- Medical School - UT Southwestern Medical School (1979-1983)
- Residency - University of Virginia Health System (1983-1986), Pediatric Medicine
- Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine (1997-1997), Interventional Cardiac Catheterization
- Fellowship - Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (1986-1989), Pediatric Cardiology
Thomas Zellers, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Cardiology
- Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine
Dr. Thomas Zellers is the VP, Medical Staff Affairs at Childrens Medical Center Dallas. He is an Interventional Pediatric Cardiologist involved in clinical trials of several transcatheter delivered devices for treatment of structural heart disease.
Dr. Zellers was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018.
- Dallas County Medical Society (2007)
- Texas Medical Society (2007)
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas (2006)
- Congenital Cardiovascular Intervention Study Consortium, President (2005)
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Intervention (1999)
- American Heart Association Councils for Basic Science and CVDY (1989)
- Texas Super Doctors 2017, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Best Pediatric Specialists 2010-2017, D Magazine
- Patient's Choice Award 2004, Mended Hearts Parents Group
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award 1991, Awarded by Children’s Medical Center of Dallas
- Second Place, Young Investigator Award 1989, Awarded by American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Cardiology, San Francisco, CA
- Finalist, Young Investigator Award 1988, Awarded by American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Cardiology, Chicago, IL
- Best Paper by a Resident or Fellow 1987, Awarded by Annual Meeting of Northwestern Pediatric Society, Bloomington, MN
- Eli Lilly Scholar 1977, Awarded byWabash College
Acute and Midterm Outcomes of Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement for Treatment of Dysfunctional Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Conduits in Patients With Aortopulmonary Transposition and a Systemic Right Ventricle.
Whiteside W, Tretter JT, Aboulhosn J, Aldoss O, Armstrong AK, Bocks ML, Gillespie MJ, Jones TK, Martin MH, Meadows JJ, Metcalf CM, Turner ME, Zellers T, Goldstein BH Circulation. Cardiovascular interventions 2017 Sep 10 9
Invasive Hemodynamics of Adult Congenital Heart Disease: From Shunts to Coarctation.
Veeram Reddy SR, Nugent AW, Zellers TM, Dimas VV Interventional cardiology clinics 2017 Jul 6 3 345-358
Initial Experience With the Pediatric Impella Device: A Feasibility Study in a Porcine Model.
Webb MK, Wang J, Riegel MS, Guleserian KJ, Forbess JM, Zellers TM, Dimas VV Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2016 May
Intermediate Outcomes in the Prospective, Multicenter Coarctation of the Aorta Stent Trial (COAST).
Meadows J, Minahan M, McElhinney DB, McEnaney K, Ringel R Circulation 2015 May 131 19 1656-64
One-year follow-up of the Melody transcatheter pulmonary valve multicenter post-approval study.
Armstrong AK, Balzer DT, Cabalka AK, Gray RG, Javois AJ, Moore JW, Rome JJ, Turner DR, Zellers TM, Kreutzer J JACC. Cardiovascular interventions 2014 Nov 7 11 1254-62
Management and Outcomes of Heterotaxy Syndrome Associated With Pulmonary Atresia or Pulmonary Stenosis.
Sebastian VA, Brenes J, Murthy R, Veeram Reddy S, Dimas VV, Nugent A, Zellers T, Huang R, Guleserian KJ, Forbess JM The Annals of thoracic surgery 2014 Apr
Closure of patent foramen ovale versus medical therapy after cryptogenic stroke.
Carroll JD, Saver JL, Thaler DE, Smalling RW, Berry S, MacDonald LA, Marks DS, Tirschwell DL The New England journal of medicine 2013 Mar 368 12 1092-100
Comparison of surgical, stent, and balloon angioplasty treatment of native coarctation of the aorta: an observational study by the CCISC (Congenital Cardiovascular Interventional Study Consortium).
Forbes TJ, Kim DW, Du W, Turner DR, Holzer R, Amin Z, Hijazi Z, Ghasemi A, Rome JJ, Nykanen D, Zahn E, Cowley C, Hoyer M, Waight D, Gruenstein D, Javois A, Foerster S, Kreutzer J, Sullivan N, Khan A, Owada C, Hagler D, Lim S, Canter J, Zellers T Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2011 Dec 58 25 2664-74
Stenting of aortic coarctation: acute, intermediate, and long-term results of a prospective multi-institutional registry--Congenital Cardiovascular Interventional Study Consortium (CCISC).
