- Medical School - The University of Ireland (1989-1993)
- Internship - St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1993-1994), Surgery
- Residency - Boston University Medical Center (1994-1994), Internal Medicine
- Residency - The Children's Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1994-1995), Pediatrics
- Residency - The National Maternity Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1995-1995), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Residency - Cleveland Clinic Foundation (1996-1999), Pediatrics
- Fellowship - Children's Hospital Medical Center (1999-2002), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
Maeve Sheehan, M.D.
Vice Chair for Clinical Operations
- Pediatrics - Critical Care
Dr. Sheehan graduated from University College Dublin, Ireland in 1993. She undertook further training in Pediatrics and Neonatology in Ireland before completing a Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, and a Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dr. Sheehan joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern in 2002, and is currently a Professor of Pediatrics and Vice Chair for Clinical Operations.
Her academic interests include; sepsis, pediatric transport, patient flow and patient safety. Dr. Sheehan has a number of administrative roles as the Vice Chair for Clinical Operations at UT Southwestern and Chief Medical Officer at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
Education & Training
Professional Associations & Affiliations
- Texas Pediatric Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American College of Physician Advisors
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1996)
- Air Medical Physician Association (2005)
Honors & Awards
- Educational scholarship 2001, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Specialty award 2002, Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- President of Medical and Dental Staff, Children's Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 2010
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist 2021
Books & Publications
Interfacility Transport in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 4th edition, Schafermeyer R, Tenenbein M, Macias C, Sharieff G, Yamamoto L, eds.
Sheehan M, Huang CJ (2014), McGraw-Hill
Pediatric Prehospital Care; Interfacility Transport in Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, Prendergast H, Dobiesz V, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2012), McGraw-Hill
Pre-Hospital Care; Interfacility Transport in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 3rd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2009), McGraw-Hill
- Interfacility Transport in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 4th edition, Schafermeyer R, Tenenbein M, Macias C, Sharieff G, Yamamoto L, eds.
Nuclear factor-kappaB as a therapeutic target in critical care medicine.
Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Wong HR Critical care medicine 2003 Jan 31 1 Suppl S105-11
Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
Parthenolide improves systemic hemodynamics and decreases tissue leukosequestration in rats with polymicrobial sepsis.
Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B Critical care medicine 2003 Sep 31 9 2263-70
Protective effects of isohelenin, an inhibitor of nuclear factor kappaB, in endotoxic shock in rats.
Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B Journal of endotoxin research 2002 8 2 99-107
Parthenolide, an inhibitor of the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway, ameliorates cardiovascular derangement and outcome in endotoxic shock in rodents.
Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Malhotra V, O'Connor M, Zingarelli B Molecular pharmacology 2002 May 61 5 953-63
Peroxisome proliferator activator receptor-gamma ligands, 15-deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J2 and ciglitazone, reduce systemic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis by modulation of signal transduction pathways.
Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Hake PW, O'Connor M, Denenberg A, Cook JA Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 2003 Dec 171 12 6827-37
Yet another potential role for nitric oxide in the pathophysiology of septic shock.
Sheehan M, Wong HR Critical care medicine 2002 Jun 30 6 1393-4
Improving Reliability to a Care Goal Rounding Template in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Efune PN, Morse RB, Sheehan M, Malone LM, Robertson TS, Darnell C Pediatric Quality & Safety 2018 3 6 e117
- Nuclear factor-kappaB as a therapeutic target in critical care medicine.
- Performance Improvement
- Patient safety and quality
- Interfacility Transport