Patients needing treatment for advanced heart failure, evaluation for a ventricular assist device (VAD), or potential heart transplantation can be referred to the UT Southwestern Advanced Heart Failure Clinic at Christus Trinity Mother Frances Tyler.
Advanced heart failure patient characteristics include:
- More than one hospitalization or emergency department visit in the last year for congestive heart failure
- Systolic blood pressure < 100 mm Hg
- Labile renal function (rising creatinine and blood urea nitrogen)
- Inability to tolerate beta blockers or ACE inhibitors
- Persistent New York Heart Association Functional Classification of three or four symptoms (shortness of breath while dressing, shoring, or walking one block)
- Unintentional weight loss
- "Non-responder" to biventricular pacing
Physicians can call 877-391-1528 to make a referral for a patient.