- Medical School - St Martinus University Faculty of Medicine, Curacao (2003-2009)
- Residency - Saint Peter's University Hospital/Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (2010-2013), Internal Medicine
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016-2018), Rheumatology
- Chief Resident - Saint Peter's University Hospital/Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (2013-2014), Internal Medicine
Luigino Bernabela, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
Dr. Bernabela earned his medical degree at the St. Martinus University Faculty of Medicine in Curacao. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Saint Peter's University Hospital/Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where he served as Chief Resident. He also completed a certificate program in clinical research at Drexel University College of Medicine. He then received advanced training in rheumatology through a fellowship at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Bernabela joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Bernabela’s research focus is on improving quality of care to patients with rheumatoid arthritis and with immune-related side effects from newer cancer treatments. He also has an interest in musculoskeletal ultrasound for the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatic diseases, and he incorporates this technique in his clinical practice.
He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Physicians, the American College of Rheumatology, the American Medical Association, and the Ultrasound School of North American Rheumatologists.
He is fluent in English, Spanish, and Dutch.
- American College of Physicians (2013), Member
- USSONAR (2016), Member
- American College of Rheumatology (2016), Member
Oral contraceptive causing renal artery thrombosis.
Bhargava A, Chopra A, Bernabela L, Chopra T BMJ case reports 2013 Jan 2013
Predictors of Clostridium difficile infection-related mortality among older adults.
Chopra T, Awali RA, Biedron C, Vallin E, Bheemreddy S, Saddler CM, Mullins K, Echaiz JF, Bernabela L, Severson R, Marchaim D, Lephart P, Johnson L, Thyagarajan R, Kaye KS, Alangaden G American journal of infection control 2016 11 44 11 1219-1223
Impact of cefepime therapy on mortality among patients with bloodstream infections caused by extended-spectrum-ß-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli.
Chopra T, Marchaim D, Veltman J, Johnson P, Zhao JJ, Tansek R, Hatahet D, Chaudhry K, Pogue JM, Rahbar H, Chen TY, Truong T, Rodriguez V, Ellsworth J, Bernabela L, Bhargava A, Yousuf A, Alangaden G, Kaye KS Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy 2012 Jul 56 7 3936-42
- Oral contraceptive causing renal artery thrombosis.
Showing 2 locations