- Medical School - University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine (1999-2003)
- Residency - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2003-2006), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School - University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2006-2008), Medical Education
- Other Post Graduate Training - University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2006-2008)
Rachel Bonnema, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - General Internal Medicine
Rachel Bonnema, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She is also Associate Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine.
Dr. Bonnema earned her medical degree at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine (women’s health track) and also received advanced training through an internal medicine fellowship with a focus in women’s health at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr. Bonnema has a master’s degree in medical education from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Bonnema is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and serves on the Program Planning Committee for the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (APDIM). She is a member of APDIM and the Society of General Internal Medicine.
She has delivered scores of presentations, contributed to the book Textbook for Internal Medicine Education Programs, and published several academic articles. Her academic work is focused on women’s health, behavioral health, and communication skills.
In 2015, she earned the LeeRoy Meyer Teaching Award from the Nebraska Chapter of the American College of Physicians.
- Association of Chiefs & Leaders of General Internal Medicine (2018), Member
- American College of Physicians (2006), Fellow
- Society of General Internal Medicine (2006), Member
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (2008), Member
- Lawrence Reardon Award for Professionalism 2006, University of Pittsburgh
- Alpha Omega Alpha 2003, Medical Honor Society
- Department of Medicine Top Teacher Award 2014, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Nebraska Chapter of the ACP LeeRoy Meyer Teaching Award 2015, American College of Physicians
Developing a Curriculum in Textbook for Internal Medicine Education Programs (Toolkit Series), 12th Ed.
Chick DA, Bonnema RA (2017), Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine
Contraception in Conn's Current Therapy 2017
Bonnema RA, Spencer AL (2017), Elsevier
- Developing a Curriculum in Textbook for Internal Medicine Education Programs (Toolkit Series), 12th Ed.
An Effective Multimodal Curriculum to Teach Internal Medicine Residents Evidence-Based Breast Health.
Corbelli J, Bonnema R, Rubio D, Comer D, McNeil M Journal of graduate medical education 2014 Dec 6 4 721-5
The new extended-cycle levonorgestrel-ethinyl estradiol oral contraceptives.
Bonnema RA, Spencer AL Clinical medicine insights. Reproductive health 2011 Sep 5 49-54
Use of the Gail model and breast cancer preventive therapy among three primary care specialties.
Corbelli J, Borrero S, Bonnema R, McNamara M, Kraemer K, Rubio D, Karpov I, McNeil M Journal of women's health (2002) 2014 Sep 23 9 746-52
Primary care management of chronic pelvic pain in women.
Bonnema R, McNamara M, Harsh J, Hopkins E Cleveland Clinic journal of medicine 2018 Mar 85 3 215-223
Workshop preparation and presentation: a valuable form of scholarship for the clinician-educator.
Spagnoletti CL, Spencer AL, Bonnema RA, McNamara MC, McNeil MA Journal of graduate medical education 2013 Mar 5 1 155-6
Physician adherence to U.S. Preventive Services Task Force mammography guidelines.
Corbelli J, Borrero S, Bonnema R, McNamara M, Kraemer K, Rubio D, Karpov I, McNeil M Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health 2014 May-Jun 24 3 e313-9
Emergency Contraception: A multi-specialty survey of clinician knowledge and practices.
Batur P, Cleland K, McNamara M, Wu J, Pickle S Contraception 2015 Sep
Contraception choices in women with underlying medical conditions.
Bonnema RA, McNamara MC, Spencer AL American family physician 2010 Sep 82 6 621-8
- An Effective Multimodal Curriculum to Teach Internal Medicine Residents Evidence-Based Breast Health.
Showing 1 locations