See the Patient Resource Guide (PDF) for an overview of the amenities, services, and clinics at UT Southwestern.
A cancer diagnosis can – and often does – affect more than just the body. That’s why Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center has an experienced and compassionate psycho oncology team ready to help patients and families adjust to the emotional and psychological changes that can occur.
At the University Hospital Simmons Cancer Center Psycho Oncology Clinic, our licensed clinical psychologists and clinical therapists are specially trained to help patients with cancer relieve the stress, sadness, and worry associated with cancer and its treatment.
Our Psycho Oncology Services
Our psycho oncology team is here to support you at any stage of cancer treatment. Services we offer include:
- Initial assessment for diagnosis and treatment of overlapping psychological and cancer-related concerns
- Brief individual psychotherapy to aid in coping with cancer and in developing strategies for wellness
- Behavioral interventions to address treatment adherence and side effects
- Psychological interventions for pain and symptom management
- Caregiver and family consultation, psychoeducation, and support
- Resources for long-term therapy and comprehensive care
Your First Appointment
Although we will make most of the arrangements for your appointment, there are a few things you can do to be prepared. Please:
- Bring your insurance information and/or a form of payment.
- Bring a list of your current prescriptions and over-the-counter (nonprescription) drugs, vitamins, or supplements, as well as a list of known drug allergies.
- Arrange for your medical records and X-rays to be sent to us, or bring them with you.
- Feel free to bring someone with you, ask questions, and take notes.
Valet and self-parking are available.
The Only NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in North Texas
Simmons Cancer Center is the first and only medical center in North Texas to earn the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive designation.
This elite distinction, which is held by only about 50 cancer centers nationwide, recognizes innovative research and excellence in patient care. It is the gold standard for cancer programs.