- Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital (2012-2013), Medical Biochemical Genetics
- Medical School - Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora Del Rosario Facultad de Medicina (1997-2003)
- Residency - St. Barnabas Hospital - Pediatric Residency (2007-2010), Pediatrics
- Residency - Baylor College of Medicine (2010-2012), Medical Genetics
Luis Umana, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Genetics & Metabolism
Luis Umaña received his medical degree in 2003 from Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario in Bogotá, Colombia. He worked as a general physician and as auxiliary Professor of Physiology at Universidad Autónoma de Bucaramanga in Colombia. In 2007, he moved to New York to pursue residency training in pediatrics, which he completed at St. Barnabas Hospital. After completing pediatric training, he moved to Houston where he completed his Clinical Genetics Residency in 2012, and a Medical Biochemical Genetics Fellowship in 2013, both at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Umaña is Board certified in General Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP), and in Clinical Genetics and in Medical Biochemical Genetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG).
He was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018.
- Society for Inherited Metabolic Disorders (SIMD)
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Medical Genetics
- Resident Teaching Award 2009, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Texas Super Doctors - Rising Stars 2016, Texas Monthly Magazine
Scaglia F and Lee BH, eds. Inborn Errors of Metabolism: From Neonatal Screening to Metabolic Pathways.
Umaña LA, Craigen WJ.(Ed.) (2014), Oxford University Press.
- Scaglia F and Lee BH, eds. Inborn Errors of Metabolism: From Neonatal Screening to Metabolic Pathways.
Genética clínica comunitaria: Exploración de patología genética en Boyacá, Colombia
Velasco HM, Martin AM, Galvis J, Buelvas L, Sanchez Y, Umaña LA, Acosta J. Revista de Salud Pública 2017 19 (1) 32-38
Assessment of large copy number variants in patients with apparently isolated congenital left-sided cardiac lesions reveals clinically relevant genomic events.
Hanchard NA, Umana LA, D'Alessandro L, Azamian M, Poopola M, Morris SA, Fernbach S, Lalani SR, Towbin JA, Zender GA, Fitzgerald-Butt S, Garg V, Bowman J, Zapata G, Hernandez P, Arrington CB, Furthner D, Prakash SK, Bowles NE, McBride KL, Belmont JW American journal of medical genetics. Part A 2017 Jun
Natural History of Sanfilippo Syndrome Type C in Boyacá, Colombia.
Velasco HM, Sanchez Y, Martin AM, Umaña LA Journal of child neurology 2017 Feb 32 2 177-183
Methionyl-tRNA Formyltransferase (MTFMT) Deficiency Mimicking Acquired Demyelinating Disease.
Pena JA, Lotze T, Yang Y, Umana L, Walkiewicz M, Hunter JV, Scaglia F Journal of child neurology 2016 Feb 31 2 215-9
MCTP2 is a dosage-sensitive gene required for cardiac outflow tract development.
Lalani SR, Ware SM, Wang X, Zapata G, Tian Q, Franco LM, Jiang Z, Bucasas K, Scott DA, Campeau PM, Hanchard N, Umaña L, Cast A, Patel A, Cheung SW, McBride KL, Bray M, Craig Chinault A, Boggs BA, Huang M, Baker MR, Hamilton S, Towbin J, Jefferies JL, Fernbach SD, Potocki L, Belmont JW Human molecular genetics 2013 Nov 22 21 4339-48
A male newborn with VACTERL association and Fanconi anemia with a FANCB deletion detected by array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH).
Umaña LA, Magoulas P, Bi W, Bacino CA American journal of medical genetics. Part A 2011 Dec 155A 12 3071-4
Mediated learning experience and concept maps: a pedagogical tool for achieving meaningful learning in medical physiology students.
González HL, Palencia AP, Umaña LA, Galindo L, Villafrade M LA Advances in physiology education 2008 Dec 32 4 312-6
- Genética clínica comunitaria: Exploración de patología genética en Boyacá, Colombia
- Clinical management of inborn errors of metabolism