- Undergraduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (1997-2001), Psychology
- Graduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (2003-2008), Psychology
- Graduate School - U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners (MCFP) (2007-2008), Psychology
- Other Post Graduate Training - UT Southwestern Medical School (2008-2009), Psychology
- Graduate School - University of North Texas at Denton (2003-2006), Psychology
Laura Howe-Martin, Ph.D.
Assistant Director of Behavioral Sciences, UT Southwestern Moncrief Cancer Institute
- Cancer Psychology
Laura Howe-Martin, Ph.D., joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2009. Prior to earning her doctoral degree at the University of North Texas, she received much of her training within the Federal Bureau of Prisons, treating inmates with chronic mental illness and comorbid medical complications. She also conducted dissertation research with the UNT Contextual Psychology Group. After graduation, Dr. Howe-Martin completed postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern with the Consult-Liaison Psychiatry division and remained with the division serving Parkland Hospital for the next five years.
Dr. Howe-Martin is now the Director of Behavioral Sciences at the UT Southwestern Moncrief Cancer Institute in Fort Worth, where she also treats patients, supervises trainees, and engages in clinical research. She initiated the Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizure Program within the Parkland Behavioral Health Center, where she continues to treat patients and supervise. Within the UT Southwestern Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, she teaches the Advanced Abnormal Psychology and Cultural Diversity courses, and is the Chair of the Curriculum Commitee.
Dr. Howe-Martin is also a member of the American Psychological Association's Continuing Education Committee, and has recently co-edited with Dr. Adam Brenner an introductory book on psychotherapy for trainees and early career professionals (Psychotherapy: A Practical Introduction).
TX License #34235; Expires 5/31/2022
- American Psychological Association - Divisions 2, 12, 35, 45
- American Psychological Association (2018-2023), Continuing Education Committee
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA)
- Dallas Psychological Association (2013)
- Association for Women in Psychology (AWP)
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS)
- Outstanding Educator, School of Biomedical Sciences 2016, Awarded by the UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers (SWAT)
- Selected to LEAD program Class of 2014 2014-2015, UT Southwestern - Office of Faculty Diversity and Development
- Outstanding Teaching Award 2014, UT Southwestern - Division of Psychology
- Institute for Academic Feminist Psychologists 2012, American Psychological Association Division 35: Society for the Psychology of Women
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar 2001, University of Birmingham, England
Psychotherapy: A Practical Introduction
Brenner, A.M., & Howe-Martin, L.S. (2020), Wolters-Kluwer
Other psychodynamic schools in Kaplan and Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (10th edition)
Brenner, A., & Howe-Martin, L.S. (2017), Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott
- Psychotherapy: A Practical Introduction
Repetitive Nonsuicidal Self-Injury as Experiential Avoidance Among a Community Sample of Adolescents.
Howe-Martin LS, Murrell AR, Guarnaccia CA Journal of clinical psychology 2012 May
The Role of Social Support in Adolescent/Young Adults Coping with Cancer Treatment.
Pennant S, C Lee S, Holm S, Triplett KN, Howe-Martin L, Campbell R, Germann J, Children (Basel, Switzerland) 2019 Dec 7 1
A Pilot Program for Implementing Mental Health Screening, Assessment, & Navigation (MH-SCAN) in a Community-Based Cancer Center.
Howe-Martin L, Jester B, Walker R, de la Garza N, Jha M, Tovian C, Levinson S, Argenbright K, Trivedi M Psycho-oncology 2017 Mar
Review of Shades of Gray: Writing the New American Multiracialism
Howe-Martin, L.S. Psychology of Women Quarterly 2019 3 43
A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Group for Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients: A Review of a Pilot Program.
Hall BC, Short VM, Giberson S, Howe-Martin L, Journal of adolescent and young adult oncology 2020 Jan
Beyond the Language Barrier: Recommendations for Working with Interpreters in Individual Psychotherapy.
Martin, B., Benedetto, N., Elledge, D., Najjab, A., & Howe-Martin, L. Psychotherapy. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 2020
Book Review: Advances in Health Psychology: Critical Approaches
Howe-Martin, LS Psychology of Women Quarterly In Press
What Advisors Want from Advisees: A Survey Within One Academic Psychiatry Department.
Camp ME, Howe-Martin L Academic psychiatry : the journal of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training and the Association for Academic Psychiatry 2017 Oct
- Repetitive Nonsuicidal Self-Injury as Experiential Avoidance Among a Community Sample of Adolescents.
- Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures
- Teaching and Education
- Cancer Psychology