Through our multi-disciplinary concussion program, we provide comprehensive patient care for concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI) resulting from sports injuries, accidents, falls, and other scenarios.
UT Southwestern is a leader in brain research to pioneer new evaluations and treatments for brain trauma, and we have one of the nation’s premier treatment centers.
Our multidisciplinary team includes physicians, neuropsychologists, and nurses who are specialists in brain injuries, as well as physical and occupational therapists and social workers. Using the latest technologies and advancements in rehabilitation medicine, we provide individualized care, based on each patient’s needs.
Treatment can include:
- Further diagnostic studies and referrals as needed to neuro-optometry, neuro-endocrinology, and for balance and autonomic testing
- Cognitive and behavioral treatments provided by our psychology team
- Vestibular, balance, strengthening, and aerobic exercises from our physical therapists
- Vision and activities of daily living therapy from our occupational therapists
- Cognitive therapy from our speech language pathologists
- Vocational assessment and counseling
We also see patients with concussions at UT Southwestern Frisco and UT Southwestern Monty and Tex Moncrief Medical Center at Fort Worth.
Preparing for Your Appointment
To make the most of your time with the doctor, prepare a list of questions ahead of time and bring it to your appointment.
On the day of the appointment, please arrive 30 minutes early to allow time for parking and registration. We do our best to see patients at their scheduled appointment time. Please try to complete assigned questionnaires via MyChart or by using a smart tablet provided by the clinic before the appointment.
Please bring the following items:
- Current insurance card
- Method of payment
- Current medications
- Any records from other evaluations, including neuroimaging
- Completed paperwork, if you received forms before the visit
To facilitate ongoing communication, we recommend patients sign up with MyChart, which allows patients to communicate directly with doctors, request prescription refills, update contact information, view test results, and request clinic appointments. Sign in to or sign up for MyChart.
Canceling an Appointment
If you need to cancel your appointment, please notify the center at least 48 hours in advance so that we can accommodate other patients waiting to schedule an appointment.
Prescriptions and Refills
It is very important that you do not run out of your medication. Be sure that you have sufficient refills to last until your next appointment with your provider. We are happy to provide you with a written prescription upon request.
If you run out of refills, please call your pharmacy and your pharmacist will fax a refill request to us. Please allow us 24 to 48 hours to process refill requests.