Search for opportunities to participate in a clinical research study.
Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) surgeons and plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern Medical Center have the expertise and training needed for excellent outcomes in cheek augmentation and other facial cosmetic surgery. We’re dedicated to helping our patients achieve their aesthetic goals through innovative technology and the latest surgical techniques.
Expertise in Cheek Augmentation
Cheek augmentation, also called cheek implant, adds lift to the cheekbones or fullness to the cheeks. Implanted in a cosmetic surgical procedure, cheek implants can give the face a more youthful appearance and balance other facial features.
As one of the leading cosmetic and plastic surgery centers in the country, UT Southwestern is known for its dedication to research and patient care. We consult closely with each patient to understand their goals and provide the best options to help them achieve a natural appearance.
Candidates for Cheek Augmentation
People who can benefit from cheek augmentation include:
- Patients experiencing premature aging and loss of volume due to fat loss in the mid-face
- Older patients who wish to restore fullness and eliminate sagging in the cheeks due to the aging process
- People who wish to have more volume in their cheeks or more pronounced cheekbones
Options for Cheek Augmentation
At UT Southwestern, our options for cheek augmentation include:
- Fat transfer: Injection of fat harvested from elsewhere in the patient’s body to add fullness to the cheeks
- Hyaluronicacid filler injections: These biodegradable fillers are FDA approved and made with hyaluronicacid, which is our bodies own extracellular matrix
What to Expect From Cheek Augmentation
Cheek augmentation surgery with fat injection is an outpatient procedure, and patients can go home the same day. In the first step, our surgeons discuss anesthesia options with patients to provide comfort during the procedure. Anesthesia options include:
- Local anesthesia
- General anesthesia
For a fat transfer procedure, the surgeon makes tiny incisions to harvest fat either from the abdomen or flank and back areas and transfer it to the cheeks. Not all the fat will survive and repeat injection maybe necessary, but the amount that survives will stay forever as the injected fat becomes integrated in the bodies’ own tissue.
During their recovery, patients can expect to:
- Receive medication to relieve pain and/or reduce the risk of infection for a few days after the procedure
- Have some swelling and mild bruising that worsens for the first two to three days; most swelling goes away in about two weeks, but some minor swelling can last several weeks.
- Return to work and most activities within a week
- Resume more strenuous activities after a few weeks
Filler injections include an outpatient office visit and may need to be repeated more than once. Unlike a fat injection, the results are more reliable, but long-term maintenance with repeat injections after one year may be necessary.
Showing 4 locations
Fort Worth, Texas 76104 817-882-2430