Search for opportunities to participate in a clinical research study.
New Patient Appointment or 214-645-8300
Cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern
Medical Center are nationally known for excellence in treating a wide variety
of skin conditions. Using advanced treatment options such as dermabrasion, our
specialists provide compassionate care to help patients achieve their appearance
Expertise in Dermabrasion
Dermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that uses a rapidly rotating device to remove the top layers of skin. After dermabrasion, the skin that grows back is usually smoother and more youthful looking.
Specialists in cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery have extensive training and experience in using dermabrasion for a wide variety of skin conditions or problems. Our team of doctors has board certifications in cosmetic and plastic surgery and dermatology. We’re always involved in research to improve the use of dermabrasion and apply it in more types of skin conditions.
Candidates for Dermabrasion
Dermabrasion is skin resurfacing that can smooth skin and improve its appearance. The procedure can help treat:
- Scars caused by acne, surgery, or injuries
- Fine lines and wrinkles, especially those around the mouth
- Sun-damaged skin, such as age spots
- Uneven skin tone
- Swelling and redness of the nose (rhinophyma)
- Precancerous growths (actinic keratoses)
Dermabrasion Treatment Options
Dermabrasion can be done alone or in combination with other cosmetic procedures, such as a face lift or chemical peel. We perform dermabrasion using two types of devices:
- Diamond wand: The device has a laser-cut diamond tip that rotates to “sand” away the top layers of skin.
- Wire brush: This tool also rotates to remove the top layers of skin.
What to Expect From Dermabrasion
As an outpatient procedure, dermabrasion allows patients to go home the same day. First, our surgeons discuss anesthesia options with patients to provide comfort during the procedure. We typically use local anesthesia to numb the area to be treated and a sedative to help the patient relax but not sleep. For severe cases, we might use general anesthesia to put the patient to sleep during the procedure.
The dermabrasion procedure itself can last a few minutes to more than an hour, depending on the size of the area to be treated. Some patients might need more than one procedure for deeply scarred skin or large areas.
In the procedure, the surgeon uses the dermabrasion device to remove as many layers of skin as necessary to minimize the appearance of the scar or wrinkle or remove growths. The surgeon applies a treatment after dermabrasion to help promote healing, which can include ointment, a dressing, dry treatment, or a combination of these.
During their recovery, patients can expect to:
- Have red, swollen, sensitive skin for several weeks
- Receive medication to relieve pain and/or reduce the risk of infection for a few days after the procedure
- Possibly have a scab or crust over the treated area as it heals
- Have pink skin for up to three months after the procedure
- Return to work and most activities within a week
- Resume more strenuous activities after a few weeks
We’re one of the world’s top academic medical centers, with a unique legacy of innovation in patient care and scientific discovery.
Results: 3 Locations
Dermatologyat UT Southwestern Monty and Tex Moncrief Medical Center at Fort Worth 600 South Main Street, 2nd Floor, Suite 2.500
Fort Worth, Texas 76104 817-882-2460 Directions to Dermatology
Otolaryngology Clinicat West Campus Building 3 2001 Inwood Road, 6th and 7th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75390 214-645-8898 Directions to Otolaryngology Clinic Parking Info for Otolaryngology Clinic
Plastic Surgery Clinicat Outpatient Building 1801 Inwood Road, 5th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75390 214-645-2353 Directions to Plastic Surgery Clinic Parking Info for Plastic Surgery Clinic