- Fellowship - University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2007-2008), Pain Medicine
- Residency - Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (2004-2007), Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Internship - Advocate Health Care (2003-2004), Internal Medicine
- Medical School - UNT HSC College of Osteopathic Medicine (1999-2003)
Kavita Trivedi, D.O.
- Physical Medicine & Rehab
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Spine Disorders
Kavita A. Trivedi, D.O., an Associate Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) at UT Southwestern Medical Center, is a specialist in the nonsurgical treatment of spine and other types of musculoskeletal pain.
Dr. Trivedi is certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in PM&R and pain management.
In addition to her clinical and teaching responsibilities, Dr. Trivedi is the Associate Medical Director of the Multidisciplinary Spine Center and serves on UT Southwestern’s Clinical Competency Committee and Medical Education Committee.
She is also involved in research investigating long-term outcomes spine patients' responses to non-surgical treatments.
Dr. Trivedi earned her Doctor of Osteopathy degree at the University
of North Texas Health Science Center, Texas College of Osteopathic
She completed an internal medicine internship at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital; a three-year physical medicine and rehabilitation residency at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago/McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, serving as chief resident the final year; and an interventional pain/spine medicine fellowship at the University of Michigan Health System.
She also holds a B.S. in biology, with emphasis in neuroscience, from the University of Texas at Dallas.
Dr. Trivedi is a member of professional organizations that include the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, International Spine Intervention Society, North American Spine Society, and Texas Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Society.
She was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018, named a Super Doctor by Texas Monthly in 2018, and is a two-time Texas Monthly Rising Star.
Meet Dr. Trivedi
Spine and Musculoskeletal Specialist
UT Southwestern Medical Center spine and musculoskeletal specialist Kavita Trivedi, D.O., offers nonsurgical relief for back pain and neck pain as well as spine conditions and other musculoskeletal disorders. She also is an expert in electrodiagnostic medicine, the medical subspecialty that applies neurophysiologic techniques to diagnose and evaluate patients with impairments of the neurologic, neuromuscular, and muscular systems.
Many of Dr. Trivedi’s patients suffer from pain caused by injuries, as well as conditions such as sciatica, arthritis, radiculopathy, degenerative disc disease, scoliosis, and spinal cancer.
“My goal is to improve my patients’ quality of life,” she says. “That can mean helping a dad play soccer with his kids again, helping a woman be able to sit through a movie with her husband, or helping a patient be able to sleep through the night for the first time in years.”
A two-time Texas Monthly Rising Star, Dr. Trivedi also nonsurgically treats patients with shoulder pain, hip pain, knee pain, and tailbone pain.
Dr. Trivedi delivers therapies that include medication, pain-relieving injections, and radiofrequency ablation (RFA), a minimally invasive procedure that uses a tiny heated probe to block pain signals in the nerves.
She also performs nerve-conduction and electromyography (EMG) studies to help diagnose a variety of nerve problems and provides physical therapy evaluations.
“I offer every patient a personalized, comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan,” she says.
When patients require surgery to treat their conditions or they have exhausted their nonsurgical treatment options without seeing improvement, Dr. Trivedi refers them to her surgical colleagues.
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- International Society of Interventional Spine (2006)
- Texas PM&R Society (2008)
- Texas Medical Association (2008)
- North American Spine Society (2008)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2008)
- Top Doctor Award in Texas Monthly 2018
- Best Doctor in Dallas in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 2018
- Dean’s Capstone Award through the Leaders Developing in Academic Departments Program 2017
- Scholl Recognition Award for Rehabilitation Research 2007
- Walter E Heller Chief Resident Award 2006, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Meyer S. Gunther, MD Award 2005, Given to a second year resident at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Success of initial and repeated medial branch neurotomy for zygapophysial joint pain: a systematic review.
Smuck M, Crisostomo RA, Trivedi K, Agrawal D PM & R : the journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation 2012 Sep 4 9 686-92
Negative selectivity and the evolution of protease cascades: the specificity of plasmin for peptide and protein substrates.
Hervio LS, Coombs GS, Bergstrom RC, Trivedi K, Corey DR, Madison EL Chemistry & biology 2000 Jun 7 6 443-53
Evaluation of seizure-like episodes in survivors of moderate and severe traumatic brain injury.
Hudak AM, Trivedi K, Harper CR, Booker K, Caesar RR, Agostini M, Van Ness PC, Diaz-Arrastia R The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation 2004 Jul-Aug 19 4 290-5
Dexmedetomidine as a novel therapeutic for postoperative pain in a patient treated with buprenorphine.
Brummett CM, Trivedi KA, Dubovoy AV, Berland DW Journal of opioid management 2009 May-Jun 5 3 175-9
- Success of initial and repeated medial branch neurotomy for zygapophysial joint pain: a systematic review.
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Spine Disorders
- Non-Surgical Treatment for Spine Disorders
- Back, Neck, & Spine Pain