- Medical School - Indiana University School of Medicine (2007-2011)
- Fellowship - University of Pennsylvania (2016-2018), Surgical Critical Care
- Residency - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011-2016), General Surgery
Ryan Dumas, M.D.
- Surgery - Burn, Trauma, Acute and Critical Care Surgery
Ryan P. Dumas, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of General and Acute Care Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in acute care surgery with a focus on trauma resuscitation and emergency general surgery.
Dr. Dumas earned his medical degree at the Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in general surgery at UT Southwestern and received advanced training in trauma and surgical critical care through a fellowship at the John Paul Pryor Shock Trauma and Resuscitation Center at Penn at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Board certified in both surgery and surgical critical care, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Dumas conducts and publishes research on trauma surgery, particularly on procedures that use video technology to capture and review trauma resuscitations. Additionally, he has a special interest in the use of endovascular techniques for adjunct hemorrhage control.
He’s on the editorial board of Journal of Endovascular and Hybrid Trauma and Bleeding Management and serves as an ad hoc reviewer for Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, World Journal of Surgery, Injury , Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open.
He is an active member of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST) and sits on two committees. He is an Associate Member of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST) and is the Vice Chair of the Associate Members Council (AMC).
- American College of Surgeons, FACS, October 2020
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Associate Member
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- UTSW Junior Faculty Teaching Award 2019
- UTSW Outstanding Chief Resident in Student Education 2016
DCR for Non-Trauma Patients in Damage Control Resuscitation: Identification and Treatment of Life-Threatening Hemorrhage
Ryan Peter Dumas & Jeremy W. Cannon (2020), Springer
Thoracic Injuries in Managing Dismounted Complex Blast Injuries in Military & Civilian Settings
Ryan Peter Dumas & Jeremy W. Cannon (2018)
- DCR for Non-Trauma Patients in Damage Control Resuscitation: Identification and Treatment of Life-Threatening Hemorrhage
- Selected Publications
- Vella MA, Dumas RP, Chreiman K, Wasser T, Smith BP, Reilly PM, Seamon MJ, Shiroff A. Epidural catheters are associated with an increased risk of venous thromboembolism in trauma. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020 Jan 3. PMID: 31900726
- Dumas RP, Jafari D, Moore SA, Ruffolo L, Holena DN, Seamon MJ. Emergency Department Versus Operating Suite Intubation in Operative Trauma Patients: Does Location Matter? World J Surg. 2019 Nov. 18 PMID: 31741071
- Dumas RP, Vella MA, Chreiman KC, Smith BP, Subramanian M, Maher, Z, Seamon MJ, Holena DN, Team Assessment and Decision Making is Associated with Outcomes: A Trauma Video Review Analysis Journal of Surgical Research. J Surg Res. 2019 PMID: 31635832
- Dumas RP, Holena DN, Smith BP, Jafari D, Seamon MJ, Reilly PM, Qasim Z, Cannon JW. Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta: Assessing Need in an Urban Trauma Center. J Surg Res. 2019 Jan, PMID:30502280
- Vella MA, Dumas RP, Holena DN. Supporting the Educational, Research, and Clinical Care Goals of the Academic Trauma Center: Video Review for Trauma Resuscitation. JAMA Surg. 2019, PMID:30601875
- Dumas RP, Chreiman KM, Seamon MJ, Cannon JW, Reilly PM, Christie JD, Holena DN: Benchmarking Resuscitative Thoracotomy: Using Trauma Video Review to Generate Procedural Norms Injury. 2018 Sep, PMID: 29866625
- Dumas RP, Vella MA, Hatchimonji JS, Ma L, Maher Z, Holena DN. Trauma video review utilization: a survey of practice in the United States. Am J Surg. 2019, PMID 31537325
- Dumas RP, Subramanian M, Williams BH, Eastman AL, Luk S, Minshall C, Scott DJ, Cripps MD, Laparoscopic appendectomy: a report on 1,164 operations at a single-institution, safety-net hospital Am Surg. 2018 Jun 1 PMID 29981657
- Marcaccio CL, Dumas RP, Huang Y, Wang GJ, Holena DN, Delayed Endovascular Aortic Repair is Associated with Reduced In-Hospital Mortality in Patients with Blunt Thoracic Aortic Injury, J Vasc Surg. 2018 Feb 13. PMID: 29452832
- Chreiman KM, Dumas RP, Seamon MJ, Kim PK, Reilly PM, Kaplan LJ, Christie JD, Holena DN, The IOs Have it: A Prospective Observational Study of Vascular Access Success Rates in Patients in extremis Using Video Review, J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Jan 4. PMID: 29300281
- Dumas RP, Seamon MJ, Smith BP, Cannon JW, Schwab CW, Reilly PM, Holena DN, The Epidemiology of Emergency Department Thoracotomy: Does Center Volume Matter? J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Aug, PMID: 29672440