- Medical School - Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University (1986-1994)
- Graduate School - University of Groningen, Molecular Genetics
- Fellowship - University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (1998-2001), Gastroenterology
- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (1995-1998), Internal Medicine
Ezra Burstein, M.D., Ph.D.
- Berta M. and Dr. Cecil O. Patterson Chair in Gastroenterology
- Internal Medicine - Digestive & Liver Diseases
- Cancer Screening
Dr. Burstein received his medical degree from Cayetano Heredia University in Lima, Peru. He completed Internal Medicine residency training at UT Southwestern and Gastroenterology fellowship training at the University of Michigan. Thereafter, he was also a research fellow at the Vaccine Research Center at the NIH. After completion of his training, he joined the Faculty at University of Michigan (2002-2008), and was later recruited to UT Southwestern, joining the Departments of Internal Medicine (Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases) and Molecular Biology.
Dr. Burstein′s research training and expertise is in the area of molecular immunology. Broadly, the work in his laboratory is focused on basic mechanisms that control inflammatory responses in human disease, particularly inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Work from the laboratory has investigated the regulation of the NF-kB transcription factor, which led to the discovery of the COMMD protein family. Thereafter, his group has also investigated the basic functions of these factors in immune regulation, including the recent discovery of their role in endosomal protein sorting. More recently, the lab began investigating the genetic and molecular basis of altered immunity in patients with defined Mendelian disorders. These studies have led to important discoveries, including the identification of cytosolic RNA:DNA hybrids as regulators of the interferon pathway.
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) (1999)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) (2012)
- Valedictorian 1994, Medical School of Cayetano Heredia University
- John S. Miller Award 1998, Outstanding Performance as a House Officer, UT Southwestern Medical School
- AGA Research Scholar Award 2003, Foundation for Digestive Health and Nutrition
- Helmsley Scholar 2010, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
- Member 2012, The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
- Physician of the Year 2017, North Texas Chapter, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation
Endosomal sorting of Notch receptors through COMMD9-dependent pathways modulates Notch signaling.
Li H, Koo Y, Mao X, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Morris LL, Jia D, Miyata N, Faulkner RA, van Deursen JM, Vooijs M, Billadeau DD, van de Sluis B, Cleaver O, Burstein E The Journal of cell biology 2015 Nov 211 3 605-17
DNA polymerase-a regulates the activation of type I interferons through cytosolic RNA:DNA synthesis.
Starokadomskyy P, Gemelli T, Rios JJ, Xing C, Wang RC, Li H, Pokatayev V, Dozmorov I, Khan S, Miyata N, Fraile G, Raj P, Xu Z, Xu Z, Ma L, Lin Z, Wang H, Yang Y, Ben-Amitai D, Orenstein N, Mussaffi H, Baselga E, Tadini G, Grunebaum E, Sarajlija A, Krzewski K, Wakeland EK, Yan N, de la Morena MT, Zinn AR, Burstein E Nature immunology 2016 Mar
COMMD1 is linked to the WASH complex and regulates endosomal trafficking of the copper transporter ATP7A.
Phillips-Krawczak CA, Singla A, Starokadomskyy P, Deng Z, Osborne DG, Li H, Dick CJ, Gomez TS, Koenecke M, Zhang JS, Dai H, Sifuentes-Dominguez LF, Geng LN, Kaufmann SH, Hein MY, Wallis M, McGaughran J, Gecz J, van de Sluis B, Billadeau DD, Burstein E Molecular biology of the cell 2014 Oct
Copper Metabolism Domain-containing 1 Represses Genes that Promote Inflammation and Protects Mice From Colitis and Colitis-associated Cancer.
