endothelial Vasonconstrictor and Vasodilator Response to Endotoxin
Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Journal of Trauma 1999 47 492-499
- Routine Drainage of Post-Operative Fluid Collections After Appendectomy for Perforated Appendicitis Does Not Improve Outcome.
- Pediatric Surgical Oncology
- Neonatal Surgery