- Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital (2012-2013), Medical Biochemical Genetics
- Medical School - Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora Del Rosario Facultad de Medicina (1997-2003)
- Residency - St. Barnabas Hospital - Pediatric Residency (2007-2010), Pediatrics
- Residency - Baylor College of Medicine (2010-2012), Medical Genetics
Luis Umana, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Genetics and Metabolism
Luis Umaña received his medical degree in 2003 from Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario in Bogotá, Colombia. He worked as a general physician and as auxiliary Professor of Physiology at Universidad Autónoma de Bucaramanga in Colombia. In 2007, he moved to New York to pursue residency training in pediatrics, which he completed at St. Barnabas Hospital. After completing pediatric training, he moved to Houston where he completed his Clinical Genetics Residency in 2012, and a Medical Biochemical Genetics Fellowship in 2013, both at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Umaña is Board certified in General Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP), and in Clinical Genetics and in Medical Biochemical Genetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG).
He has been included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list.
- Society for Inherited Metabolic Disorders (SIMD)
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Medical Genetics
- D Magazine Best Doctor 2022
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist 2020-2021
- Texas Super Doctors - Rising Stars 2016, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Resident Teaching Award 2009, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Disorders of One Carbon Metabolism in Scaglia F and Lee BH, eds. Inborn Errors of Metabolism: From Neonatal Screening to Metabolic Pathways.
Umaña LA, Craigen WJ. (2014), Oxford University Press.
- Disorders of One Carbon Metabolism in Scaglia F and Lee BH, eds. Inborn Errors of Metabolism: From Neonatal Screening to Metabolic Pathways.
Mediated learning experience and concept maps: a pedagogical tool for achieving meaningful learning in medical physiology students.
González HL, Palencia AP, Umaña LA, Galindo L, Villafrade M LA Advances in physiology education 2008 Dec 32 4 312-6
MCTP2 is a dosage-sensitive gene required for cardiac outflow tract development.
Lalani SR, Ware SM, Wang X, Zapata G, Tian Q, Franco LM, Jiang Z, Bucasas K, Scott DA, Campeau PM, Hanchard N, Umaña L, Cast A, Patel A, Cheung SW, McBride KL, Bray M, Craig Chinault A, Boggs BA, Huang M, Baker MR, Hamilton S, Towbin J, Jefferies JL, Fernbach SD, Potocki L, Belmont JW Human molecular genetics 2013 Nov 22 21 4339-48
Natural History of Sanfilippo Syndrome Type C in Boyaca, Colombia.
Velasco HM, Sanchez Y, Martin AM, Umaña LA Journal of child neurology 2017 Feb 32 2 177-183
Assessment of large copy number variants in patients with apparently isolated congenital left-sided cardiac lesions reveals clinically relevant genomic events.
Hanchard NA, Umana LA, D'Alessandro L, Azamian M, Poopola M, Morris SA, Fernbach S, Lalani SR, Towbin JA, Zender GA, Fitzgerald-Butt S, Garg V, Bowman J, Zapata G, Hernandez P, Arrington CB, Furthner D, Prakash SK, Bowles NE, McBride KL, Belmont JW American journal of medical genetics. Part A 2017 Jun
A male newborn with VACTERL association and Fanconi anemia with a FANCB deletion detected by array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH).
Umaña LA, Magoulas P, Bi W, Bacino CA American journal of medical genetics. Part A 2011 Dec 155A 12 3071-4
Genetica clinica comunitaria: Exploracion de patologia genetica en Boyaca, Colombia
Velasco HM, Martin AM, Galvis J, Buelvas L, Sanchez Y, Umaña LA, Acosta J. Revista de Salud Pública 2017 19 (1) 32-38
Methionyl-tRNA Formyltransferase (MTFMT) Deficiency Mimicking Acquired Demyelinating Disease.
Pena JA, Lotze T, Yang Y, Umana L, Walkiewicz M, Hunter JV, Scaglia F Journal of child neurology 2016 Feb 31 2 215-9
- Mediated learning experience and concept maps: a pedagogical tool for achieving meaningful learning in medical physiology students.
- Clinical management of inborn errors of metabolism