- Medical School - Arizona State University (2002-2008)
- Graduate School - Arizona State University (2002-2008), Psychology
- Internship - Harvard Medical School/Children's Hospital Boston (2007-2008), Psychology
- Fellowship - University of Minnesota Medical School/Children's Hospital (2008-2010), Pediatric Neuropsychology
- Other Post Graduate Training - Arizona State University (2002-2008)
- Graduate School - Arizona State University (2002-2005), Psychology
- Other Post Graduate Training - Arizona State University (2002-2005)
- Undergraduate School - The University of Texas at Austin (1998-2001), Psychology
Veronica Bordes Edgar, Ph.D.
Veronica Bordes Edgar, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in Psychiatry and Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She is a Licensed Psychologist with the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists.
Dr. Bordes Edgar received her undergraduate degree in psychology with high honors from the University of Texas at Austin. She went on to earn her doctorate degree in counseling psychology at Arizona State University. During that time, she received training at Children’s Hospital Boston/Harvard Medical School for her clinical internship. Dr. Bordes Edgar then completed a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in neuropsychology at the University of Minnesota Medical School/Children’s Hospital.
Board certified in clinical neuropsychology and pediatric neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology, Dr. Bordes Edgar joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
She is the co-Director of the Division of Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics where her departmental activities include neuropsychological evaluation of children with developmental disabilities, and teaching and training of graduate students, residents, and fellows.
Dr. Bordes Edgar’s clinical expertise is in the area of pediatric neuropsychology. She has particular interest in working with children who have neurodevelopmental disorders both acquired and genetic. She is bilingual/bicultural and has received specialized training in assessment and therapy in Spanish. Dr. Bordes Edgar’s research expertise is aligned with her clinical interests, as well as in bilingual and cultural issues related to neuropsychology.
TX License #36857; Expires 7/31/2024
Get information on how to verify a license. To file a complaint, call 800-821-3205.
Education & Training
Professional Associations & Affiliations
- Society for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics (2016)
- American Board of Professional Psychology (2014)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (2012)
- National Academy of Neuropsychology (2012)
- American Psychological Association (2009)
- Hispanic Neuropsychological Society (2007)
- International Neuropsychological Society (2007)
- Society for Clinical Neuropsychology (2007), APA Div 40
Honors & Awards
- Hispanic Neuropsychological Society 2021, Fellow
- National Academy of Neuropsychology 2021, Fellow
- Outstanding Research Mentor 2021, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program
- Tony Wong Diversity Award for Outstanding Work Related to Diversity as a Mentor 2021, National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Early Career Psychologist Service Award 2018, American Board of Professional Psychology
- Student Scholarship 2008, National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Distinguished Doctoral Candidate Award 2007, Arizona State University Faculty Women's Association
- Excellence in Campus Leadership Award 2005, American Psychological Association of Graduate Students
- Presidential Citation for Professional Leadership and Service 2004, National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Fellow 2003, Ford Foundation - The National Academies
Books & Publications
Mexicans, Mexican Americans, Caribbean, and other Latin American in Ethnocultural Perspectives on Disaster and Trauma. A. J. Marsella, J. L. Johnson, P. Watson, J. Gryczynski (Eds.)
Arredondo P, Bordes V, Paniagua F. (2008), New York: Springer; 299-320.
Cultural Values in Adaptation Guidelines for Serving Latino Children and Families Affected by Trauma
Perez M, Valdez G, Bordes V, Carrasco N. (2008), San Diego, CA: Chadwick Center for Children and Families.
Cultural competencies for higher education personnel working with Latinas/os: Challenging our cognitive and behavioral flexibility in Handbook for Latina/os in higher education: A camino largo, paso corto. A. M. Gloria, J. Castellanos (Eds.)
Arredondo P, Bordes V. (in press)
Barriers and Practical Approaches to Neuropsychological Assessment of Spanish Speakers in Minority and Cross-Cultural Aspects of Neuropsychological Assessment: Enduring and Emerging Trends. F. R. Ferraro (Ed.)
Salinas CM, Bordes-Edgar V, Puente A. (2016), New York: Taylor & Francis; 229-258.
Culture and Language Diversity in Pediatric Neuropsychology in Clinical Cultural Neuroscience. O. Pedraza (Ed.)
Bordes Edgar V, Romero RA. (2020), New York, Oxford University Press
- Mexicans, Mexican Americans, Caribbean, and other Latin American in Ethnocultural Perspectives on Disaster and Trauma. A. J. Marsella, J. L. Johnson, P. Watson, J. Gryczynski (Eds.)
Predictors of independent living status in adult survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
Kunin-Batson A, Kadan-Lottick N, Zhu L, Cox C, Bordes-Edgar V, Srivastava DK, Zeltzer L, Robison LL, Krull KR Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Feb
Targeted Temperature Management After Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Due To Drowning: Outcomes and Complications.
