Learn how to get a consultation with UTSW's psychiatry team.
Psychiatry and Psychology
UT Southwestern Medical Center is home to one of the premier centers in the world for the study, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health and substance use disorders for people of all ages.
As part of one of the largest psychiatry programs in the country, our physicians draw on the strength of our research, using the latest, most effective treatments to deliver exceptional behavioral health care for people in Dallas and throughout North Texas.
Exceptional Care for All Types of Behavioral Health Disorders
At the UT Southwestern Department of Psychiatry, our specialists provide high-quality evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment for people who have behavioral health disorders. With our focus on specialty care, we have expertise in virtually all areas of modern psychiatric practice, ranging from psychoanalysis and cognitive behavioral therapy to evidence-based medication management and neurostimulation.
Patients receive care from experienced physicians, nurses, social workers, and other care providers for mental illness, emotional disturbances, social dysfunction, and substance abuse.
Teens Need Routine Depression Screening
More than 50 percent of people who will develop depression have their first episode before age 18. Almost 80 percent of people suffering from a mental health condition never reach out for professional help. Dr. Madhukar Trivedi is pushing for depression to be part of routine medical care including annual physicals before the start of school.
As a major referral center, UT Southwestern treats thousands of patients each year at our inpatient and outpatient facilities. Our teams also provide psychiatric and psychological care for patients in every medical and surgical department, working together closely to ensure that the mental and physical health of patients is addressed. People come to us for:
- Our specialists: Our board-certified psychiatrists are recognized as authorities on all types of mental health disorders, such as depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety, dementia, eating disorders, and substance use.
- Research-based treatment: Our mental health professionals remain actively involved in clinical research, which allows us to bring the latest advancements to our patient care.
- Leadership in national research programs: Physicians in the Division of Psychiatry participate in numerous research studies sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). UT Southwestern is among the top 10 NIH partners for psychiatry research. Our clinical trials program gives patients access to treatments that are available years before they are offered to the general public.
In addition to providing psychiatric care at UT Southwestern, we are pleased to offer expert consultation to community mental health providers and their patients.
Patients seeking a consultation at the Multispecialty Psychiatry Clinic should have their current mental health provider send a referral. Once a referral has been received, call 214-645-8300 to schedule the consultation.
Treatment for Behavioral Health Disorders
At UT Southwestern, our highly skilled psychiatrists, psychologists, and other behavioral health care professionals specialize in care for children, teens, and adults of all ages.
Our psychiatry and psychology clinic providers offer expert care for patients referred from UT Southwestern primary care and specialty physicians, as well as for patient referrals from community physicians.
Learn more about the treatments and services we provide:
Clinical Trials in Psychiatry
Through our participation in clinical trials, we can provide certain outpatient services and care at no cost for patients who are eligible to participate in the trials. Researchers at UT Southwestern are evaluating the latest, most advanced therapies for a variety of disorders, such as:
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
The department is one of five centers in the nation to receive funding from the National Institute of Mental Health to study adolescents with depression who have attempted suicide. Learn more about clinical trials and other research in psychiatry at UT Southwestern.
Support Groups and Online Resources for Psychiatry and Psychology
At UT Southwestern, our caring medical professionals are committed to meeting the needs of our patients and their families and enhancing their quality of life. If needed, our team can direct people to a variety of informative and enriching support groups and other resources.
Many of our patients and their families have found these services helpful on the road to healing and improved health. Please note that each link goes to a separate website that is not part of the UT Southwestern site.
- Academy for Eating Disorders
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- American Psychiatric Association: Information for Patients & Families
- Autism Society of America
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation
- Mental Health America of Greater Dallas
- National Academy of Neuropsychology
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: Texas
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- National Autism Association
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Mental Health America
- Office on Women's Health (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Related Conditions and Treatments
September 9, 2022
December 9, 2021
September 23, 2020
Results: 4 Locations
Richardson, Texas 75080 972-669-7195