- Medical School - Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (2008-2012)
- Residency - University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2012-2017), Orthopedic Surgery
- Fellowship - Washington University in St. Louis /Barnes-Jewish Hospital (2017-2018), Hand & Upper Extremity
Daniel Koehler, M.D.
- Orthopaedic Surgery - General Orthopaedics
- Hand Surgery
- Elbow Injuries & Disorders
Daniel Koehler, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Koehler holds a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences from the University of Notre Dame. He earned his medical degree at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. He completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and received advanced training in hand and upper extremity surgery through a fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Koehler’s clinical areas of interest are focused on complex surgery of the hand, wrist, and elbow, including wrist and elbow replacement; repair of wrist and hand arthritis, wrist instability, upper extremity trauma/fractures; reconstructive surgery; microvascular surgery; nerve decompression; sports medicine; and arthroscopic surgery.
Dr. Koehler is a candidate member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
He has delivered numerous national and regional presentations, secured multiple research grants, and published several academic articles.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- J. Albert Key Washington University Orthopaedic Society 2018
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association Senior Resident Education Grant 2016
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Resident Research Project Grant 2015-2016
- 6th Triennial Congress of the International Federation of Pediatric Orthopaedic Societies/ Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America Annual Meeting Best Free Paper 2013
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Grant to Foster Innovations in Resident Surgical Education 2014-2015
- Iowa Orthopaedic Research Foundation Grant 2014-2015
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting Best Poster Presentation 2012
- University Founder’s Medal for First Honors, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine 2012
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine 2011
- National Institute of Health T35 Grant (#T35 HL090555) 2009-2010
- College of Science Valedictorian, University of Notre Dame 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, University of Notre Dame 2008
Endoscopic Versus Open Carpal Tunnel Release: A Detailed Analysis Using Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing at an Academic Medical Center.
Koehler DM, Balakrishnan R, Lawler EA, Shah AS The Journal of hand surgery 2018 Jun
Time-driven activity-based costing: Lessons from an application in healthcare.
Balakrishnan R, Koehler DM, Shah AS. Accounting Horizons 2018 32 4 31-47
Efficacy of Surgical-Site, Multimodal Drug Injection Following Operative Management of Femoral Fractures: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Koehler D, Marsh JL, Karam M, Fruehling C, Willey M The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume 2017 Mar 99 6 512-519
The Role of Elevated Lactate as a Risk Factor for Pulmonary Morbidity After Early Fixation of Femoral Shaft Fractures.
Richards JE, Matuszewski PE, Griffin SM, Koehler DM, Guillamondegui OD, O'Toole RV, Bosse MJ, Obremskey WT, Evans JM Journal of orthopaedic trauma 2016 Jun 30 6 312-8
Obesity Increases Complexity of Distal Radius Fracture in Fall From Standing Height.
Ebinger T, Koehler DM, Dolan LA, McDonald K, Shah AS Journal of orthopaedic trauma 2016 Aug 30 8 450-5
Preinjury Aerobic Fitness Predicts Postoperative Outcome and Activity Level After Acetabular Fracture Fixation.
Phruetthiphat OA, Koehler DM, Karam MD, Rungprai C, Gao Y, Marsh JL Journal of orthopaedic trauma 2016 Aug 30 8 e267-72
Surgical Coaching from Head-Mounted Video in the Training of Fluoroscopically Guided Articular Fracture Surgery.
Karam MD, Thomas GW, Koehler DM, Westerlind BO, Lafferty PM, Ohrt GT, Marsh JL, Van Heest AE, Anderson DD The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume 2015 Jun 97 12 1031-9
Postsurgical complications following distal radius volar plating in a diabetic population at short-term follow-up.
Koehler DM, Gao Y, Guan JJ, Lawler EA, Adams BD, Shah AS Hand (New York, N.Y.) 2015 Dec 10 4 670-7
Twenty-Year Experience with Rigid Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Shaft Fractures in Skeletally Immature Patients.
Crosby SN, Kim EJ, Koehler DM, Rohmiller MT, Mencio GA, Green NE, Lovejoy SA, Schoenecker JG, Martus JE The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume 2014 Jul 96 13 1080-1089
Risk factors for 30-day postoperative complications and mortality following open reduction internal fixation of distal radius fractures.
Schick CW, Koehler DM, Martin CT, Gao Y, Pugely AJ, Shah A, Adams BD The Journal of hand surgery 2014 Dec 39 12 2373-80.e1
Is early venous thromboembolism prophylaxis safe in trauma patients with intracranial hemorrhage.
Koehler DM, Shipman J, Davidson MA, Guillamondegui O The Journal of trauma 2011 Feb 70 2 324-9
Linkage analysis of left ventricular outflow tract malformations (aortic valve stenosis, coarctation of the aorta, and hypoplastic left heart syndrome).
McBride KL, Zender GA, Fitzgerald-Butt SM, Koehler D, Menesses-Diaz A, Fernbach S, Lee K, Towbin JA, Leal S, Belmont JW European journal of human genetics : EJHG 2009 Jun 17 6 811-9
- Endoscopic Versus Open Carpal Tunnel Release: A Detailed Analysis Using Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing at an Academic Medical Center.
- National database study of modifiable, patient-specific factors and the risk of perioperative complications following elective hand surgery
- Outcomes following surgical management of periprosthetic fractures around the elbow
- Outcomes of total elbow arthroplasty as performed for arthritis versus trauma indications
- Radiographic and functional outcomes with varying surgical techniques of dorsal bridge plate fixation for complex, intra-articular distal radius fractures
- Hand Surgery
- Elbow Injuries & Disorders
- Hand & Wrist Conditions
- Elbow Conditions