UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Weight Wellness Program offers patients who are overweight or obese the most advanced treatments available for weight management. Our goal is to provide innovative and compassionate adult weight management and bariatric care.
Through collaboration, education, and medical therapies, we partner with our patients to develop a skill set that empowers them to take ownership of their wellness journey.
Who We Are
Our interdisciplinary group, led by board-certified endocrinologists specializing in nonsurgical weight management and bariatric care, includes a team of nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, a licensed psychologist, and registered nurses – all dedicated to your success in the program.
Our team includes Jaime Almandoz, M.D.; Maria Isabel Esparza, M.D.; Leisha Bevoni, M.M.S., PA-C, CDE; Lanese Ogunkua, ANP-C, RN; Carrie Prill, M.S.N., APRN, AGNP-C; Jeffrey Schellinger, MCN, RDN, LD; Hilary Trevino, FNP-C, RN; Mona Yazhari, M.P.A.S., PA-C, CDE.
What We Provide
- Nutrition and lifestyle coaching for adult weight management
- Medications to support weight loss as an adjunct to lifestyle modifications
- Management of nutritional deficiencies and gastrointestinal syndromes after weight loss surgery
- Counseling support to facilitate lifestyle changes that reinforce long term metabolic and weight health
- Collaboration with transplant providers for those seeking weight loss to qualify for organ transplant surgery
- Collaboration with the bariatric surgery centers for individuals interested in both medical and surgical tools for achieving weight loss goals
Our facility also offers a full range of state-of-the-art resources that allow us to deliver accurate diagnostic services and successful treatments, including:
- Body composition analysis
- Estimation of metabolic rate
- Lab testing to assess metabolic health and nutritional deficiencies
Please check in at the clinic 30 minutes prior to your appointment start time to facilitate the registration and rooming process. Please allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours for new patient appointments and 30 minutes for follow up visits.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Completed paperwork, if received prior to the appointment
- Current medical and prescription insurance card
- Method of payment
- Current medications or a complete list of medicines with doses, including all over-the-counter medications, herbs, and vitamins
- Glucometer, continuous glucose monitor, or blood glucose log (if applicable)
What to expect during your first visit (1.5-2 hours):
- You may be asked to complete questionnaires designed to help guide the providers toward your value-based goals.
- We will complete an analysis of your body composition with a bioelectrical impedance scale and measurement of your waist circumference.
- We will assess vital signs and review your health history, including current and past medications.
- We will complete a nutritional assessment as well as offer nutritional counseling provided by a registered dietitian.
- You will meet with a specialist physician and collaborate on a plan for your care.
Sign Up for MyChart
We encourage you to enroll in MyChart, our secure online health management tool, prior to your appointment. MyChart allows you to make appointments, request prescription refills, and privately communicate with your UT Southwestern health care teams. Learn more about MyChart or call 214-648-8888 to enroll.