- Medical School - King Edward Medical University, Pakistan (1997-2002)
- Fellowship - Childrens Hospital of Michigan (2012-2013), Pediatric Hemostasis/thrombosis
- Fellowship - Children's Hospital of Michigan (2009-2012), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Residency - Children's Hospital of Michigan (2007-2009), Pediatrics
- Internship - University of Oklahoma Health Science Center (2006-2007), Pediatrics
Ayesha Zia, M.D.
- Pediatrics - Hematology-Oncology
Dr. Ayesha Zia is a pediatric hematologist at the Children's Medical Center's Hemostasis Thrombosis Center, and the University of Texas Southwestern School of Medicine. Previous NHF (National Hemophilia Foundation) clinical fellowship award recipient, her clinical/translational research interests are geared toward pediatric patients with bleeding and clotting disorders. Dr. Zia also leads the multidisciplinary “Young Women’s Blood Disorders Clinic” at Children's Medical Center, focused on improving the care of adolescent girls with menorrhagia and bleeding disorders as well as girls with thrombophilia first and only program in North Texas that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of bleeding and clotting disorders and accompanying reproductive problems in young women. Dr. Zia has a particular interest in the use of global coagulation assays, like thromboelatography and thrombin generation, in the diagnosis and management of congenital bleeding and clotting disorders. Current projects are focused on 1) elucidating the biology of hormonal induced thrombosis and predictors of thrombosis in young girls on oral contraceptives, 2) outcomes of thrombosis in the pediatric population including recurrent thrombosis and post-thrombotic syndrome, 3) Improving diagnostic strategies and quality of life in adolescent females with menorrhagia and bleeding disorders and 4) thromboprophylaxis in pediatric patients undergoing orthopedic surgeries. Dr. Zia is also the institutional con-investigator for several clinical trials investigating new treatments in hemostasis and thrombosis, including new medications for hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, and blood clots.
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (2002), Member
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) (2009), Member
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) (2009), Member
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) (2011), Member
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society (2011), Member
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2014)
- Wolf Zuelzer Research Award 2012, Award Recipient for outstanding research during pediatric Hematology/Oncology fellowship
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) Clinical Fellowship Award 2011-2013, Award Recipient with $200,000 funded during award period
- Chief Fellow in Pediatric Hematology Oncology 2011
- American Society of Hematology Clinical Research Training Institute Award 2013
- George R. Buchanan Teaching award for excellence in Fellow Education 2014
- CCRAC Research Award in Junior Investigator Category 2015-2017
Berhardt LV eds. Advances in Medicine and Biology, vol 40
Ayesha N. Zia and Meera Chitlur(Ed.) (2013), Nova Publishers
- Berhardt LV eds. Advances in Medicine and Biology, vol 40
Challenges of diagnosing and managing the adolescent with heavy menstrual bleeding.
Zia A, Rajpurkar M Thrombosis research 2016 May 143 91-100
High Hemoglobin Is an Independent Risk Factor for the Development of Hemolysis During Pediatric Extracorporeal Life Support.
Jenks CL, Zia A, Venkataraman R, Raman L Journal of intensive care medicine 2017 Jan 885066617708992
Thromboelastography identifies children with rare bleeding disorders and predicts bleeding phenotype.
Zia AN, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M, Ozgonenel B, Lusher J, Callaghan JH, Callaghan MU Haemophilia : the official journal of the World Federation of Hemophilia 2015 Jan 21 1 124-32
Management of Thrombotic Complications in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
Zia AN, Chitlur M Indian journal of pediatrics 2013 Aug
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Young Women with Blood Disorders.
Dickerson KE, Menon NM, Zia A Pediatric clinics of North America 2018 Jun 65 3 543-560
Use of a Modified Classic BT Shunt in a Patient With Multiple Conduit Obstructions With Positive Lupus Anticoagulant.
Bhattarai P, Zia A, Forbess JM, Guleserian KJ, Hupp SR, Pirolli T World journal for pediatric & congenital heart surgery 2017 Jan 2150135116688180
Emergency department visits in children with hemophilia.
Özgönenel B, Zia A, Callaghan MU, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M, Lusher JM Pediatric blood & cancer 2013 Jul 60 7 1188-91
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia and vitamin B12 deficiency secondary to a gastric intrinsic factor gene mutation.
Zia A, Fisgin T, Sokolowski C, Tanner SM, Savasan S Pediatric blood & cancer 2012 Oct 59 4 766-7
Rivaroxaban dose adjustment using thrombin generation in severe congenital protein C deficiency and warfarin-induced skin necrosis.
Menon N, Sarode R, Zia A Blood advances 2018 Jan 2 2 142-145
Glutathione Depletion, Pentose Phosphate Pathway Activation, and Hemolysis in Erythrocytes Protecting Cancer Cells from Vitamin C Induced Oxidative Stress.
Zhang ZZ, Lee EE, Sudderth J, Yue Y, Zia A, Glass D, DeBerardinis RJ, Wang RC The Journal of biological chemistry 2016 Sep
Global coagulation assays: a clinical perspective.
Zia A, O'Brien SH Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis 2015 Jan 39 1 89-94
Hypercoagulability in adolescent girls on oral contraceptives-global coagulation profile and estrogen receptor polymorphisms.
Zia A, Callaghan MU, Callaghan JH, Sawni A, Bartlett H, Backos A, Marshall S, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M American journal of hematology 2015 Aug 90 8 725-31
Hereditary intrinsic factor deficiency in chaldeans.
Sturm AC, Baack EC, Armstrong MB, Schiff D, Zia A, Savasan S, de la Chapelle A, Tanner SM JIMD reports 2013 7 13-8
- Challenges of diagnosing and managing the adolescent with heavy menstrual bleeding.