- Medical School - American University of Beirut, New York (1992-1996)
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003-2004), Geriatric Psychiatry
- Research Fellowship - University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (1997-1998), Neuroscience
- Fellowship - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002-2003), Addiction Psychiatry
- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001-2002), Adult Psychiatry
- Residency - University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (1998-2001), Adult Psychiatry
Hicham Ibrahim, M.D.
- Adult Psychiatry
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Hicham Ibrahim, M.D., M.B.A., is Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He also serves as Associate Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of Ambulatory Services. He was previously Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs of the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Chief of Psychiatry of the Mental Health service at the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Dr. Ibrahim completed his medical education at the American University of Beirut and his residency in Psychiatry at the University of Michigan Medical Center and UT Southwestern Medical Center. He also completed a research fellowship in Neuroscience at the University of Michigan, two clinical fellowships in Addiction and Geriatric Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a Master of Business Administration at the University of Texas at Dallas.
Dr. Ibrahim has been repeatedly selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America since 2011. He has won numerous institutional and national teaching awards including the American Psychiatric Association Irma Bland Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents and Nancy Roeske Award for Excellence in Teaching Medical Students. He has published peer-reviewed articles in top professional journals such as American Journal of Psychiatry and Annual Reviews in Pharmacology and Toxicology, given invited presentations at national scientific meetings, and served as a reviewer for several professional journals.
In 2019, Dr. Ibrahim received UT Southwestern's Program Development Award.
Education & Training
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctor 2022
- Best Doctors in America; Best Doctors. Inc. (2019-2020)
- Program Development Award – UT Southwestern (2019)
- Outstanding PGY4 Teacher of the Year Award; Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018-2019)
- Outstanding PGY4 Teacher of the Year Award; Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017-2018)
- Best Doctors in America; Best Doctors Inc. (2016-2017)
- Outstanding PGY4 Teacher of the Year Award; Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016-2017)
- Outstanding PGY3 Teacher of the Year Award; Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014-2015)
- Irma Bland Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents; American Psychiatric Association (2014)
- Best Doctors in America; Best Doctors Inc. (2013-2014)
- Outstanding PGY3 Teacher of the Year Award; Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013-2014)
- Nancy C. Roeske Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education; American Psychiatric Association (2013)
- Best Doctors in America; Best Doctors Inc. (2012-2013)
Books & Publications
Comparison of self-report and clinician ratings on two inventories of depressive symptomatology.
Rush AJ, Carmody TJ, Ibrahim HM, Trivedi MH, Biggs MM, Shores-Wilson K, Crismon ML, Toprac MG, Kashner TM Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.) 2006 Jun 57 6 829-37
The 16-Item Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (QIDS), clinician rating (QIDS-C), and self-report (QIDS-SR): a psychometric evaluation in patients with chronic major depression.
Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Ibrahim HM, Carmody TJ, Arnow B, Klein DN, Markowitz JC, Ninan PT, Kornstein S, Manber R, Thase ME, Kocsis JH, Keller MB Biological psychiatry 2003 Sep 54 5 573-83
Self-reported depressive symptom measures: sensitivity to detecting change in a randomized, controlled trial of chronically depressed, nonpsychotic outpatients.
Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Carmody TJ, Ibrahim HM, Markowitz JC, Keitner GI, Kornstein SG, Arnow B, Klein DN, Manber R, Dunner DL, Gelenberg AJ, Kocsis JH, Nemeroff CB, Fawcett J, Thase ME, Russell JM, Jody DN, Borian FE, Keller MB Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology 2005 Feb 30 2 405-16
One-year clinical outcomes of depressed public sector outpatients: a benchmark for subsequent studies.
Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Carmody TJ, Biggs MM, Shores-Wilson K, Ibrahim H, Crismon ML Biological psychiatry 2004 Jul 56 1 46-53
Setting Measurement-Based Care in Motion: Practical Lessons in the Implementation and Integration of Measurement-Based Care in Psychiatry Clinical Practice.
Martin-Cook K, Palmer L, Thornton L, Rush AJ, Tamminga CA, Ibrahim HM, Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment 2021 17 1621-1631
A Clinician's Perspective on Biomarkers.
Rush AJ, Ibrahim HM, Focus (American Psychiatric Publishing) 2018 Apr 16 2 124-134
Treating impaired cognition in schizophrenia.
Ibrahim HM, Tamminga CA Current pharmaceutical biotechnology 2012 Jun 13 8 1587-94
Identification and management of suicide risk in u.s. Military veterans.
Chapman L, Ibrahim H Texas medicine 2015 111 2 56-60
The Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology, Clinician Rating (IDS-C) and Self-Report (IDS-SR), and the Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology, Clinician Rating (QIDS-C) and Self-Report (QIDS-SR) in public sector patients with mood disorders: a psychometric evaluation.
Trivedi MH, Rush AJ, Ibrahim HM, Carmody TJ, Biggs MM, Suppes T, Crismon ML, Shores-Wilson K, Toprac MG, Dennehy EB, Witte B, Kashner TM Psychological medicine 2004 Jan 34 1 73-82
Nucleus-specific expression of ionotropic glutamate receptor subunit mRNAs and binding sites in primate thalamus.
Ibrahim HM, Healy DJ, Hogg AJ, Meador-Woodruff JH Brain research. Molecular brain research 2000 Jun 79 1-2 1-17
Dopaminergic abnormalities in select thalamic nuclei in schizophrenia: involvement of the intracellular signal integrating proteins calcyon and spinophilin.
Clinton SM, Ibrahim HM, Frey KA, Davis KL, Haroutunian V, Meador-Woodruff JH The American journal of psychiatry 2005 Oct 162 10 1859-71
Teaching Motivational Interviewing Skills to Psychiatry Trainees: Findings of a National Survey.
Abele M, Brown J, Ibrahim H, Jha MK Academic psychiatry : the journal of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training and the Association for Academic Psychiatry 2014 May
Ionotropic glutamate receptor binding and subunit mRNA expression in thalamic nuclei in schizophrenia.
Ibrahim HM, Hogg AJ, Healy DJ, Haroutunian V, Davis KL, Meador-Woodruff JH The American journal of psychiatry 2000 Nov 157 11 1811-23
Schizophrenia: treatment targets beyond monoamine systems.
Ibrahim HM, Tamminga CA Annual review of pharmacology and toxicology 2011 Feb 51 189-209
Attitudes Towards Substance Use Disorders and Association with Motivational Interviewing Education: A Survey of Psychiatry Chief Residents.
Jha MK, Abele MK, Brown JA, Ibrahim H, Wakhlu S Academic psychiatry : the journal of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training and the Association for Academic Psychiatry 2016 Mar
Speculations on the Future of Psychiatric Diagnosis.
Rush AJ, Ibrahim HM The Journal of nervous and mental disease 2018 Jun 206 6 481-487
- Comparison of self-report and clinician ratings on two inventories of depressive symptomatology.
- Adult Psychiatry
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Results: 1 Locations
Multispecialty Psychiatry Clinicat UT Southwestern at Empire Plaza 1 1430 Empire Central Drive, 1st Floor
Dallas, Texas 75247 214-645-8500 Directions to Multispecialty Psychiatry Clinic Parking Info for Multispecialty Psychiatry Clinic