Patient and Family Education and Support
Even after discharge, UT Southwestern’s inpatient rehabilitation units are working for you.
- Support groups and ongoing referrals to UT Southwestern providers are available, and will be reviewed with you before your discharge from our unit.
- We will contact you for your thoughts about your stay in rehabilitation.
- Patient and family education is a primary goal during your stay on our inpatient rehabilitation units, and you will leave with educational and medication management materials in your “My Health Portfolio” binder.
- Cancer Prevention - Smoking Cessation
- Stroke and Heart Disease
- Stroke Symptoms/Warning Signs
- Brain and Spine Trauma
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Support Groups and Resources
- Community Collaborative Stroke Outreach: UT Southwestern, Texas Health Dallas, and Parkland Hospital bring education to stroke survivors and their family and caregivers through a series of classes held several times a year at different locations throughout Dallas. Some of the topics covered include preventing stroke, medication safety, and caregiver resources. If you are interested in attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stroke Support Group: “The Journey” meets the fourth Thursday of the month from 6–7 p.m. at Zale Lipshy Pavilion – William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, located at 5151 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390, in conference room CR-1 (on the first floor). Contact Audra Rabroker by email to sign up.
- Dallas Acquired Brain Injury Support Group: Meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month. Both family and ABI/TBI survivors are welcome. Held at Zale Lipshy Pavilion in conference room CR-1. For questions, please email Marlene Vega.
- Spinal Cord Injury Support Group: Meets the first Thursday of every month from 1- 2 p.m. at Parkland Hospital in the private dining room. For more information and to RSVP, email SCIsupport@phhs.org.
- Adaptive Sports Expo: This free annual event is designed to increase awareness of adaptive sports and promote active, healthy, and engaged lifestyles. People of all ages and ability levels were invited to attend. Learn about this year's event and visit our Facebook page.
- Brain Injury Survivor Resources
- Brain Injury Association of America
- Brain Injury Network of Dallas (BIND)
- DFW Concussion Support Group
- Hope after Brain Injury Facebook Page
- Moderate to Severe Brain Injury: A Practical Guide for Families – (Brain Injury Association of America)
- North Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Model System
- The Texas Brain Injury Advisory Council
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS)
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) – Acquired Brain Injury
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) Emergency Preparedness
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) – Acquired Brain Injury Support Groups
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) – Aging
- State of Texas Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS) – Healthcare Delivery System(s)
- Texas Brain Injury Resource Guide
- Amputee Resources
- Amputee Coalition (nationwide, with links to local networks/coalitions) - UT Southwestern Inpatient Rehabilitation is recognized as a continued Healthcare Facility Partner with the Amputee Coalition for reimagining patient care coordination to people living with limb loss and limb differences.
- Dallas Amputee Network (DAN)
- The Amputee Coalition
- Amputee Coalition Partner Facilities
- Burn Survivors Resources
- Spinal Cord Survivors Resources