- Medical School - Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (2002-2006)
- Fellowship - Piedmont Heart Institute (2009-2011), Preventive Medicine
- Residency - Emory University School of Medicine (2006-2009), Internal Medicine
- Fellowship - Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (2011-2015), Cardiology
- Graduate School - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2013-2014)
- Other Post Graduate Training - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2013-2014)
Parag Joshi, M.D.
- Internal Medicine - Cardiology
- Preventive Cardiology
- Cardiac Imaging
Schedule an Appointment Now
Existing patients may also schedule an appointment using MyChart.
Parag H. Joshi, M.D., an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine’s Division of Cardiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in heart disease and preventive cardiology, including abnormal cholesterol, family history of heart disease, and early atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes. He also performs and researches noninvasive imaging.
Dr. Joshi earned his medical degree at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine and completed a residency in internal medicine at Emory University School of Medicine. He received advanced training through cardiovascular diseases and prevention fellowships at Piedmont Heart Institute, Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He also received a Master of Health Science in clinical investigation from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
He is certified in cardiovascular disease by the American Board of Internal Medicine and in echocardiography by the National Board of Echocardiography. He is also board certified in cardiovascular CT, which is a noninvasive way of looking for plaque in the coronary arteries.
He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015, where he also serves as the Director of Cardiology Grand Rounds.
Dr. Joshi has delivered a variety of presentations, written dozens of peer-reviewed academic articles, and has contributed to several books. He is an Assistant Editor for the journal Circulation and an ad hoc reviewer for a variety of academic journals, including the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and the Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.
Dr. Joshi is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and is a member of several professional organizations, including the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography and the American Heart Association.
In 2019 and 2020, Dr. Joshi was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor Rising Star. In 2017, he was named a Next Gen Innovator by Cardiology Today magazine.
Dr. Joshi was born and raised in Dallas, and is excited to be practicing medicine in his hometown.
- Vice-Chair, National Fellows Committee (2014-2015), Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
- American College of Cardiology (2015), Fellow
- American College of Physicians (2015), Member
- Fellows Advisory Board - Cardiology Today publication (2014-2015), Member
- American Heart Association (2015), Member
- Texas Monthly Super Doctors, Rising Star 2020
- Texas Monthly Super Doctors, Rising Star 2019
- AHA Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award Finalist 2014, Young Investigator's Award at the American Heart Association Annual Meeting
- Inaugural Pollin Fellow in Cardiovascular Prevention 2013-2015, Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease
- Best Overall Abstract 2013, American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting
- "Up & Coming Cardiologists" 2013, Cardiosource WorldNews Feature
- Best Fellow's Abstract 2014, American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting
Section 1: Cardiology; Chapter 3: Lipid Disorders in The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, 5th Edition
Keramati AR, AbdTT, Blumental RS, Joshi PH, Stone NJ (2015), Elsevier
Lipids in Aronow - Translational Research in Coronary Artery Disease
Martin SS, Michos ED, Joshi PH (2015), Elsevier
Statin Therapy: Impact on Dyslipidemia and Cardiovascular Events in Diabetic Patients in Lipoproteins in Diabetes Mellitus
Martin SS, Joshi PH, Jones Sr (2014), Springer-Humana
- Section 1: Cardiology; Chapter 3: Lipid Disorders in The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, 5th Edition
Coronary atherosclerosis imaging by coronary CT angiography: current status, correlation with intravascular interrogation and meta-analysis.
Voros S, Rinehart S, Qian Z, Joshi P, Vazquez G, Fischer C, Belur P, Hulten E, Villines TC JACC. Cardiovascular imaging 2011 May 4 5 537-48
A point-by-point response to recent arguments against the use of statins in primary prevention: this statement is endorsed by the American Society for Preventive Cardiology.
Joshi PH, Chaudhari S, Blaha MJ, Jones SR, Martin SS, Post WS, Cannon CP, Fonarow GC, Wong ND, Amsterdam E, Hirshfeld JW, Blumenthal RS Clinical cardiology 2012 35 7 404-9
What is the role of calcium scoring in the age of coronary computed tomographic angiography?
Joshi PH, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS, Blankstein R, Nasir K Journal of nuclear cardiology : official publication of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology 2012 Dec 19 6 1226-35
Friedewald-estimated versus directly measured low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and treatment implications.
Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly MB, Brinton EA, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Joshi PH, Kulkarni KR, Mize PD, Kwiterovich PO, Defilippis AP, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2013 Aug 62 8 732-9
The M235T single nucleotide polymorphism in the angiotensinogen gene is associated with coronary artery calcium in patients with a family history of coronary artery disease.
Joshi PH, Xu H, Lestrange R, Flockhart N, Kirkland B, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Marvasty I, Bhatt K, Brown C, Rinehart S, Miller J, Voros S Atherosclerosis 2013 Feb 226 2 433-9
Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, guideline targets, and population percentiles for secondary prevention in 1.3 million adults: the VLDL-2 study (very large database of lipids).
Elshazly MB, Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Al-Hijji MA, Kulkarni KR, Kwiterovich PO, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2013 Nov 62 21 1960-5
HDL cholesterol subclasses, myocardial infarction, and mortality in secondary prevention: the Lipoprotein Investigators Collaborative.
Martin SS, Khokhar AA, May HT, Kulkarni KR, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, Muhlestein JB, Anderson JL, Knight S, Li Y, Spertus JA, Jones SR European heart journal 2015 Jan 36 1 22-30
SCCT curriculum guidelines for general (level 1) cardiovascular CT training.
Maroules CD, Cheezum MK, Joshi PH, Williams M, Simprini LA, Nelson KH, Bittencourt MS, Carr JJ, Weigold WG, Cury RC, Blankstein R, Abbara S Journal of cardiovascular computed tomography 2015 Mar-Apr 9 2 81-8
A peripheral blood gene expression score is associated with plaque volume and phenotype by intravascular ultrasound with radiofrequency backscatter analysis: results from the ATLANTA study.
Joshi PH, Rinehart S, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Anderson H, Murrieta L, Flockhart N, Karmpaliotis D, Kalynych A, Asztalos B, Elashoff MR, Blanchard J, Rosenberg S, Brown C, Voros S Cardiovascular diagnosis and therapy 2013 Mar 3 1 5-14
- Coronary atherosclerosis imaging by coronary CT angiography: current status, correlation with intravascular interrogation and meta-analysis.
- Assessing risk for heart attack and stroke
- Coronary Calcium Scoring
- Coronary CT Angiography
- Preventive Cardiology
- Cardiac Imaging