Moler FW, Hutchison JS, Nadkarni VM, Silverstein FS, Meert KL, Holubkov R, Page K, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Dean JM Pediatric critical care medicine : a journal of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies 2016 Aug 17 8 712-20
Functional Outcome Trajectories After Out-of-Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Arrest.
Silverstein FS, Slomine BS, Christensen J, Holubkov R, Page K, Dean JM, Moler FW Critical care medicine 2016 Dec 44 12 e1165-e1174
Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome: A Unique Case Study.
Tan A, Goodspeed K, Edgar VB Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society : JINS 2018 Oct 24 9 995-1002
Transforming pediatric neuropsychology through video-based teleneuropsychology: an innovative private practice model pre-COVID-19.
Salinas CM, Bordes Edgar V, Berrios Siervo G, Bender HA, Archives of clinical neuropsychology : the official journal of the National Academy of Neuropsychologists 2020 Nov 35 8 1189-1195
Variability in Neuropsychological Phenotypes in Patients with 22Q11.2 Deletion Syndrome: Case Series.
Wierzchowski A, Sablich-Duley S, Bordes Edgar V, Developmental neuropsychology 2021 Aug 46 5 381-392
Pediatric Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Characteristics and Their Association With Survival and Neurobehavioral Outcome.
Meert KL, Telford R, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Dean JM, Moler FW Pediatric critical care medicine : a journal of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies 2016 Dec 17 12 e543-e550
Examining the impact of physical activity on sleep quality and executive functions in children with autism spectrum disorder: A randomized controlled trial.
Tse CYA, Lee HP, Chan KSK, Edgar VB, Wilkinson-Smith A, Lai WHE, Autism : the international journal of research and practice 2019 Jan 1362361318823910
American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology consensus conference statement on uniform labeling of performance test scores.
Guilmette TJ, Sweet JJ, Hebben N, Koltai D, Mahone EM, Spiegler BJ, Stucky K, Westerveld M, The Clinical neuropsychologist 2020 04 34 3 437-453
Who gets certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology and why: A diversity survey.
Frost JC, Molinari V, Dobbs D, Edgar VB, Jones KS, Pietz C, Badana ANS, Journal of clinical psychology 2019 Jun
Mentoring and 1st-year Latina/o college students
Bordes V, Arredondo P. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education 2005 4 114-133
A longitudinal analysis of Latina/o students' academic persistence
Bordes-Edgar V, Arredondo P, Robinson Kurpius S, Rund J. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education 2011 10 358-368
Therapeutic Hypothermia after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Clark AE, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Newth CJ, Bennett KS, Berger JT, Topjian A, Pineda JA, Koch JD, Schleien CL, Dalton HJ, Ofori-Amanfo G, Goodman DM, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Zimmerman JJ, Thomas NJ, van der Jagt EW, Porter MB, Meyer MT, Harrison R, Pham N, Schwarz AJ, Nowak JE, Alten J, Wheeler DS, Bhalala US, Lidsky K, Lloyd E, Mathur M, Shah S, Wu T, Theodorou AA, Sanders RC, Dean JM The New England journal of medicine 2015 Apr
Practical Considerations in the Neuropsychological Assessment of Bilingual (Spanish-English) Children in the United States: Literature Review and Case Series.
Canas A, Bordes Edgar V, Neumann J, Developmental neuropsychology 2020 07 45 4 211-231
Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM The New England journal of medicine 2017 01 376 4 318-329
Supporting a Youth with Cerebellar Ataxia into Adolescence.
Meneses V, Gonzalez-Castillo Z, Edgar VB, Augustyn M Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBP 2017 Mar
Competence in Psychology Board Certification: Unlike a Good Wine, It Does Not Get Better With Age
Edgar VB, Holder N, Cox DR, Suris A American Psychological Association 2019
Mentoring experiences of women in graduate education: Factors that matter
Dixon Rayle A, Bordes V, Zapata A, Arredondo P, Rutter MC, Howard C. Current Issues in Education 2006 6 9
Validation of four measures of social support with Latina/o and non-Hispanic White undergraduates
Bordes V, Sand J, Arredondo P, Robinson Kurpius S, Dixon Rayle A. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences 2006 28 65-83
The psychohistorical approach in family counseling with Mestizo/Latino immigrants: A continuum and synergy of worldviews
Arredondo P, Davison Aviles R, Zalaquett C, Rodriguez Gracioso M. del P, Bordes V, Hita L, Lopez B. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families 2006 14 13-27
- Predictors of independent living status in adult survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Bilingual (Spanish-English) and Cultural Issues in Neuropsychology
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Genetic Disorders
- Neurodevelopmental Disabilities in Young Children
- Pediatric Neuropsychology