- Medical School - Johns Hopkins University (2000-2004)
- Residency - Duke University Medical Center (2004-2008), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- Fellowship - Duke/Durham VA Medical Center (2008-2010), Research
- Graduate School - Duke/NIH Clinical Research Training Program (2008-2010)
Christy Boling Turer, M.D.
Effective September 1, Dr. Turer will no longer practice in the Medicine Pediatrics clinic and will be moving to adult care in the Multi-Specialty Clinic.
Dr. Turer received her medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and completed combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency training, a Fellowship in Health Services Research in Primary Care, and a Masters in Clinical Research at Duke University Medical Center. She joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2010.
Her research focuses on primary-care weight management in children and adults. Her goal is to identify specific ways that primary-care providers can improve the weight status and health of patients with overweight and obesity. She currently is supported by a five-year (2014-18) career-development award through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to examine pediatrician clinical practices and communication strategies associated with weight-status improvement among overweight children. Her publications address complications of and treatments for pediatric and adult overweight and obesity.
Dr. Turer serves as a past Chair (2013-14) of the Obesity Society’s Clinical Management of Obesity Section and is a standing member (2016-19) of the Food and Drug Administration’s Pediatric Advisory Committee, and a consultant (2014-17) to the Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
Learn more about our General Internal Medicine & Pediatrics Clinic.
- Texas Pediatric Society
- Society of Pediatric Research
- American Society of Nutrition
- American College of Physicians
- Pediatric Advisory Committee (2016-2019)
- American Board of Obesity Medicine (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (2010)
- The Obesity Society, Past-Chair, Clinical Management of Obesity Section
- Academic Pediatric Association (APA)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Elected Advisor, AAP Section on Obesitys COACH network
- American Board of Pediatrics (2008)
- Society of Pediatric Research 2014
- Texas Super Doctor 2017, Texas Monthly Magazine
- American Society for Nutrition 2010
- Dannon Nutrition Leadership Institute 2011
- Special Government Employee 2014-2018, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee
Obesity and Inflammation in Keller K, ed. Encyclopedia of Obesity.
Boling CL. (2008), Sage Publications.
- Obesity and Inflammation in Keller K, ed. Encyclopedia of Obesity.
Algorithm to detect pediatric provider attention to high BMI and associated medical risk.
Turer CB, Skinner CS, Barlow SE Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA 2019 Jan 26 1 55-60
Obesity, Hypertension, and Dyslipidemia in Childhood Are Key Modifiable Antecedents of Adult Cardiovascular Disease: A Call to Action.
Turer CB, Brady TM, de Ferranti SD Circulation 2018 Mar 137 12 1256-1259
Lipid Screening and Treatment Practices Conflict With Conflicting Recommendations: Where Do We Go From Here?
Barlow SE, Turer CB The Journal of pediatrics 2017 Mar
Childhood and Adolescent Adversity and Cardiometabolic Outcomes: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.
Suglia SF, Koenen KC, Boynton-Jarrett R, Chan PS, Clark CJ, Danese A, Faith MS, Goldstein BI, Hayman LL, Isasi CR, Pratt CA, Slopen N, Sumner JA, Turer A, Turer CB, Zachariah JP Circulation 2017 Dec
Discrepancies in Communication Versus Documentation of Weight-Management Benchmarks: Analysis of Recorded Visits With Latino Children and Associated Health-Record Documentation.
Turer CB, Barlow SE, Montaño S, Flores G Global pediatric health 2017 4 2333794X16685190
Primary-Care Weight-Management Strategies: Parental Priorities and Preferences.
Turer CB, Upperman C, Merchant Z, Montaño S, Flores G Academic pediatrics 2015 Sep
Tools for Successful Weight Management in Primary Care.
Turer CB The American journal of the medical sciences 2015 Jul
Pediatricians' Communication About Weight With Overweight Latino Children and Their Parents.
Turer CB, Montaño S, Lin H, Hoang K, Flores G Pediatrics 2014 Oct
Parental perspectives regarding primary-care weight-management strategies for school-age children.
Turer CB, Mehta M, Durante R, Wazni F, Flores G Maternal & child nutrition 2014 Apr
Race and Sex Differences in Small-Molecule Metabolites and Metabolic Hormones in Overweight and Obese Adults.