Holzer R, Qureshi S, Ghasemi A, Vincent J, Sievert H, Gruenstein D, Weber H, Alday L, Peirone A, Zellers T, Cheatham J, Slack M, Rome J Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2010 Oct 76 4 553-63
Stent implantation for coarctation of the aorta in a premature infant through carotid cutdown as a bridge to surgical correction.
Dimas VV, Leonard SR, Guleserian KJ, Forbess JM, Zellers TM The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2010 Apr 139 4 1070-1
Simultaneous stent implantation to treat bifurcation stenoses in the pulmonary arteries: Initial results and long-term follow up.
Stapleton GE, Hamzeh R, Mullins CE, Zellers TM, Justino H, Nugent A, Nihill MR, Grifka RG, Ing FF Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2009 Mar 73 4 557-63
Aspirin resistance in children with heart disease at risk for thromboembolism: prevalence and possible mechanisms.
Heistein LC, Scott WA, Zellers TM, Fixler DE, Ramaciotti C, Journeycake JM, Lemler MS Pediatric cardiology 2008 Mar 29 2 285-91
Comprehensive assessment of patent ductus arteriosus by echocardiography before transcatheter closure.
Ramaciotti C, Lemler MS, Moake L, Zellers TM Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography : official publication of the American Society of Echocardiography 2002 Oct 15 10 Pt 2 1154-9
Bedside balloon atrial septostomy is safe, efficacious, and cost-effective compared with septostomy performed in the cardiac catheterization laboratory.
Zellers TM, Dixon K, Moake L, Wright J, Ramaciotti C The American journal of cardiology 2002 Mar 89 5 613-5
Coarctation index: identification of recurrent coarctation in infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome after the Norwood procedure.
Lemler MS, Zellers TM, Harris KA, Ramaciotti C The American journal of cardiology 2000 Sep 86 6 697-9, A9
Transcatheter coil occlusion of the small patent ductus arteriosus (<4 mm): improved results with a "multiple coil-no residual shunt" strategy.
Zellers TM, Wylie KD, Moake L Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2000 Mar 49 3 307-13
Prostacyclin-induced relaxations of small porcine pulmonary arteries are enhanced by the basal release of endothelium-derived nitric oxide through an effect on cyclic GMP-inhibited-cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase.
Zellers TM, Wu YQ, McCormick J, Vanhoutte PM Acta pharmacologica Sinica 2000 Feb 21 2 131-8
Balloon angioplasty for recurrent coarctation of the aorta in patients following staged palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
Zellers TM The American journal of cardiology 1999 Jul 84 2 231-3, A9
Usefulness of Doppler echocardiography in diagnosing right ventricular coronary arterial communications in patients with pulmonary atresia and intact ventricular septum and comparison with angiography.
Garcia JA, Zellers TM, Weinstein EM, Mahony L The American journal of cardiology 1998 Jan 81 1 103-4
Enalapril does not enhance exercise capacity in patients after Fontan procedure.
Kouatli AA, Garcia JA, Zellers TM, Weinstein EM, Mahony L Circulation 1997 Sep 96 5 1507-12
Interaction among ET-1, endothelium-derived nitric oxide, and prostacyclin in pulmonary arteries and veins.
Zellers TM, McCormick J, Wu Y The American journal of physiology 1994 Jul 267 1 Pt 2 H139-47
Oxygen modulates endothelium-derived relaxing factor production in fetal pulmonary arteries.
Shaul PW, Farrar MA, Zellers TM The American journal of physiology 1992 Feb 262 2 Pt 2 H355-64
Endothelium-dependent relaxations of piglet pulmonary arteries augment with maturation.
Zellers TM, Vanhoutte PM Pediatric research 1991 Aug 30 2 176-80
- Acute and Midterm Outcomes of Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement for Treatment of Dysfunctional Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Conduits in Patients With Aortopulmonary Transposition and a Systemic Right Ventricle.
- Transcatheter delivered devices in the treatment of structural heart disease
- Innovative transcatheter therapy to prevent structural heart disease in the fetus and newborn
- Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine