UT Southwestern provides the highest-quality care and helps restore patients to full and productive lives. Our transplantation teams are there for patients, from initial evaluation through the life of the organ
Using the most advanced techniques and technologies, UT Southwestern Medical Center’s kidney transplant specialists are experts at helping kidney failure patients achieve the miracle of transplantation. The goal of kidney transplantation is to both prolong and improve quality of life.
As the largest kidney transplant program, UT Southwester offers personalized service that most other programs can’t match.
Through our transplant network located throughout Texas, we make kidney transplantation more accessible for people living in Tyler and Lubbock. Our transplant operations take place at Clements University Hospital, which boasts one of the country’s shortest lengths of stay after surgery.
Highlights of Our Kidney Transplant Program
- UT Southwestern Medical Center has earned High Performing recognition for treatment of kidney failure from U.S. News & World Report, placing us among the country’s leading hospitals for this area of care.
- Our physicians are experts in living donation, enabling us to provide both donors and recipients with personalized attention to detail in their care, resulting in improved care and outcomes.
- Our experience and expertise results in exceptional patient outcomes – just one of the reasons our program experienced 153% growth from 2018 to 2020.
- Our patients benefit from a short length of stay, with a median of three days in the hospital after surgery – shorter than the national median.
- Our program provides innovative treatments, such as personalized approaches to immunosuppression therapy and leading-edge clinical trials.
- Convenient satellite clinics in Lubbock and Tyler, and expanded use of telemedicine, allows us to deliver transplant care for patients throughout Texas, bringing our expertise closer to your home.
- We take part in a number of clinical trials aimed at improving patient care and outcomes. Clinical trials give patients access to the most promising new treatments before they are available to the public.
- As members of the largest living-donor kidney transplant program in North Texas, our physicians are experts in living donation, resulting in one- and three-year survival rates of 100% for living-donor transplants.
Learn about the evaluation and wait list process.
Kidney Transplant Surgery
Experience a kidney living-donor kidney transplant directly from the OR.
Life After Transplant
Learn what to expect after surgery and get details about our support services.
Surgeries in Sync
Two simultaneous surgeries with one single goal: to give the kidney recipient a new lease on life. Follow two surgical teams as they perform a living-donor kidney transplant.
This video is graphic in nature. Viewer discretion is advised.
Best viewed on the latest versions of Chrome and Safari.
Meet Our Kidney Transplant Team
The UT Southwestern kidney transplant program has grown to become one of the most successful programs in the nation. Our one-year renal graft survival rate exceeds 94 percent, according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, a statistic that includes challenging cases that UT Southwestern often accepts.
David Wojciechowski, D.O.
Dr. Wojciechowski is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He is the Medical Director of the Kidney Transplantation Program.
Parsia Vagefi, M.D.
Dr. Vagefi is the Chief of the Division of Surgical Transplantation at UT Southwestern and an Associate Professor of Surgery. He leads the team responsible for the explosive growth at UT Southwestern’s kidney transplant program.
Refer a Patient
Transplant Intake Coordinator: Helen Bankston, RN, B.S.N.
Showing 3 locations
Tyler, Texas 75701 903-531-8126
808 Joliet Ave., Suite 120
Lubbock, Texas 79415