Patel MJ, Batch BC, Svetkey LP, Bain JR, Turer CB, Haynes C, Muehlbauer MJ, Stevens RD, Newgard CB, Shah SH Omics : a journal of integrative biology 2013 Oct
Health Status, Emotional/Behavioral Problems, Health Care Use, and Expenditures in Overweight/Obese US Children/Adolescents.
Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G Academic pediatrics 2013 May-Jun 13 3 251-8
Do High-Risk Preschoolers or Overweight Mothers Meet AAP-Recommended Behavioral Goals for Reducing Obesity?
Turer CB, Stroo M, Brouwer RJ, Krause KM, Lovelady CA, Bastian LA, Peterson B, Ostbye T Academic pediatrics 2013 Jan
Branched chain amino acids are novel biomarkers for discrimination of metabolic wellness.
Batch BC, Shah SH, Newgard CB, Turer CB, Haynes C, Bain JR, Muehlbauer M, Patel MJ, Stevens RD, Appel LJ, Newby LK, Svetkey LP Metabolism: clinical and experimental 2013 Jan
Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among overweight and obese US children.
Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G Pediatrics 2013 Jan 131 1 e152-61
Branched-chain amino acid levels are associated with improvement in insulin resistance with weight loss.
Shah SH, Crosslin DR, Haynes CS, Nelson S, Turer CB, Stevens RD, Muehlbauer MJ, Wenner BR, Bain JR, Laferrère B, Gorroochurn P, Teixeira J, Brantley PJ, Stevens VJ, Hollis JF, Appel LJ, Lien LF, Batch B, Newgard CB, Svetkey LP Diabetologia 2012 Feb 55 2 321-30
Low HDL predicts differential blood pressure effects from two weight-loss approaches: a secondary analysis of blood pressure from a randomized, clinical weight-loss trial.
Turer CB, Bernstein IH, Edelman DE, Yancy WS Diabetes, obesity & metabolism 2012 Apr 14 4 375-8
Do the five A's work when physicians counsel about weight loss?
Alexander SC, Cox ME, Boling Turer CL, Lyna P, Østbye T, Tulsky JA, Dolor RJ, Pollak KI Family medicine 2011 Mar 43 3 179-84
Adipose tissue mass and location affect circulating adiponectin levels.
Turer AT, Khera A, Ayers CR, Turer CB, Grundy SM, Vega GL, Scherer PE Diabetologia 2011 Jul 2515-24
Weight-loss talks: what works (and what doesn't).
Alexander SC, Cox ME, Yancy WS, Boling Turer C, Lyna P, Østbye T, Dolor RJ, Tulsky JA, Pollak KI The Journal of family practice 2011 Apr 60 4 213-9
Comparison of weight-loss diets.
Boling CL, Westman EC, Yancy WS The New England journal of medicine 2009 May 360 21 2247; author reply 2247-8
Body image dissatisfaction among women with scleroderma: extent and relationship to psychosocial function.
Benrud-Larson LM, Heinberg LJ, Boling C, Reed J, White B, Wigley FM, Haythornthwaite JA Health psychology : official journal of the Division of Health Psychology, American Psychological Association 2003 Mar 22 2 130-9
The impact of pain and symptoms of depression in scleroderma.
Benrud-Larson LM, Haythornthwaite JA, Heinberg LJ, Boling C, Reed J, White B, Wigley FM Pain 2002 Feb 95 3 267-75
Primary pulmonary hypertension is not associated with scleroderma-like changes in nailfold capillaries.
Greidinger EL, Gaine SP, Wise RA, Boling C, Housten-Harris T, Wigley FM Chest 2001 Sep 120 3 796-800
- Algorithm to detect pediatric provider attention to high BMI and associated medical risk.
- Strategies to improve pediatrician recognition and management of weight-related comorbidities
- Pediatric clinical practices and communication strategies that improve the health and weight-status of children with overweight and obesity
- Effective primary-care weight-management interventions
- Immediate and long-term health risks due to pediatric obesity
- Medications that impact weight as a side effect
- Electronic health record-enabled interventions to increase guideline-based weight-management and comorbidity care
- Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine