- Residency - Parkland Health & Hospital System (1994-1996), Internal Medicine
- Internship - Parkland Health & Hospital System (1993-1994), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - East Carolina University (1989-1993)
- Graduate School - The University of Texas at Dallas (2013-2015)
- Fellowship - University of Texas Southwestern Medical (1996-1997), Clinical Research
Temple Howell-Stampley, M.D.
- Cissy and W. Plack Carr, Jr. Professorship in Medical Education
- P. Eugene Jones, Ph.D., PA-C Professorship in Physician Assistant Studies
- Internal Medicine - General Internal Medicine
- Adult Preventive Medicine
- Primary Care
Temple Howell-Stampley, M.D., MBA, is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She also serves as Chair and Program Director of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies in UT Southwestern’s School of Health Professions and is the inaugural holder of the P. Eugene Jones, Ph.D., PA-C Professorship in Physician Assistant Studies. She specializes in general internal medicine.
Dr. Howell-Stampley earned her medical degree at the East Carolina University School of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine at UT Southwestern, where she also received advanced training through a research fellowship in cardiology. She also holds a master’s degree in healthcare organization leadership from the Jindal School of Management at UT Dallas.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1997.
Dr. Howell-Stampley’s clinical interests include primary care, clinical integration of advanced practice providers, quality improvement, and patient safety.
She is a Master in the American College of Physicians and a member of the American Medical Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Dallas County Medical Society, the National Medical Association, the CV Roman Medical Society, and the Physician Assistant Education Association, among other professional organizations.
Education & Training
Professional Associations & Affiliations
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- National Medical Association
- CV Roman Medical Society
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Honors & Awards
- Master, American College of Physicians 2022
- Cissy and W. Plack Carr, Jr. Professorship in Medical Education 2021
- Master, Cary College – UT Southwestern Academic Colleges 2021
- P. Eugene Jones, Ph.D, PA-D Professorship in Physician Assistant Studies – Inaugural Holder 2020
- Bridges to Excellence Cardiac Recognition Program 2012, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Bridges to Excellence Diabetes Recognition Program 2011, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- D Magazine Best Doctor, (2011-2017, 2020)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians 2006-2021
Books & Publications
The good, the bad and the early adopters: providers' attitudes about a common, commercial EHR
Makam, AN, Lanham, HJ, Batchelor, K, Moran, B, Howell-Stampley, T, Kirk, L, Cherukuri, M, Samal, L, Santini, N, Leykum, LK, and Halm, EA 2013
Improving Performance on Preventive Health Quality Measures Using Clinical Decision Support to Capture Care Done Elsewhere and Patient Exceptions.
Bowen ME, Bhat D, Fish J, Moran B, Howell-Stampley T, Kirk L, Persell SD, Halm EA American journal of medical quality : the official journal of the American College of Medical Quality 2017 Oct 1062860617732830
Overweight and Sympathetic Overactivity in Black Americans
Nicola I. Abate, Yasser H. Mansour, Meryem Tuncel, Debbie Arbique, Bahman Chavoshan, Ali Kizilbash, Temple Howell-Stampley, Wanpen Vongpatanasin, and Ronald G. Victor Hypertension 2001 38 379-383
Use and satisfaction with key functions of a common commercial electronic health record: a survey of primary care providers
Makam AN, Lanham HJ, Batchelor K, Samal L, Moran B, Howell-Stampley T, Kirk L, Cherukuri M, Santini N, Leykum LK, Halm EA 2013
We can do better
Sturges, Daytheon PhD, MPAS, PA-C; Cawse-Lucas, Jeanne MD; Ryujin, Darin MS, MPAS, PA-C; Rodriguez, José E. MD; Howell-Stampley, Temple S. MD, MBA; Tran, Bau P. PharmD, MMS, PA-C; Honda, Trenton J. PhD, MMS, PA-C Journal of the American Academy of PAs 2022 35 4 14-15
- The good, the bad and the early adopters: providers' attitudes about a common, commercial EHR
- Adult Preventive Medicine
- Primary Care
- Clinical Integration of Advanced Practice Providers
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety