- Residency - University of Connecticut Health Center (2004-2008), Internal Medicine
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012-2015), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Medical School - Universidade Federal Do Bahia (1996-2002)
Marconi Abreu, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
Dr. Abreu was born and raised in Brazil. After finishing medical school there, he completed his residency and also served as a Chief Resident at the University of Connecticut. He then practiced as an internist in Fall River, Massachusetts where he was involved in several community projects in diabetes and served as clinical instructor for the Boston College Nurse Practitioner Program. In 2012 he moved to Dallas to pursue his fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism at UTSW. His passion for education and interest in clinical research in diabetes led him to stay as faculty at UTSW. Dr. Abreu enjoys helping patients meet their goals by empowering them to be in the “driver’s seat” of their care. In his spare time he likes to cook, travel and play the guitar.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (2014), Member
- American Diabetes Association (2004), Member
- The Endocrine Society (2013), Member
- Pamela Kisluk Spirit Award 2007, University of Connecticut
- Exceptional Contributor to the Brazilian Community of Taunton, MA 2010
- Daniel W. Foster, MD Award for Excellence in Clinical Training 2016, UT Southwestern
Implementation of a systematic approach to diabetes in primary care in Bahia, Brazil improves metabolic outcomes: PRODIBA-Programa de Interiorização da Assistência ao Diabetes na Bahia (Project for Dissemination of Diabetes Care in the State of Bahia).
Chaves-Fonseca RM, Matos OS, Lordelo RA, Abreu M, Farias MG, Coutinho JF, Ribeiro MN, Matteoni-Athayde L, Lessa I, Pousada J, Oliveira M, Lopes C, Strock E, Mazze R Diabetic medicine : a journal of the British Diabetic Association 2009 Mar 26 3 286-92
- Implementation of a systematic approach to diabetes in primary care in Bahia, Brazil improves metabolic outcomes: PRODIBA-Programa de Interiorização da Assistência ao Diabetes na Bahia (Project for Dissemination of Diabetes Care in the State of Bahia).
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Type-2 Diabetes