See the Patient Resource Guide (PDF) for an overview of the amenities, services, and clinics at UT Southwestern.
The University Hospital Simmons Cancer Center Pain Clinic provides advanced therapies and compassionate care for patients with acute, chronic, or breakthrough pain caused by cancer.
Our cancer pain specialists understand the physical debilitation and emotional stress that chronic pain causes and are sensitive to our patients’ needs.
Our Pain Management Services
After a comprehensive evaluation by a team of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, psychologists, and anesthesiologists who specialize in pain management, a UT Southwestern cancer pain specialist thoroughly explains your treatment options.
Depending on the specific type of pain, our specialists may prescribe:
- Steroidal or nonsteroidal medication
- Physical therapy
- Exercise programs
- Pool therapy
- Intrathecal injection
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- An appropriate minimally invasive treatment
The program offers advanced minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Epidural injections: Medication is delivered into the epidural space in the spine, relieving pain.
- Selective nerve root blocks: An anti-inflammatory medication is injected into the affected nerve root, which provides significant pain relief.
- Sympathetic nerve root blocks: Anesthetic agents are injected around the affected sympathetic nerves to provide pain relief and assess damage to the sympathetic nervous system.
Your First Appointment
Although we will make most of the arrangements for your appointment, there are a few things you can do to be prepared. Please:
- Bring your insurance information and/or a form of payment.
- Bring a list of your current prescriptions and over-the-counter (nonprescription) drugs, vitamins, or supplements, as well as a list of known drug allergies.
- Arrange for your medical records and X-rays to be sent to us, or bring them with you.
- Feel free to bring someone with you, ask questions, and take notes.
Valet and self-parking are available.
The Only NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in North Texas
Simmons Cancer Center is the first and only medical center in North Texas to earn the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive designation.
This elite distinction, which is held by only about 50 cancer centers nationwide, recognizes innovative research and excellence in patient care. It is the gold standard for cancer programs.