- Fellowship - National Institutes of Health (1990-1993), Rheumatology
- Fellowship - Brigham and Women's Hospital (1989-1990), Rheumatology
- Medical School - Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1982-1989)
- Residency - New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) (1986-1989), Internal Medicine
Bonnie Bermas, M.D.
- Dr. Morris Ziff Distinguished Professorship in Rheumatology
- Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
- Rheumatology Disorders
Dr. Bermas is originally from New York. After graduating from Mount Sinai School of Medicine, she completed her residency in internal medicine at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Drawn to immunology and autoimmune diseases, she pursued fellowship training in Rheumatology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and at the National Institutes of Health. Following her training she joined the Rheumatology faculty of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School where she was promoted to Associate Professor of Medicine. During her tenure at BWH, Dr. Bermas was the Clinical Director of the Lupus Center and Co-Director of the Program in Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases. Dr. Bermas brings to UTSW her strong background in the management of complex systemic rheumatic diseases with a special focus in reproductive issues including pre-conception counseling and disease management during pregnancy. Outside of work, Dr. Bermas’ interests include her family, reading, cooking and biking.
- American College of Rheumatology (1993), Member
- Texas Medical Association (2017), Member
- Dallas County Medical Society (2017), Member
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1985, Medical Honor Society
- Compassionate Caregiver 2011, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Best Doctors in America 2009
- Best Doctors in Boston 2002
Drugs and Pregnancy in Rheumatology, 6th Ed.
Bermas BL (2015), St. Louis, MO, Mosby
The Medical Management of the Rheumatology Patient During Pregnancy in Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases
Bermas BL (2014), Springer Press
Pregnancy in Siogren's Syndrome, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, and Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease in Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases
Bermas BL, Sammaritano LR (2014), Springer Press
Pregnancy and Rheumatic Disease in Textbook of Rheumatology
Sammaritano LR, Bermas, BL (2016), Elsevier Health Sciences
Pregnancy and Fertility in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, 1st Ed.
Bermas BL, Sammaritano LR (2016), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Elsevier
- Drugs and Pregnancy in Rheumatology, 6th Ed.
Proceedings from the American College of Rheumatology Reproductive Health Summit: the management of fertility, pregnancy, and lactation in women with autoimmune and systemic inflammatory diseases.
Kavanaugh A, Cush JJ, Ahmed MS, Bermas BL, Chakravarty E, Chambers C, Clowse M, Curtis JR, Dao K, Hankins GD, Koren G, Kim SC, Lapteva L, Mahadevan U, Moore T, Nolan M, Ren Z, Sammaritano LR, Seymour S, Weisman MH Arthritis care & research 2015 Mar 67 3 313-25
Organ-specific systemic lupus erythematosus activity during pregnancy is associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Tedeschi SK, Guan H, Fine A, Costenbader KH, Bermas B Clinical rheumatology 2016 Jul 35 7 1725-32
Development of SLE among "potential SLE" patients seen in consultation: long-term follow-up.
Al Daabil M, Massarotti EM, Fine A, Tsao H, Ho P, Schur PH, Bermas BL, Costenbader KH International journal of clinical practice 2014 Dec 68 12 1508-13
Designing an intervention for women with systemic lupus erythematosus from medically underserved areas to improve care: a qualitative study.
Feldman CH, Bermas BL, Zibit M, Fraser P, Todd DJ, Fortin PR, Massarotti E, Costenbader KH Lupus 2013 Jan 22 1 52-62
Clinical manifestations and survival among adults with (SLE) according to age at diagnosis.
Merola JF, Bermas B, Lu B, Karlson EW, Massarotti E, Schur PH, Costenbader KH Lupus 2014 Jul 23 8 778-84
Autoimmune Arthropathy and Uveitis as Complications of Programmed Death 1 Inhibitor Treatment.
de Velasco G, Bermas B, Choueiri TK Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.) 2016 Feb 68 2 556-7
Proliferative responses to recall antigens are associated with pregnancy outcome in women with a history of recurrent spontaneous abortion.
Bermas BL, Hill JA The Journal of clinical investigation 1997 Sep 100 6 1330-4
Therapy: A fine conception -- BSR/BHPR guidelines on drugs in pregnancy.
Sammaritano LR, Bermas BL Nature reviews. Rheumatology 2016 Apr 12 4 197-8
Lactation and Management of Postpartum Disease.
Bermas BL Rheumatic diseases clinics of North America 2017 May 43 2 249-262
- Proceedings from the American College of Rheumatology Reproductive Health Summit: the management of fertility, pregnancy, and lactation in women with autoimmune and systemic inflammatory diseases.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Rheumatologic Manifestations of Check-point Inhibitors
- Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases
- Rheumatology Disorders