Li H, Chan L, Bartuzi P, Melton SD, Weber A, Ben-Shlomo S, Varol C, Raetz M, Mao X, Starokadomskyy P, van Sommeren S, Mokadem M, Schneider H, Weisberg R, Westra HJ, Esko T, Metspalu A, Kumar V, Faubion WA, Yarovinsky F, Hofker M, Wijmenga C, Kracht M, Franke L, Aguirre V, Weersma RK, Gluck N, van de Sluis B, Burstein E Gastroenterology 2014 Apr
COMMD1 disrupts HIF-1alpha/beta dimerization and inhibits human tumor cell invasion.
van de Sluis B, Mao X, Zhai Y, Groot AJ, Vermeulen JF, van der Wall E, van Diest PJ, Hofker MH, Wijmenga C, Klomp LW, Cho KR, Fearon ER, Vooijs M, Burstein E The Journal of clinical investigation 2010 Jun 120 6 2119-30
XIAP Is a copper binding protein deregulated in Wilson's disease and other copper toxicosis disorders.
Mufti AR, Burstein E, Csomos RA, Graf PC, Wilkinson JC, Dick RD, Challa M, Son JK, Bratton SB, Su GL, Brewer GJ, Jakob U, Duckett CS Molecular cell 2006 Mar 21 6 775-85
COMMD proteins, a novel family of structural and functional homologs of MURR1.
Burstein E, Hoberg JE, Wilkinson AS, Rumble JM, Csomos RA, Komarck CM, Maine GN, Wilkinson JC, Mayo MW, Duckett CS The Journal of biological chemistry 2005 Jun 280 23 22222-32
CCDC22 deficiency in humans blunts activation of proinflammatory NF-?B signaling.
Starokadomskyy P, Gluck N, Li H, Chen B, Wallis M, Maine GN, Mao X, Zaidi IW, Hein MY, McDonald FJ, Lenzner S, Zecha A, Ropers HH, Kuss AW, McGaughran J, Gecz J, Burstein E The Journal of clinical investigation 2013 Apr
Retriever is a multiprotein complex for retromer-independent endosomal cargo recycling.
McNally KE, Faulkner R, Steinberg F, Gallon M, Ghai R, Pim D, Langton P, Pearson N, Danson CM, Nägele H, Morris LL, Singla A, Overlee BL, Heesom KJ, Sessions R, Banks L, Collins BM, Berger I, Billadeau DD, Burstein E, Cullen PJ Nature cell biology 2017 Oct 19 10 1214-1225
Regulation of NF-?B activity by competition between RelA acetylation and ubiquitination.
Li H, Wittwer T, Weber A, Schneider H, Moreno R, Maine GN, Kracht M, Schmitz ML, Burstein E Oncogene 2011 Jun
COMMD1 promotes the ubiquitination of NF-kappaB subunits through a cullin-containing ubiquitin ligase.
Maine GN, Mao X, Komarck CM, Burstein E The EMBO journal 2007 Jan 26 2 436-47
The gene product Murr1 restricts HIV-1 replication in resting CD4+ lymphocytes.
Ganesh L, Burstein E, Guha-Niyogi A, Louder MK, Mascola JR, Klomp LW, Wijmenga C, Duckett CS, Nabel GJ Nature 2003 Dec 426 6968 853-7
GCN5 is a required cofactor for a ubiquitin ligase that targets NF-kappaB/RelA.
Mao X, Gluck N, Li D, Maine GN, Li H, Zaidi IW, Repaka A, Mayo MW, Burstein E Genes & development 2009 Apr 23 7 849-61
A novel role for XIAP in copper homeostasis through regulation of MURR1.
Burstein E, Ganesh L, Dick RD, van De Sluis B, Wilkinson JC, Klomp LW, Wijmenga C, Brewer GJ, Nabel GJ, Duckett CS The EMBO journal 2004 Jan 23 1 244-54
- Endosomal sorting of Notch receptors through COMMD9-dependent pathways modulates Notch signaling.
- Mucosal immunity and immune-tumor interactions in the GI tract
- Genetics of inflammatory disorders: Out lab investigates the genetic basis of disorders of immune function, particularly affecting the GI tract
- COMMD proteins: We study the regulation of endosomal protein sorting and immune function by members of this protein family.
- Cancer Screening
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease