- Undergraduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (1997-2001), Psychology
- Graduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (2003-2008), Psychology
- Graduate School - U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners (MCFP) (2007-2008), Psychology
- Other Post Graduate Training - UT Southwestern Medical School (2008-2009), Psychology
- Graduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (2003-2006), Psychology
Laura Howe-Martin, Ph.D.
Assistant Director of Behavioral Sciences, UT Southwestern Moncrief Cancer Institute
Laura Howe-Martin, Ph.D., is a Licensed Psychologist with the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. Dr. Howe-Martin joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2009. Prior to receiving her doctoral degree from the University of North Texas, she received much of her training within the Federal Bureau of Prisons, treating inmates with chronic mental illness and comorbid medical complications. She also conducted dissertation research with the UNT Contextual Psychology Group. After graduation, Dr. Howe-Martin completed postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern with the Consult-Liaison Psychiatry division and remained with the C/L division serving Parkland Hospital for the next 5 years.
Dr. Howe-Martin is now the Assistant Director of Behavioral Sciences at the UT Southwestern Moncrief Cancer Institute in Fort Worth, where she also directs the psychology program, treats patients, and supervises doctoral interns. She initiated the Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizure Program within the Parkland Behavioral Health Center, where she continues to see patients. Within the UT Southwestern Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, she teaches the Advanced Abnormal Psychology and Cultural Diversity courses, and is the Chair of the Curriculum Committee. Dr. Howe-Martin is also the Associate Director for Continuing Education within the department of Psychiatry, and develops an ongoing series of Psychiatry Continuing Education events for providers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
TX License #34235; Expires 5/31/2022
- American Psychological Association - Division 12 (Society of Clinical Psychology; SCP Mentorship Program); Division 35 (Psychology of Women) (2009)
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA)
- Association for Women in Psychology (AWP)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2016)
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) (2015)
- Dallas Psychological Association (2013)
- Outstanding Teaching Award 2014, UT Southwestern - Division of Psychology
- Selected to LEAD program Class of 2014 2014-2015, UT Southwestern - Office of Faculty Diversity and Development
- Outstanding Graduate Student 2004, University of North Texas Psychology Program
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar 2001, University of Birmingham, England
- Outstanding Educator, School of Biomedical Sciences 2016, Awarded by the UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers (SWAT)
- Institute for Academic Feminist Psychologists 2012, American Psychological Association Division 35: Society for the Psychology of Women
Other psychodynamic schools in Kaplan and Sadock?s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (10th edition)
Brenner, A., & Howe-Martin, L.S. (2017), Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott
- Other psychodynamic schools in Kaplan and Sadock?s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (10th edition)
What Advisors Want from Advisees: A Survey Within One Academic Psychiatry Department.
Camp ME, Howe-Martin L Academic psychiatry : the journal of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training and the Association for Academic Psychiatry 2017 Oct
A Pilot Program for Implementing Mental Health Screening, Assessment, & Navigation (MH-SCAN) in a Community-Based Cancer Center.
Howe-Martin L, Jester B, Walker R, de la Garza N, Jha M, Tovian C, Levinson S, Argenbright K, Trivedi M Psycho-oncology 2017 Mar
Repetitive Nonsuicidal Self-Injury as Experiential Avoidance Among a Community Sample of Adolescents.
Howe-Martin LS, Murrell AR, Guarnaccia CA Journal of clinical psychology 2012 May
Book Review: Advances in Health Psychology: Critical Approaches
Howe-Martin, LS Psychology of Women Quarterly In Press
- What Advisors Want from Advisees: A Survey Within One Academic Psychiatry Department.
- Cancer Psychology